Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 8th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,183Posts
    • 306Thanks
    lonestarfan
    Laptop applications not working properly
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    Laptop applications not working properly 8th Aug 18 at 3:00 PM
    I have a problem with my laptop.
    It's a HP pavilion Intel core i3 7th gen.
    For a few mins its works when turned on then cannot open anymore applications or minimise any. Can't open more tabs. It's not frozen because I can move around in that tab but can't come out of a tab either. Then I can't open any further apps and can't switch between apps Can't even open the start menu.
    Watching you tube is very slow.
    It's Windows 10.
    I use Microsoft Edge as the browser.
    I use McAfee virus checker.
    I've run a scan and it's says it's safe. Everything active normal.
    Any ideas what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it.
    Many thanks.
Page 3
    • dogmaryxx
    • By dogmaryxx 10th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 2,551 Thanks
    dogmaryxx
    Get Edge working normally by doing the following

Press Ctrl+Shift+Escape to open the Windows Task Manager, right-click Microsoft Edge, and select End task.

Right-click the Edge icon in the Taskbar or Start menu and select New InPrivate Window.

Edge opens your home page only, without the tab that generated the virus warning. Browse as you normally would. The next time you open Edge, it will work just fine, whether you open a normal or an InPrivate window.

How to keep Microsoft Edge from reopening the previous tabs after a crash
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You're incorrect. The Avast Rescue Disc works really well and "deals with" malware infections very well.
    Originally posted by esuhl

Does it remove Avast AV ??
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • jamiesb
    • By jamiesb 13th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jamiesb
    This is taken from their Avast website regarding the features of their free tier antivirus, take note:
    "Detect and block viruses, malware, spyware, ransomware and phishing. We use smart analytics to stop threats before they affect you."

Bold styling added by me for the benefit of relevancy and replying to the incorrect assertion that Avast would not help with malware.

Feel free to double check here, scroll down to where it says This is no run-of-the-mill free antivirus to see this and other features.
    https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 14th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 3,741 Posts
    • 3,037 Thanks
    AndyPix
    What it claims and what it does are 2 completely different things.

Avast is terrible

Bold styling added by me for the benefit of relevancy and replying to the incorrect assertion that Avast will help with malware.
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin