Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • chewycov
    • By chewycov 8th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Water leaked into downstairs flat
    • #1
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    Water leaked into downstairs flat 8th Aug 18 at 4:06 PM
    So last night I took a radiator off my living room wall in preparation for painting today. It was fine but after a while the return pipe started leaking. I scrambled to get it all blocked off as quick as I could, but not before it leaked into the flat downstairs!! The guy has just put a note through my door asking for my home insurance details so he can claim for a new bed and stuff. I've got no issue with this as it is my fault, but I just want to be sure I'm following correct procedure here.

    I guess I just give him the details and be done with it, aside from presumably paying my excess?
Page 1
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 8th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 3,610 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • #2
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    As far as I am aware your neighbour cannot claim off your insurance company.

    He should claim via his own insurance company (if he is insured) who will then seek reimbursement from your insurance company.

    Contact your insurance company for advice about how you should proceed.

    Have you seen what damage has been done to his property?
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 8,330 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • #3
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    This is where flat insurance is slightly different to normal house insurance.

    You will normally have a block policy (ie one policy for the whole block of flats) that covers the BUILDIUNGS aspect ie damage to walls, floors, ceilings, kitchen cabinets etc. This is normally administered by your managing agents.

    The above is correct in so far that the guy below you would have to claim off of his policy and they would then recover costs from your insurers (or in this case the block policy as it would be classed as a buildings issue)
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,086 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    It sounds as though he is looking to make a contents claim so as others have said that would be from his own contents insurance.
    If you want to be a good neighbour you could offer to pay his excess.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 8th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 3,842 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    • #5
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • #5
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    I'm not sure that the OP would be claiming on buildings insurance - there wasn't faulty pipe work, it was because they took the radiator off the wall! Accidental.

    You need to go downstairs and check this out. How much water was it? I can't believe he needs a new bed and 'stuff.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,947Posts Today

8,772Users online

Martin's Twitter