Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 8th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 83Thanks
    simonineaston
    effect of new plates, if any...
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    effect of new plates, if any... 8th Aug 18 at 1:27 PM
    Word is from the self-appointed "experts" who surround me here in my office, that each new plate produces in its wake a corresponding lowering in the prices of older car models. Are they right, and if so when does the effect kick in - is it reasonable to expect to see a visible drop in second-hand car prices twice a year? Or are they, as I suspect, talking nonsense?!
    Last edited by simonineaston; 08-08-2018 at 1:35 PM.
Page 1
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 8th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 11,455 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    Quick guess is that it used to happen more so on the old yearly changes because you couldn't tell whether an outgoing plate was a month old or 11 months old without checking the paperwork. I suspect there will still be an effect simply because some people will pay a premium for the newest plate - even though the build date of the vehicle and how long it has been hanging around are possibly more significant.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 18.43 $2.70 5.96 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.15 NZ$0.55 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 1.0 CHF 0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti fils) MDL0.25 (Moldovan bani)
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 11,790 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    Word is from the self-appointed "experts" who surround me here in my office, that each new plate produces in its wake a corresponding lowering in the prices of older car models. Are they right, and if so when does the effect kick in - is it reasonable to expect to see a visible drop in second-hand car prices twice a year? Or are they, as I suspect, talking nonsense?!
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    I'd say your suspicions are correct. The depreciation of a car is fairly linear with a big chuck of value coming off in the first year. You don't suddenly get big drops in March & September each year.

That's not say there's deals to be had during this period for the previous periods plate, but this is more to do with dealerships shifting stock before the new model year comes out.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 08-08-2018 at 3:51 PM.
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 8th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    Whole valuation system is based on reg plate. No one cares if car was registered in September or in February, initial value is based on reg plate for that period.
    Last edited by Penelopa.Pitstop; 08-08-2018 at 5:23 PM.

• jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 8th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    Reg doesn't really mean anything to be fair. Ive bought 2 brand new cars one was 1 month away from change over. I didn't care, But others did.

Also as mentioned cars do sit in compounds for quite some time. I work somewhere and we sometimes jump into cars that have been sitting for upto 2 years before being shipped to dealerships.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 8,093 Posts
    • 7,408 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    Nearly new car prices drop a bit when they go from current plate to previous plate.
    Older cars won't make a difference as No one counts half years; a 10 year old car is still 10 years old
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 17,565 Posts
    • 10,659 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:04 PM
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    Prices drop monthly rather than a big amount twice a year.

And also because of stock levels you wont see all cars suddenly being dropped by on the first of the month.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,180Posts Today

8,440Users online

Martin's Twitter