Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madame2shus
    • By madame2shus 8th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    madame2shus
    0 WOW
    Easyjet seating policy
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    0 WOW
    Easyjet seating policy 8th Aug 18 at 11:51 AM
    Does anyone know if easyjet has changed how they allocate their seats on check in? I have booked many flights with easyjet and I always check in early. Everyone on my booking has always been placed together when seats are allocated. I am aware that Ryanair purposley try to split people up but I didn't think Easyjet also did this.

I checked in for my flight yesterday 29 days in advance and I was allocated seats 30d and 31 f which were not even on the seat plan when I went into look at avaialbale seats for purchase I could see that there were lots available to pay for. I don't understand why when there was only two people on the booking that we were not sat in the same row at least when there were seats available and I checked in early.

Has anyone else experienced ths recently with easyjet?
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 61,581 Posts
    • 44,115 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    So far this year I've traveled about 6 times with easyJet and on two occasions there have been arguments from people travelling with children who have been split up. Also the third person in the row of three where my OH and I were seated on my last trip was sat apart from her partner who was about 8 rows behind, but luckily she was able to move to an empty seat across the aisle from her partner after take off.

It always struck me as odd that Ryanair get bad press for their policy when it seemed easyJet was doing the same.

Last year my OH and I had booked seats A and B on a BA flight and the seats were taken when we got on. The couple occupying our seats had been allocated seats C and D one row apart and asked us politely if we would swap as they wanted to sit together, but they were perfectly polite when we said no.
    Last edited by soolin; 08-08-2018 at 3:16 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • TomnLynne
    • By TomnLynne 24th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TomnLynne
    • 24th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 24th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    Just checked in on easyjet and the seats allocated were 30F and 31D. Neither of these seats were shown on the seating plan for the A 320. Just a blank space next to the toilets. Is this another scam to scare us into paying for an allocated seat?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 24th Jan 19, 8:55 PM
    • 3,748 Posts
    • 2,358 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 24th Jan 19, 8:55 PM
    • 24th Jan 19, 8:55 PM
    Check your specific flight on the easyJet website (by doing a dummy booking). There are different configurations of this aircraft, some of which do have those seats.
    • maman
    • By maman 24th Jan 19, 9:44 PM
    • 19,144 Posts
    • 114,821 Thanks
    maman
    • 24th Jan 19, 9:44 PM
    • 24th Jan 19, 9:44 PM
    Just checked in on easyjet and the seats allocated were 30F and 31D. Neither of these seats were shown on the seating plan for the A 320. Just a blank space next to the toilets. Is this another scam to scare us into paying for an allocated seat?
    Originally posted by TomnLynne
    As I see it, you either reserve and pay or take pot luck. If sitting next to your family and friends is a big deal then reserve a seat.

It would be good if easyJet offered booked seats for free but they don't. You have a choice whether to book with the airline if you don't like their business model.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 25th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 3,846 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 25th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    • 25th Jan 19, 11:22 AM
    I can’t stand when people prattle on about this being a scam - you either pay for seats and sit together, or sit apart.
    It’s not a scam, it is a bit annoying but I’m sure anyone affected can either paw out another £10/£20 etc or manage to be away from their partner for a few hours.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 11,929 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 25th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    • 25th Jan 19, 11:41 AM
    Seems they've changed their policy - we've flown loads with Easyjet and never been split up - last time was April.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 11,929 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 25th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    • 25th Jan 19, 11:50 AM
    As I see it, you either reserve and pay or take pot luck. If sitting next to your family and friends is a big deal then reserve a seat.

It would be good if easyJet offered booked seats for free but they don't. You have a choice whether to book with the airline if you don't like their business model.
    Originally posted by maman
    The point is it's never been pot luck with Easyjet up to now. You were sat together if you didn't choose your seats (except perhaps if you check in very late and it's not possible). We always were sat together even in groups of 4 or 5.

Some people don't seem to understand the difference between selecting specific seats, which they've always charged for, and not selecting specific seats but being expected to be sat together where possible.

Previously that was a difference between Ryanair and Easyjet, but now seems Easyjet have followed the Ryanair model.

Wonder how long it'll be until cinemas, theatres, sports stadiums, maybe even restaurants follow the budget airline pricing model
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 25th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    • 8,636 Posts
    • 6,404 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 25th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    • 25th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    I canít stand when people prattle on about this being a scam - you either pay for seats and sit together, or sit apart.
    Itís not a scam, it is a bit annoying but Iím sure anyone affected can either paw out another £10/£20 etc or manage to be away from their partner for a few hours.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004

How does it cost £10/£20 for the airline to sit people together, where possible? That's the scam.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 25th Jan 19, 1:52 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Ganga
    How does it cost £10/£20 for the airline to sit people together, where possible? That's the scam.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    The best way forward is to put the prices of a seat up by £20 or so and stop this practise -- BUT then others will complain that they are paying too much to travel.
    No winners except the budget airline ( and without them travel would be prohibitive for a lot of people )
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 25th Jan 19, 2:09 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    brianposter
    I can’t stand when people prattle on about this being a scam - you either pay for seats and sit together, or sit apart.
    It’s not a scam, it is a bit annoying but I’m sure anyone affected can either paw out another £10/£20 etc or manage to be away from their partner for a few hours.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    This is a scam and the authorities should have come down on it like a ton of bricks from the moment it started.
    One of the fundamentals of any commercial contract is that you do not expect one side to deliberately do something which is clearly to the disadvantage of the other party to the contract.
    Once you lose sight of this principle all business becomes more difficult.
    Last edited by brianposter; 25-01-2019 at 9:11 PM.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 25th Jan 19, 5:25 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Ganga
    This is a scam and the authorities should have come down on it like a ton of bricks from the moment it started.
    One of the fundamentals of any commercial contract is that you do not expect the one side to deliberately do something which is clearly to the disadvantage of the other party to the contract.
    Originally posted by brianposter
    This is not a scam,airlines are a business and as such are allowed to run their business anyway they want as long as it is legal,charging people to sit where they want is a choice,just like hotels charging single supplements or charging some children as adults during room occupancy ratios,you have the option, pay or take whats given
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 25th Jan 19, 5:30 PM
    • 18,320 Posts
    • 46,628 Thanks
    elsien
    One of the fundamentals of any commercial contract is that you do not expect the one side to deliberately do something which is clearly to the disadvantage of the other party to the contract.
    Oh I don't know. I'd prefer not to be seated next to parent when we travel together - I like my peace and quiet. Now paying for an aisle seat, on the other hand, I'd be more willing to stump up for.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 25th Jan 19, 6:21 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    brianposter
    This is not a scam,airlines are a business and as such are allowed to run their business anyway they want as long as it is legal ................
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I suspect that had Ryanair been taken to court when they first introduced the policy it would have been found not to be legal - indeed they had to change the details of the policy because it was not legal.
    However in reality it is just another example of the incompetence of modern regulators - one day they will have to pass a bill to remove all the laxity that has been allowed into consumer contracts in recent years.
    At the moment you get nonsense like PPI where the regulators allow a procedure for years and then eventually realise that they have made an expensive mistake
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 25th Jan 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 942 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I think people are happy to gamble not sitting together by not paying............its the feeling separating people on purpose they object to if they don't pay!!
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 26-01-2019 at 2:47 AM.
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 25th Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    brianposter
    charging people to sit where they want is a choice,just like hotels charging single supplements or charging some children as adults during room occupancy ratios,you have the option, pay or take whats given
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Deliberately doing something which you know to be disadvantageous to your customer is an entirely different matter to simply carrying out your business. People are not being charged to sit where they want; they are being deliberately separated.
    When you buy a house you do not expect the windows to be six feet up simply because it may be legal.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 25th Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    • 3,717 Posts
    • 5,578 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Deliberately doing something which you know to be disadvantageous to your customer is an entirely different matter to simply carrying out your business. People are not being charged to sit where they want; they are being deliberately separated.
    When you buy a house you do not expect the windows to be six feet up simply because it may be legal.

What nonsense. You're paying to get from A-B.
    A better example would be purchasing a train ticket where you're not even guarenteed a seat.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Jan 19, 7:26 PM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 11,929 Thanks
    zagfles
    What nonsense. You're paying to get from A-B.
    A better example would be purchasing a train ticket where you're not even guarenteed a seat.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    You can reserve a seat free on most long distance trains.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 13,843 Posts
    • 11,929 Thanks
    zagfles
    I think people are happy to gamble not sitting together by not paying............its the feeling separating people on purpose they object to it they don't pay!!
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    Exactly. Some people simply fail to comprehend this simple point.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 25th Jan 19, 7:28 PM
    • 3,717 Posts
    • 5,578 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    You can reserve a seat free on most long distance trains.
    Originally posted by zagfles

And you can reserve a specfic seat on a plane for a little fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,214Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GaryDelaney: This is the cleanest portaloo ever! It?s like I was the first person ever to use it. Well done BBC Salford. https://t.co/E?

• RT @JSchofieldTrust: Not long to go now until our 2019-20 mentoring schemes for early career and apprentice journalists open. Our mentoring?

• Hi Amy I know you're no longer at school :) but actually many grown ups have found the new financial education text? https://t.co/xDnCd0B4Re

• Follow Martin