Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KeithWorley
    • By KeithWorley 8th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KeithWorley
    Tool Insurance
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    Tool Insurance 8th Aug 18 at 2:21 PM
    Hi all,
    I am a mechanic and just put my toolbox complete with tools in the back of my van, can anyone advise of the cheapest way to keep these insured from theft. The tool collection to buy again would cost me up to 20k. The van has additional security locks on it. Individual tool insurance quotes were up to 40 - 50 pm. Can you add it to house insurance even though its in a van etc?
    Thanks for reading!
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    House insurance, I doubt it. Normally tools of trade are specifically excluded.

Are you self employed/sole trader/ltd company? If so, have you asked whoever arranges your business insurance?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 37,525 Posts
    • 21,735 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    Assuming you are self-employed see if you can add this to your business insurance (eg public liability insurance often has tool cover as an add on, though expect lots of conditions on cover whilst in a van
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 8th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    Tradesman insurance will cover it, but the cheap and cheerful policies will require the vehicle to be stored in a locked building or secure compound overnight, which is not practical for many people.

Leaving 20k of tools in a van overnight is asking for trouble.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

6,616Users online

Martin's Twitter