Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 8th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 782Posts
    • 1,173Thanks
    sleepymans
    Elderly Relative in a NHS Unit -
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    Elderly Relative in a NHS Unit - 8th Aug 18 at 11:12 AM
    An elderly relative of mine is in an NHS funded mobility rehab unit after a fall. She has been there about three weeks.
    She has a team based there seeing to her rehabilitation, care, medical and personal care, meals and bathing etc.
    Would there be a "lead person" named as her nominated "responsible person", in a similar way that I have a nominated Medical professional at my GP medical centre, even though I might be seen by anyone based there?

I have some queries about her progress and seem to always get hold of the team member who knows very little! Can we insist on a main contact?
    Goddess
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 8th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1,796 Posts
    • 2,307 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    There's usually a care coordinator or social worker, but they often don't get involved until discharge is imminent, e.g. all rehab has been completed and they are back to their previous or new baseline. The care coordinator will then make discharge plans.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    Could it be a patient privacy thing? They might not share medical information with someone who's not down as next of kin.
    When England was a Kingdom we had a King, when we were an empire we had an emperor. Now we're a country and we have Margaret Thatcher

the late great Kenny Everett
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 27,337 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    My dad spent 6 weeks in hospital recently after a hip replacement. In our experience none of the staff appeared to know anything about what treatment he would be receiving, when he might be receiving it or when he might be going home. Most of the staff also knew very little about his other medical conditions (stoma bag and Alzheimer's). . As for help with washing and bathing - forget about it. He went 5 weeks without washing his hair despite vague promises that it would happen. Physio was sporadic and it seemed to be left up to my mum to make sure he got any exercise.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:00 PM
    I have found varying experiences when my Dad has been in hospital (a handful of times over the last 5 years usually around 2-3 weeks long). His most recent stay I found the staff amazing! Each day on his patient board behind his bed it had pictures of who his sister and nurse was for that day so I knew who to speak to, and it seemed on this ward the sisters/nurses would generally cover the same rooms on the ward each shift so there was some consistency. Does your relative have anything like this?Occasionally someone from another ward would be covering but this was probably only 3 times in the 3 weeks he was there.

I found that all the info was stored on the hospital system so the nurse/sister was able to check everything on there to be precise with the info. They are restricted as if the Doctor/consultant hasn't noted why something was done/not done or requested then they would just use their experience to say what it was possibly for.

Your relative I imagine would be under a certain team of nurses or consultants. Maybe request a meeting with a Doctor? The doctor did their rounds out of visiting hours for my Dad but we were able to request a meeting.
    • troubleinparadise
    • By troubleinparadise 10th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    troubleinparadise
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:37 AM
    An elderly relative of mine is in an NHS funded mobility rehab unit after a fall. She has been there about three weeks.
    She has a team based there seeing to her rehabilitation, care, medical and personal care, meals and bathing etc.
    Would there be a "lead person" named as her nominated "responsible person", in a similar way that I have a nominated Medical professional at my GP medical centre, even though I might be seen by anyone based there?

I have some queries about her progress and seem to always get hold of the team member who knows very little! Can we insist on a main contact?
    Originally posted by sleepymans
    Do you actually go in to see her, or is your contact via phone?

I ask because my mother was in a rehab unit following a fall, and it was a very busy but pleasant place with a number of staff, but I canít say there was ever any one staff member she had been assigned to. It also wasnít very hands on as they were really there as a watchful eye to encourage patients to be self-sufficient in washing, dressing and eating rather than focusing on an individuals personal progress, but in a safe environment.

I did visit frequently, so it was easier to talk to a staff member who might have to get a file to check up on her notes; but the phone could ring for a while if the staff were busy - as always, never as many as needed in the perfect world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,486Posts Today

9,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin