Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 189Posts
    • 23Thanks
    venomx
    Barclays Basic Current Accounts
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    Barclays Basic Current Accounts 8th Aug 18 at 10:02 AM
    I'd be interested in having a barclays basic account to pay my direct debits with, however i heard you can not have one if you have a Current account elsewhere ( be it Basic or Full )

I can't see this anywhere on their website, so is it true ?
Page 1
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 8th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    And what would be wrong with having a regular current account for the purpose you describe?
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 8th Aug 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:27 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:27 AM
    I'd be interested in having a barclays basic account to pay my direct debits with, however i heard you can not have one if you have a Current account elsewhere ( be it Basic or Full )

I can't see this anywhere on their website, so is it true ?
    Originally posted by venomx
    Thought you already had one? I am sure I remember you opening an account with them and asking about contactless cards, or was that Nationwide?

Edit:

I use Monzo for everything, but have a Barclays Basic Current account ( with contactless card ) for emergencies, and want to know is there a minimum balance to keep the account open ?

Thanks
    You do have one already?!
    Last edited by wizzywig27; 08-08-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    Yeah but want to know if i build my credit score up will i be eligible for a full current account ?
    And how strict are they on their " One account only " policy

read this on the other post...
    I'm perfectly happy with the basic Barclays and Nationwide accounts. Can't think of any real reason for me to want an upgrade.
    Originally posted by fermi
    Anway my credit score is 660, which im guessing is bad.. ( I took out a few loans when I was teen )
    Last edited by venomx; 08-08-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 8th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ozaz
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    I'm confused. You already have a Barclays Basic account but have created a thread questioning whether or not you can open a Barclays Basic account ???

Regarding credit scores. They are not particularly useful for judging if a bank will accept you for a full account. Banks will base their decision on your credit history, not the score from a reference agency and every banks will have a different (and opaque) decision making policy.

The scores are also even less useful if you don't say which credit reference agency the score is from.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    I'm confused. You already have a Barclays Basic account but have created a thread questioning whether or not you can open a Barclays Basic account ???

Originally posted by ozaz
    I do have one, sorry for the confusion

I need the account because of my Monzo, the only way to send money to my Monzo is via bank transfer after putting the cash into barlcays
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 8th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:46 AM
    Yeah but want to know if i build my credit score up will i be eligible for a full current account ?
    And how strict are they on their " One account only " policy

read this on the other post...

Anway my credit score is 660, which im guessing is bad.. ( I took out a few loans when I was teen )
    But that wasnt your original question, you asked if you could open one.

Anyway, your score is worthless and is used as a tool to sell you something you dont need.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    But that wasnt your original question, you asked if you could open one.

Anyway, your score is worthless and is used as a tool to sell you something you dont need.
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    I used Experian and it was free
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 11:50 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:50 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:50 AM
    What i should have said is do they tolerate it ?

in barclays policy it says this...
    Code:
    If this happens, and you remain eligible to hold an account or receive
    services from us, we may try to help you find an alternative account or
    service which will meet your needs, so that you can continue to bank
    with us.
    So there's a chance if im responsible they could offer me a full account
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 8th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ozaz
    Ok, so to clarify. You already have a Barclay's basic account but you are now worried you are no longer eligible for it because you now have a full current account elsewhere?

If that's the case, what are their published eligibility requirements?
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    Ok, so to clarify. You already have a Barclay's basic account but you are now worried you are no longer eligible for it because you now have a full current account elsewhere?

If that's the case, what are their published eligibility requirements?
    Originally posted by ozaz
    Thats correct.
    Resident of the UK ( Yes )
    18 or over ( yes )
    Full-Time student ( no )
    Existing barclays customer ( no )

Code:
    The Barclays Basic Current Account is a basic account that offers no-frills banking for customers who may not be able to open a regular current account. You can qualify for this account if you donít qualify for one of our other accounts and/or you donít have an existing bank current account in the UK.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 8th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 15,173 Thanks
    Westie983
    If you already have the account and also full facility accounts elsewhere your basic account wont get closed, but could be updated if you or Barclays decide to do this.

Does this answer your question? im not sure as there are a few questions in the thread.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2019 #10 Total (£16000)+£0/£12000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (£450)+£1/£500 = 0.20% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total (£165)+£0/£365 = 0.00%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£1300)+£0/£1000 = 0.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1030)+£0/£2000 = 0.0%

Total £1.00/£15865 = 2.00%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    If you already have the account and also full facility accounts elsewhere your basic account wont get closed, but could be updated if you or Barclays decide to do this.

Does this answer your question? im not sure as there are a few questions in the thread.

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983
    It certainly does, thanks.
    The only thing is it's a grey area as to wether Monzo accounts are " Full " or " Basic "
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 8th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    paragon909
    I have a basic nationwide account, TSB basic account and a santander everyday current account... They seem to be fine for me without being closed.

Isn't monzo or starling working out for you? If you want to build up credit history then you might be best getting a sim card from o2 or something. As basic accounts won't really make any difference to your credit file unless you somehow default on it.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    I have a basic nationwide account, TSB basic account and a santander everyday current account... They seem to be fine for me without being closed.

Isn't monzo or starling working out for you? If you want to build up credit history then you might be best getting a sim card from o2 or something. As basic accounts won't really make any difference to your credit file unless you somehow default on it.
    Originally posted by paragon909
    Monzo is fine, but i don't like shopping on websites other than paypal with it because it has my main money in it.
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 8th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    paragon909
    Monzo is fine, but i don't like shopping on websites other than paypal with it because it has my main money in it.
    I guess people have their own ways of operating accounts.... But what difference would a full or basic current account with a traditional bank make?

Why don't you get a savings account and transfer money out when you need it...
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 8th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ozaz
    It certainly does, thanks.
    The only thing is it's a grey area as to wether Monzo accounts are " Full " or " Basic "
    Monzo accounts can provide overdrafts (although I don't think they're automatically given).
    Overdrafts aren't possible with Basic bank accounts.

So I would say Monzo accounts are full current accounts.
    • ozaz
    • By ozaz 8th Aug 18, 6:16 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    ozaz
    If you can't get a credit card for online purchases you might want to consider a Revolut Prepaid card. They support virtual card numbers so you can give every website you use a different card number. If one of those sites gets hacked, that card number can't be used elsewhere.

Edit - just realised virtual card numbers require a premium account (£6.99/month)
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2018/03/revolut-to-allow-customers-to-pay-via-virtual-disposable-card
    Last edited by ozaz; 08-08-2018 at 6:18 PM.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 8th Aug 18, 6:32 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    venomx
    Thanks for all the info guys, i will use Starling instead of Barclays if they get funny with me having more than one account.

Is it not discrimination ? If you have a good credit score you can make as many accounts as you want, but if its mediocre you can only have one,
    Are barclays the only bank which operate under this policy ?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 10,024 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Is it not discrimination ?
    Of course it's discrimination but there's nothing inherently unlawful or even unfair about discrimination as such.

Discrimination against people because of protected characteristics (age, sex, colour, etc, etc), now that's a different story....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

1,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin