Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 8th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,666Posts
    • 8,762Thanks
    patchwork cat
    BT increasing price during fixed term
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:17 PM
    BT increasing price during fixed term 8th Aug 18 at 3:17 PM
    How can BT increase the price of broadband and calls part way through a fixed contract. Surely the point is that the price is fixed?

Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 8th Aug 18, 3:18 PM
    • 3,553 Posts
    • 20,283 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:18 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:18 PM
    Because the price isn't fixed.

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    How can BT increase the price of broadband and calls part way through a fixed contract. Surely the point is that the price is fixed?
    Originally posted by patchwork cat

No your terms and conditions for the contract you agreed say .

@@!!!916;We may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.@@@

As do all the adverts etc.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 8th Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    Originally posted by patchwork cat
    The only thing FIXED is the minimum term.
    • still_ill_83
    • By still_ill_83 13th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    still_ill_83
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    You'll always have the option to leave without penalty if they up charges midway through a contractual term, but most of the time people can't be bothered.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    You'll always have the option to leave without penalty if they up charges midway through a contractual term, but most of the time people can't be bothered.
    Originally posted by still_ill_83
    It seems this time round, the letter/email advising of the price increase and the option to leave penalty free, also gives the option of keeping the current price , in return for a new minimum term, so if someone was happy enough with the price (before the increase) , the service, and didn't want the hassle of changing provider , keeping the price seems a good deal, especially as the next price increase will give the opportunity to leave penalty free again , so the new minimum term isn't that much of a negative anyway
    • Incredulous
    • By Incredulous 15th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Incredulous
    • 15th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 15th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    It seems this time round, the letter/email advising of the price increase and the option to leave penalty free, also gives the option of keeping the current price , in return for a new minimum term, so if someone was happy enough with the price (before the increase) , the service, and didn't want the hassle of changing provider , keeping the price seems a good deal, especially as the next price increase will give the opportunity to leave penalty free again , so the new minimum term isn't that much of a negative anyway
    Originally posted by iniltous
    Yup. Last year Martin told us about this, i.e. how to beat the price hike, but he hasnít this year. Basically, by doing this two years running I have been on the same tariff for two years, which is better. BT are also offering this deal with a true price promise of no increases. They say itís because of all the ďconfusionĒ in previous years!! But, you have to keep an eye on when the new contract ends and either renew or leave beforehand, or they automatically put you 9n to their highest tariff! They are supposed to send out advanced warning notices and swear blind that they do, but Iíve not received one for very many years.

Of course, this guarantee only applies to the broadband contract, not calls, call packages, callminder etc.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 15th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    <They are supposed to send out advanced warning notices >>
    Are they really .

That is rather at odds with the following from Plusnet .
    The company is the first broadband provider to commit to offering customers a notification when their contract is coming to a close
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 15th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    <They are supposed to send out advanced warning notices >>
    Are they really .

That is rather at odds with the following from Plusnet .
    The company is the first broadband provider to commit to offering customers a notification when their contract is coming to a close
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I think they're referring to the price increases for BT.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Thats not how i read the poster as they say New Contract Ends .

<but, you have to keep an eye on when the new contract ends and either renew or leave beforehand, or they automatically put you 9n to their highest tariff! They are supposed to send out advanced warning notices
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 18th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    kev2009
    I'm with BT and have got my email on 7 Aug saying price increase. My issue is whist my price will only increase a bit, I have now seen i can get the same package with plusnet for much cheaper and also on top of this, my current BT package has a discount which runs out early next year and my price would move up to an eye watering £30+ quid and I only have BT fibre option 1.... so I'm seriously considering moving. Admittedly my actually price wont be £30+ because I use the line rental saver but as it stands i will loose 4 months of line rental if i switch but I will gain this back with my savings over the course of the 18 moth contract with plusnet.

I have been onto plusnet live chat and all seems ok, seems easy to switch however i've had different responses on wether i can keep using my smarthub 6. 1 conversation said yes and pointed me to a page saying what to alter for it to work, the other conversation said no it wont work and i have to use what appears to be a re-branded HH4 or HH5. I'm also considering buying my own but unsure which routers are any good these days, not had to look for a while as BT routers have been fine last few years.

Kev
    • boatman
    • By boatman 18th Aug 18, 10:45 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    boatman
    I'm with BT and have got my email on 7 Aug saying price increase. My issue is whist my price will only increase a bit, I have now seen i can get the same package with plusnet for much cheaper and also on top of this, my current BT package has a discount which runs out early next year and my price would move up to an eye watering £30+ quid and I only have BT fibre option 1.... so I'm seriously considering moving. Admittedly my actually price wont be £30+ because I use the line rental saver but as it stands i will loose 4 months of line rental if i switch but I will gain this back with my savings over the course of the 18 moth contract with plusnet.

I have been onto plusnet live chat and all seems ok, seems easy to switch however i've had different responses on wether i can keep using my smarthub 6. 1 conversation said yes and pointed me to a page saying what to alter for it to work, the other conversation said no it wont work and i have to use what appears to be a re-branded HH4 or HH5. I'm also considering buying my own but unsure which routers are any good these days, not had to look for a while as BT routers have been fine last few years.

Kev
    Originally posted by kev2009
    Bt will refund the remainder of the line rental saver, and yes, you can use your smart hub 6 on Plusnet, you'll need to enter your plusnet details in to it for it to work.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    £65 for BT home hub is usually charged if contract not finished .
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 19th Aug 18, 11:19 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    loulou41
    Will bear that in mind, I guess I will have to put up with the increase if it is by £2.50 it might work out cheaper rather than paying for the hub.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 19th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    kev2009
    Hi, well Plusnet have said it won't work so unsure as it is locked to BT and I presume they will disable it once I leave?

I bought the homehub from BT, it was not supplied to me as part of my contract. When I signed up they gave me a HH5 and then few months later Smarthub 6 came out and I contacted BT to see if they would provide me with one and they said no I needed to purchase it so I went ahead and purchased it so this should mean no £65 fee if i cancel early. I beleive the purchase price was around £50ish if i recall correctly.

Going to call BT and see what they can offer me as obviously if they can match the Plusnet deal then no need for me to leave but we will see.

Kev
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <<I presume they will disable it once I leave?>

No

<t so this should mean no £65 fee if i cancel early>
    In this case you are the owner .

As opposed to

You get the Hub when you first take out the contract. At the end of that contract the Hub is yours, to do with what you will. Before the end of contract cancel usual to get a bill for hub .
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 19th Aug 18, 5:03 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    kev2009
    Well been on phone to BT, was advised i can renew for 18months and pay as same as I pay now and wont be hit with the increase. In light of finding some posts on forums with regards to other companies I was potentially going to switch to, i am finding people are have lots of problems with them so i'm now considering sticking with BT and renew at the current price I pay now. The others are still cheaper but if its a lot of headache etc, its not really worth the cost saving to me.

Going to considering it for a day or so and then call them back. I have plenty of time, I have until approx end of the month to decide to avoid the increase in monthly payment from September so plenty of time.

Thanks

Kev
    • boatman
    • By boatman 19th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    boatman
    But if you leave BT mid contract because of the price rise, the router is free.
    • macman
    • By macman 20th Aug 18, 12:02 AM
    • 42,793 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    macman
    I'd be surprised if your BT hub didn't work on Plusnet, since they are a BT Group company and run their service over BT's infrastructure. A switch is in effect merely a billing change.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 20th Aug 18, 1:04 AM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 1,455 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    I have just made the switch from BT to Plusnet and the HH6 works fine on Plusnet. As above, you need to change the broadband user name and password in the HH6 settings for it to work though, but this is not a difficult job.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter