Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ally67
    • By Ally67 8th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ally67
    0 WOW
    Mrs A Mitchell
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Mrs A Mitchell 8th Aug 18 at 2:52 PM
    Hi Martin my partner and I booked a holiday to Malta for next year in June 2019 . We booked this holiday on 13th June 2018 . My partner payed her deposit on the 13th and then 3 or 4 days later I booked as well to go with her so 100 deposit payed . We have now spilt so we had to cancel holiday. Only deposit was payed and first payment was on the 7th August but we emailed asking to cancel holiday before first payment . We had not sorted off travel insurance. They are asking for 400 for cancelling holiday. This is with TUI .. Are u able to give any advice on where we stand please many thanks .
    Last edited by Ally67; 12-08-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 19,635 Posts
    • 21,010 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    What do the terms say? It's usual that the full deposit is forfeited for cancellation. Did you pay a reduced deposit?

You may also want to remove the name you've put in the subject line of your post, if it is either you or your partner.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 8th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    What do the terms say? It's usual that the full deposit is forfeited for cancellation. Did you pay a reduced deposit?

You may also want to remove the name you've put in the subject line of your post, if it is either you or your partner.
    Originally posted by zx81
    They probably paid the low deposit to secure the holiday, the rest of the deposit, would still be due and yes cancellations mean you lose your full deposit but maybe the insurance will cover it.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 11,592 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    you lose your full deposit but maybe the insurance will cover it.
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    We had not sorted off travel insurance.
    Originally posted by Ally67
    It is unlikely an insurance policy would cover disinclination to travel. Sounds like it was a low deposit which means the remainder of the deposit would need to be paid to cancel
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    • 61,170 Posts
    • 43,726 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    They probably paid the low deposit to secure the holiday, the rest of the deposit, would still be due and yes cancellations mean you lose your full deposit but maybe the insurance will cover it.
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    It is unlikely an insurance policy would cover disinclination to travel. Sounds like it was a low deposit which means the remainder of the deposit would need to be paid to cancel
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    From the OP this line "We had not sorted off travel insurance" could be read to mean they had sorted out any insurance. Not that I suspect, as already stated, insurance would help at all.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,214Posts Today

6,933Users online

Martin's Twitter