Refund Dispute

Hi all
I recently purchased an eternity ring for my wife from a jewellery chain store. It was to be a surprise and a totally impulsive buy on my behalf. I had her engagement ring with me as I wanted to have an insurance valuation done on it so I was able to show it for sizing purposes and the store assistant assisted me and I have to say I was influenced by her advice as I know very little about jewellery (so much so that I didn’t even see that the ring was completely unsuitable to sit beside her engagement ring due to it’s design).

Anyway I bought the ring and she said if the size wasn’t right she had other sizes in stock.

My wife was delighted with the sentiment but she didn’t want it and I returned to store to be told I couldn’t get a refund, only an exchange or credit note. At no time was I told this and they said I should have known as it was written on the receipt which is a bit late anyway as you’ve already made the purchase.

I contacted their CS via email and explained the fact that I was never advised of this plus the ring really wasn’t fit for the purpose of being worn beside the engagement ring. I also said I did not want anything out of their store and requested my money back.

They refused and stated it was up to me to find out what their policy was, not them.

Would anyone know if I have any rights here at all to get my money back?

Thanks

C

Comments

• Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    you have no rights at all unfortunately. there is nothing wrong with the ring and you purchased in store, so any refund would be down to the goodwill of the shop.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You don't have to be told it, the default position for goods bought in store is that you are not entitled to a change of mind refund. Even exchange or credit note is entirely down to their goodwill. If you don't want the ring you either have to accept what they are offering or try to recoup as much of the value of the ring as possible by selling it yourself.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,851
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The only way you could get a refund in the form you want it (other than goodwill) would be if you were specifically told that the ring was suitable to wear alongside the existing rings, either in response to you asking that question or if it was stated voluntarily. It wasn't, so the store is well within its rights to adhere to its policy.
  • ceemac44
    ceemac44 Posts: 12
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone.

C
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    you either have to accept what they are offering or try to recoup as much of the value of the ring as possible by selling it yourself.

Go for the credit note, the mark up on jewellery is so high you'd be lucky to get 50% back. Try taking your wife with you when you spend the credit note.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure