Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nirish
    • By nirish 8th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 273Posts
    • 39Thanks
    nirish
    Solictor Advice
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    Solictor Advice 8th Aug 18 at 3:34 PM
    I am moving house but the chain fell through so I am ready but the now newly fully formed chain is 6-8weeks behind.

My query regarding my solicitor is that I paid for searches to be completed 4months ago and have received nothing. When I ring they say they are ready and the reason I haven't received any report is because the chain is behind.

Is this acceptable? I have asked to be sent a copy of the searches report on numerous occasions over the past weeks and continue to get nothing.

Am I expecting something ridiculous to see the report when no one else is ready or would you expect to be sent the information regardless.
Page 1
    • arciere
    • By arciere 8th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    arciere
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    4 months? I would tell solicitor that you could have wasted 4 months of house hunting if the searches come back with something serious.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 60,211 Posts
    • 53,550 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    Likely the searches could well be out of date. If completion is some weeks away.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • nirish
    • By nirish 9th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    nirish
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    Searches out of date? What are the implications of that?

Yes 4 months since searches began, I rang again today and made the point that it should take 6-8weeks and I want to know what the searches have found in case I am wasting my time.

They opened the excuse book, searches usually take 12-15weeks these days, we've actually been incredibly busy processing teacher house moves and have had staff illness. Said I haven't actually been waiting that long as waiting only starts after the search process completes not for 4months.

Gave no indication or promise to get my report to me and simply said my point of view was noted!

How do I get these people to send me the report I've paid for, clearly they are just going to wait until the chain catches up before sending me anything. Frustrating!
    • arciere
    • By arciere 9th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    arciere
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    They opened the excuse book, searches usually take 12-15weeks these days, we've actually been incredibly busy processing teacher house moves and have had staff illness.
    Originally posted by nirish
    Rubbish. It took less than 2 weeks for us.
    Are you sure that they're doing the searches themselves? We actually spoke to and paid a different company (suggested by the solicitor), solicitors got them when ready and we also received a copy.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 9th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    arciere
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    That you are getting out of date info. Should something come up since the searches took place, you won't know about it, obviously the longer you wait the more possibilities that you are missing something.
    But then again, that only applies if the searches are ready on their desks and they are not reading them/sending them to you. If they haven't done any paperwork yet, there's nothing out of date.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 60,211 Posts
    • 53,550 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    Searches will have to be performed again. If completion is some time away.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Very kind. But it'd be an economic nightmare. People would get the note out, see me, and think, nah I probably shou? https://t.co/BYtFaddGcW

• Today?s twitter poll: Does President Trump put you off visiting the USA?? On Friday I did a poll about cities you'? https://t.co/5gbpoA9bF9

• RT @helen_undy: We're expanding our trustee board at this exciting point in @mmhpi's development, looking for 3 talented people to join @Ma?

• Follow Martin