Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ANGLICANPAT
    • By ANGLICANPAT 8th Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,149Posts
    • 372Thanks
    ANGLICANPAT
    When does executor claim for probate costs?
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    When does executor claim for probate costs? 8th Aug 18 at 11:15 AM
    I am sole executor for a friends estate -- well under the IHT allowance but will still need to obtain probate . All accounts are frozen , so death certificates and probate paperwork will befrom my own account. ( The funeral was paid for from one of his accounts by the BS . )

On the probate form , (at page 5 12.3- "other uk debts owed by the deceased" I am putting an amount owed to me for nursing home sundry services which I covered for him before he could pay me back.

Do I also use this same 12.3 'debt' box for amounts Ive paid out for probate and death certs , as I dont see any other suitable box? Thank you .
    Last edited by ANGLICANPAT; 08-08-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:08 PM
    On the probate form , (at page 5 12.3- "other uk debts owed by the deceased" I am putting an amount owed to me for nursing home sundry services which I covered for him before he could pay me back.
    Do I also use this same 12.3 'debt' box for amounts Ive paid out for probate and death certs , as I dont see any other suitable box? Thank you .
    Originally posted by ANGLICANPAT

Yes 12.3 for the debt to you. You can't claim the probate and death cert costs, they just come out of estate funds.
    • ANGLICANPAT
    • By ANGLICANPAT 8th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 372 Thanks
    ANGLICANPAT
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    Thanks for swift reply, hoped that was the case , will save me a lot of trouble rather than claiming back afterwards as theyre the only items I need taking into account.
    • Rubik
    • By Rubik 8th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Rubik
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:56 PM
    Make sure you keep receipts for absolutely everything you are paying for with your own money - even if it's a single stamp; no receipt will mean it will be difficult for to you to reimbursed from the estate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,640Posts Today

8,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin