Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 140Posts
    • 20Thanks
    venomx
    Barclays Basic Current Accounts
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    Barclays Basic Current Accounts 8th Aug 18 at 10:02 AM
    I'd be interested in having a barclays basic account to pay my direct debits with, however i heard you can not have one if you have a Current account elsewhere ( be it Basic or Full )

I can't see this anywhere on their website, so is it true ?
Page 2
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 8th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Is it not discrimination ? If you have a good credit score you can make as many accounts as you want, but if its mediocre you can only have one,
    Are barclays the only bank which operate under this policy ?
    Originally posted by venomx
    Forget your credit score. It has no meaning. Lenders do not see it and therefore do not use it either. Lenders score you using the data held in your credit files and data you supply in your application. They then take all that data and score you against their independent criteria and policies.

You need to demonstrate, in your credit file, that you can manage credit accounts responsibly if you want to open new mainstream credit accounts. The easiest way to do that, is by opening a credit card account with a sub-prime lender, such as Vanquis or CapitalOne, starting with a 250-500 credit limit.
    Last edited by Willing2Learn; 08-08-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 8th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    How many credit checks are you potentially putting yourself through. Too many in a short space of time screws your credit history and leads banks to think you are desperate for lending and are getting declined else where.

How many accounts do you realistically need considering your money is held by your keyworker and paid to you.

What is it you are trying to ultimately achieve? Full control of you life or just different accounts for various aspects if your life?

Also, are you sure you want to buy things on line when you dont trust all businesses or is that just related to your hobby.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 9th Aug 18, 12:48 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    What a weird thread.

Barclays has no policy against opening accounts for people who bank elsewhere, the only exception being duplicate student accounts. You may well be asked what need you have for the new account, or what you intend on using it for, or if you're planning on switching - but those are all questions to establish whether you're there to be a worthwhile customer or if you're wasting time. It's not a policy or legal issue.

You can't usually request to have a Basic account, that's something that would be offered after credit reference agency checks are carried out if you don't qualify for a normal current account.

I'm not sure why you would specifically want a basic account as it shares almost all of the same features as a standard current account. Reading your posts it almost seems you think the basic account is specifically for building credit rating? If so you may have misunderstood. The basic account is sometimes selected for people who have poor credit, but as a credit-building method it has no benefits over any other current account.

To answer your first question though: no, it isn't true that Barclays will automatically reject you if you bank elsewhere.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,361Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin