Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fisherja84
    • By fisherja84 8th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    fisherja84
    3 bed HMO Scotland
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    3 bed HMO Scotland 8th Aug 18 at 12:34 PM
    was wondering if anyone had any experience of applying for an HMO licence in Scotland.

I have the following questions:

Is the HMO licence granted specifically related to the number of rooms; i.e is there a separate 3bed,4bed and 5bed HMO licence or is it a blanket licence that allows you to rent to as many as legally possible.

How onerous are the regulations or is it a case of basic common sense and safety.

The reason I ask, I purchased a 3 bed flat in a student town a few years ago. I was originally renting the place to my sister and her 2 kids however she has decided to get married and move in with her fiancee.

The flat its self is a generous 3-bed sandstone wth a massive living room and an enormous kitchen/living area.
    The flat already meets all the standards as outlined in the HMO rules for the local council, fire/gas/electrical safety etc.

I can command a much greater return renting each room individually to students and if I was to convert the living room to another bedroom I could get an even greater return whilst each tenant having more than ample living space.

in order to rent out to 3 individual people, I would need to apply for an HMO licence which as I understand can take 12 months + which, as I understand it correctly I am unable to rent the flat out while the licence is in progress, is this correct?

Does anyone have any experience of applying for an HMO licence for 3 persons only? I would imagine that the level of work required on the property would be rather small as the house was designed to house 5 people comfortably?
Page 1
    • fisherja84
    • By fisherja84 8th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fisherja84
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    If you read my post you will see that my questions are specific - Thank you for telling me how to use google, you clearly do not understand the purpose of a forum.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 13,148 Posts
    • 18,937 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:56 PM
    That's correct you cannot legally let a HMO without a HMO licence.

There isn't a specific licence for 3, 4, 5 occupants as such but based on the number of rooms and size of rooms available in the property there will be a maximum number of occupants the licence will cover you for.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 21,222 Posts
    • 17,043 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    If you read my post you will see that my questions are specific - Thank you for telling me how to use google, you clearly do not understand the purpose of a forum.
    Originally posted by fisherja84

I've deleted my post with it's useful information as you obviously know it all anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,287Users online

Martin's Twitter