Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 8th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,184Posts
    • 307Thanks
    lonestarfan
    Laptop applications not working properly
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    Laptop applications not working properly 8th Aug 18 at 3:00 PM
    I have a problem with my laptop.
    It's a HP pavilion Intel core i3 7th gen.
    For a few mins its works when turned on then cannot open anymore applications or minimise any. Can't open more tabs. It's not frozen because I can move around in that tab but can't come out of a tab either. Then I can't open any further apps and can't switch between apps Can't even open the start menu.
    Watching you tube is very slow.
    It's Windows 10.
    I use Microsoft Edge as the browser.
    I use McAfee virus checker.
    I've run a scan and it's says it's safe. Everything active normal.
    Any ideas what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it.
    Many thanks.
Page 2
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 8th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    wongataa
    And replace it with what?
    Originally posted by lonestarfan
    The built in Windows antivirus software called Defender.
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 8th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    lonestarfan
    Every time I try to download a ccleaner or a malwarebytes programme I get a message saying C Cleaner etc has been prevented from downloading due to a virus.
    I also googled how to remove the Windows scam. It said go to settings control panel uninstall but I can't find the name of the programme to uninstall. It also says it's complicated to uninstall so it's saying buy spy hunter which is 40. Then every time I click on an application I have to be very quick to click on an application and within seconds it stops responding so every time I try the next solution then I have to turn off again so I'm having to turn it off every few seconds and am not getting anywhere.
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 8th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    lonestarfan
    Ask the moderators to merge your two threads , you can't deal with two lots of things at once. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74635634&posted=1#post74635634
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    I was just thinking the same sorry! I'll get into it now .
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    try clicking on this https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner see what happens
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 10,795 Posts
    • 11,200 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Threads merged per OP's request.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Every time I try to download a ccleaner or a malwarebytes programme I get a message saying C Cleaner etc has been prevented from downloading due to a virus.
    Originally posted by lonestarfan
    Sounds like you have malware or a virus... so much for McAfee A/V.

I would look to create a bootable disk on another PC, Bitdefender has such a facility. Try:
    https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 18, 10:47 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    try clicking on this https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner see what happens
    If this does not work you would try this which bypasses your browser
    press windows key + r (run) and type powershell then enter, or using the cortana search box on the taskbar and type powershell.

This will bring up a new window
    in this window type (or copy) this
    Code:
    Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner" -OutFile adw.exe 

press enter
    wait while it downloads
    then type (or copy) 

.\adw.exe 

press enter it should ask if you want to run adwcleaner from malwarebytes select yes , then scan and allow it to clean what it finds.
    NB the box above may have a scroll bar at the bottom so make sure you scroll right

Edited also you could use this method for malwarebytes too change the https bit to "https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/" and change adw.exe to mwb.exe on both lines
    Last edited by debitcardmayhem; 09-08-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: changed mwb link
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Aug 18, 10:53 PM
    • 8,397 Posts
    • 6,171 Thanks
    esuhl

I would look to create a bootable disk on another PC, Bitdefender has such a facility. Try:
    https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

^^ I agree.

Personally, I like Avast's Rescue Disc -- it's always done a good job of fixing infested machines. You can create on another PC with Avast Antivirus installed.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 18, 10:57 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem

Give the OP a chance to get rid of it (since it sounds like PUP/adware) using the suggested methods ?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    ^^ I agree.

Personally, I like Avast's Rescue Disc -- it's always done a good job of fixing infested machines. You can create on another PC with Avast Antivirus installed.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    See my previous posts
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Give the OP a chance to get rid of it (since it sounds like PUP/adware) using the suggested methods ?
    Except the infected PC stops him! That's why a rescue disk produced on another PC is used to boot the infected PC... it bypasses the infected operating system.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 8th Aug 18, 11:11 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Except the infected PC stops him! That's why a rescue disk produced on another PC is used to boot the infected PC... it bypasses the infected operating system.
    What makes you think the os is infected?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Aug 18, 7:18 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    What makes you think the os is infected?
    It is stopping him downloading cleanup programs, which is a classic symptom of malware. See the post of 10pm yesterday. It's not hard to create a boot disk (or USB stick) on another PC and run an AV scan with it. At least that eliminates the problem for little effort and no cost, other than possibly a few pence for a blank CD
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Aug 18, 7:32 AM
    • 33,665 Posts
    • 39,777 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Try downloading this

https://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

If it won't download go to another pc and install on a usb drive or burn to a cd

It randomises the file name to stop malware preventing it running
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • jamiesb
    • By jamiesb 9th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jamiesb
    I would recommend Avast for your virus checking. I've had good experiences with it over the years.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 33,665 Posts
    • 39,777 Thanks
    Browntoa
    I would recommend Avast for your virus checking. I've had good experiences with it over the years.
    Originally posted by jamiesb
    Avast will never deal with a malware infection

They cannot install new programs

Poor advice
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • that
    • By that 9th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    that
    Go to MS, download the sysinternals suite. In there you will find PROCEXP and PROCEXP64. Procexp is like a task manager on steroids. Run this as admin.

In the Options box make sure Verify Image Signatures is ticked, and directly below is Virus Total click this and tick Check VirusTotal.com, and tick Submit Unknown Executables.

Under View tick Show Processes From All Users. Choose Select Columns, tick Virus total and User Name too

At first glance the most important columns are: Virus Total, and Verified signer.

the Virus Total should be all blue, but if any are red and the count is like 2/68 then in is still probably a safe false positive.

For Verified Signer expect most to be ms, intel. Expect the verifier to be Avira - if you use avira, but you should be able to recognise the verified name with the product. The possible problem ones are '(No signature was present in the subject)', but these still could be good and valid software written by a small developer who did not have the time or resources to get it verified, but often they are rogue.

You can also right click on the highlighted line entry, choose properties, Image tab as this tells you the file location and startup command. If unsure of the file, don't delete, just kill the job via Procexp and rename the extension form say 'file.exe' to 'file.exe.lonestarfan', or better still rename its parent directory from say 'bonjour' to 'bonjour.lonestarfan'

This makes it easy to rename back if all does not work well.

if you still get that popup, in procexp to the right of the binoculars you get a scope sight. click on that sight and keep that mouse button depressed and drag it onto that 0800 number and release the mouse button (drag and drop). It will jump back to procexp but will highlight the line that made to popup appear

This can't handle boot partition viruses, or things that may happens before windows runs. Also it does not detect browser hijacking, a remote proxy configuration, rogue dns, compromised flash, or hijacked web stuff including java, however it is deal with about 95% of problems.

if it is still not working, click start, type msconfig and select it, General tab, select diagnostic startup, reboot, say No if it asks to load anything, and again do the above. Remember to switch msconfig back after all is fixed.

Get rid of mcaffee, even if you paid for it, after all it is not really working that well. Use the free windows a/v instead.
    Last edited by that; 09-08-2018 at 7:27 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,881 Posts
    • 3,217 Thanks
    AndyPix
    OP have you fixed your issue ??

If not, can you tell me if you have access to another PC and a usb "pen" drive ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 9th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    pmartin86
    Or CRTL-SHIFT-ESC and save having to make the extra click!
    Originally posted by Chino

Im 32 years old, I've messed with Windows since 98 and worked in IT for a decade...HOW has that particular key combo evaded me untill now???
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Aug 18, 6:40 PM
    • 8,397 Posts
    • 6,171 Thanks
    esuhl
    Avast will never deal with a malware infection

They cannot install new programs

Poor advice
    Originally posted by Browntoa

You're incorrect. The Avast Rescue Disc works really well and "deals with" malware infections very well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,434Posts Today

7,752Users online

Martin's Twitter