Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AmIBeingRobbed
    • By AmIBeingRobbed 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 57Posts
    • 7Thanks
    AmIBeingRobbed
    Best Way to Retain Landline Number
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    Best Way to Retain Landline Number 8th Aug 18 at 9:51 AM
    I have just switched my Phone and Broadband back to BT. Initially, we were given a temporary number pending a change back to my original number. On the day the temporary number was to be changed back to the original number, we lost the phone service and have had none for 7 days. It looks unlikely that BT and Openreach can restore the service at all or in any reasonable time. (The Broadband is working but more slowly than I would expect.)

BT is unwilling to insist OpenReach gets my original number working in a reasonable time or provide a temporary number. So I could have no phone service for quite some time. OFCOM has advised I might be better off trying to find an alternative provider willing to exert more influence over Openreach.

Does anyone know a good provider who can help me retain my land line number in this kind of situation?
Page 1
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 8th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    Are you in contract with BT for the phone line (that they're not providing) and your broadband for the next 12 months? If so then you would become responsible for cancellation charges if you don't stay with BT? (Within their terms it will say they have to provide you with a line but not necessarily your chosen number)

Was the number originally with BT, or did it originate with another provider? I tried to move from Sky to BT last year, and apparently the number I had with Sky couldn't be transferred, and that meant no-one would ever be able enable a transfer for this number. If you are in this position then open reach may be giving you incorrect information.

They will refund you the cost of the line rental for any periods when they fail to provide a service, as I had this, and they did.

I appreciate your frustration, but if you don't treat any landine number as "mine" then it's easier!
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4,998 Posts
    • 11,260 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    Transfer the number to VOIP and use that to make / receive calls? Then you only need the broadband to work.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 11,399 Posts
    • 5,010 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    Problem is as always you don't own the number .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,360Posts Today

6,061Users online

Martin's Twitter