Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shazchip
    • By shazchip 8th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 1Thanks
    shazchip
    Wedding car booking not fulfilled
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:17 AM
    Wedding car booking not fulfilled 8th Aug 18 at 10:17 AM
    Hi all,

I wanted to pick your brains on the following dilemma :

A friend of mine, let's call him Bob, runs a small chauffeur-driven car hire business, hiring out luxury cars for weddings etc. It's been running for a couple of years successfully and Bob has always had great reviews & feedback etc.

However this weekend just gone, he sadly messed up on a wedding booking - the booking wasn't in his system and so no wedding car showed up at the bride's house. Understandably the bride was very disappointed and had to take a taxi to the venue.

Bob says this is the first time it has happened and was a genuine mistake, and he is very disappointed with himself too. He of course apologised profusely to bride's family, returned the 100 deposit that they had paid, and offered a free car journey at another time (back from honeymoon / to dinner / etc) as a goodwill gesture.

Now, the bride's family have since been in touch, they have declined the free car journey, their point of view is that Bob should pay them the full amount that they would have had to pay had they cancelled the booking themselves(450).

Bob feels that this is too much and offered them another 100 in compensation, which they have said is not enough. He is scared that they could spam his business with lots of bad reviews if he doesn't pay the full amount.

I see both perspectives, but I do also feel that 450 is a lot to ask for. Having booked a similar wedding car on my wedding, if it hadn't shown up, sure I would have been gutted at first but once I got to the venue I don't think it would have affected the rest of my day. That's just me though and I know that everyone is different.

So my question is, moneysavers, what do you think is fair?

Thanks!

Shazchip.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    As long as the 100 (or 200) covers the cost of the taxi, that plus the free future booking seems more than generous.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 8th Aug 18, 10:29 AM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:29 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:29 AM
    He messed up, so he should expect poor reviews to appear somewhere. So long as they are factual there is nothing he can do about that.

He needs to mitigate the damage as far as he can - return of any deposit paid, plus the costs of the taxi is the absolute minimum. An additional 100 seems a reasonable extra gesture to make.

If they think they are entitled to more (very unlikely) they can issue a small claim against him.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 08-08-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    • bris
    • By bris 8th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 7,953 Posts
    • 6,957 Thanks
    bris
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:49 AM
    Yes he should pay the 450. A bride turning up in a taxi is a huge disappointment for her and certainly a loss of enjoyment which this breach has caused.

legal action would be a lot more expensive and they could even be awarded more if they were to take it that far.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 8th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 5,582 Posts
    • 7,604 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    At this stage its about customer service and fairness doesnt come in to it.

Basically your friend needs to work out which outcome will have the least impact on his business. Sometimes its worth taking a bad review others its worth placating a customer as to avoid them.

If i saw a review from a car wedding hire company that said 'didnt show up, had to get a taxi' they would never be looked at again.

If your friend doesnt want to go down the customer service route and the customer takes it further then its more about fairness. I doubt the customer would be getting the 450 that way though.
    Don't be angry!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 19,778 Posts
    • 45,809 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    Your friend needs to refund the deposit already paid, pay for the taxi and IMO pay compensation for ruining the brides journey to the venue.

He's underestimating what a big thing it is for some brides to be chauffeured from home in a fancy car with neighbours waving her off and people waving to her as she drives to the venue. Being bundled into a taxi doesn't come close. If the bride in question didn't want that 15 minutes of her life feeling like a princess she wouldn't have booked 'Bob's' service.

So bearing that in mind how far off the 450 requested do you think 'Bob' is? I'd say cough up and take the hit like a man.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 10,320 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    Just one thought - what happens if Bob pays the family 450 and then mysteriously a spate of bad reviews appears?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 6,668 Posts
    • 14,460 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    Just one thought - what happens if Bob pays the family 450 and then mysteriously a spate of bad reviews appears?
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    The compensation amount doesn't mean he gave a good service.

As long as the reviews are accurate 'AKA would not recommend. Did not turn up for wedding. had to get a taxi. Ruined my day.'

There is nothing he can do.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 8th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    Yes he should pay the 450. A bride turning up in a taxi is a huge disappointment for her and certainly a loss of enjoyment which this breach has caused.

legal action would be a lot more expensive and they could even be awarded more if they were to take it that far.
    Originally posted by bris
    The nearest equivalent I am aware of was a couple who sued their wedding photographer when none of the photographs came out.

The judge (only at a County Court so not a binding precedent) took the view that they were entitled to compensation in a sum equal to the amount they would have spent with the photographer had he produced satisfactory pictures.

That was quite a few years ago so maybe somebody knows of a newer similar case?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 10,320 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    The compensation amount doesn't mean he gave a good service.

As long as the reviews are accurate 'AKA would not recommend. Did not turn up for wedding. had to get a taxi. Ruined my day.'

There is nothing he can do.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I agree with that review but I read the concern would be that there would be more than one bad review, possibly from 'fake' brides.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • shazchip
    • By shazchip 8th Aug 18, 12:48 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shazchip
    Thankyou all for your replies and thoughts. Bob says thankyou also. It's good to have differing opinions. He has agreed on 300 with the bride's family.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    Now he just needs to remember to go round with the money...

• shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 10,355 Posts
    • 11,655 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    [QUOTE=bris;74632562]Yes he should pay the 450. A bride turning up in a taxi is a huge disappointment for her and certainly a loss of enjoyment which this breach has caused.
    [QUOTE]
    Where do you draw the line?
    They paid 100 which has been refunded and offered another 100 which IMO, is ample.
    Who's to say that they won't take the 450 then demand more after this?
    • shazchip
    • By shazchip 8th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shazchip
    Now he just needs to remember to go round with the money...

Originally posted by zx81

:-D I don't think he'll be making any more mistakes any time soon!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 12,842 Posts
    • 10,174 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Bob should make non disclosure part of the settlement.

The nearest equivalent I am aware of was a couple who sued their wedding photographer when none of the photographs came out.

The judge (only at a County Court so not a binding precedent) took the view that they were entitled to compensation in a sum equal to the amount they would have spent with the photographer had he produced satisfactory pictures.

That was quite a few years ago so maybe somebody knows of a newer similar case?
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    Leading case law on it is actually Jarvis v Swan Tour. Given the sums usually awarded though, its unlikely many wedding cases were beyond the small claims limit.

Where do you draw the line?
    They paid 100 which has been refunded and offered another 100 which IMO, is ample.
    Who's to say that they won't take the 450 then demand more after this?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Bob would be wise to make the offer in full & final settlement. Or perhaps send the payment by cheque along with a letter stating its in F&F settlement and that if they do not agree to this, they should return the cheque uncashed.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 8th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3,469 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    Undervalued

Leading case law on it is actually Jarvis v Swan Tour. Given the sums usually awarded though, its unlikely many wedding cases were beyond the small claims limit.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Yes indeed.

However I mentioned this one as it related to a wedding. It was about twenty years ago (from memory) and I think in N. Ireland. However at the time most people thought it was a sensible and pragmatic approach. Because the couple were willing to pay say 500 for a set of nice pictures of their wedding, the judge felt they were entitled to have 500 compensation for the disappointment of not getting any
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

30Posts Today

3,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin