Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 8th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    • 37,191Posts
    • 83,902Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Wedding anniversary day out pics.
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:46 AM
    Wedding anniversary day out pics. 8th Aug 18 at 9:46 AM
    Monday was our 35th wedding anniversary, so we took the Money Pit out for a tour of the Somerset countryside.

A pit stop here for a most excellent lunch, with my Lovely Cousin having a good slurp in the shade. Toasted bacon and Zumerzet Brie sandridges went down a treat.

We were close to Brizzle airport where we could watch hairy planes land amongst the chimley pots.

After lunch we headed towards Wells and wandered around a reclamation yard. It's amazing what you can buy there.

The Cannon of Wells. I think the price tag was somewhere around the three grand mark. Anyway, it wouldn't fit in the boot so we didn't buy it.

Getting tanked up.

It's not November the fifth yet is it?

Well I'll be the son of a gun.

Something to crow about. Note it's height compared with the old street lamps.

The chap on the horse is thinking, that young lady must be very poor and can't afford clothes. The Money Pit is in the background to her right.

After this, we meandered around until we found an ice cream van at Chew Valley lake.

Bottoms up!

A family of gooses. Mum and dad in the lead and a gaggle of teenagers behind.

We then wound our way above the north shore of Chew Valley and Blagdon lakes.

Unusual trees in a barren land. Do you know what the obelisk was planted for?

It's a marker for the "line of works," the water pipeline from the Blagdon Lake Pumping Station to Bristol. Set on the top of a hill above the lake, it allowed surveyors to ensure the pipeline was dug in the correct direction since Bristol was "over the hill" and couldn't be seen.

Panoramic view looking down to Chew Valley Lake. Can you see the fisherman in the gap between the trees on the foreshore?

Well I'll take a boat out!

Blagdon Lake, showing low water levels. The farm on the far side on the right is where Yeo Valley yoghurt comes from. What a splendid tree in the foreground.

Re-hydration station, old style, near the internationally renowned metropolis of Nempnett Thrubwell.

It's not until the sun catches the windscreen that you realise how filthy it is. Eleanor is debating which way to lead us.

Luckily she decided not to take us down here.

Back near where we started, alongside the runway at Brizzle airport.

We had a picnic here and chatted to a few plane spotters before heading home. A grand day out indeed.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 08-08-2018 at 9:55 AM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    z1a
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    "Gooses"!!!
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    Lovely photos. And funny how the sanest poster on here is called Fruitcake

When England was a Kingdom we had a King, when we were an empire we had an emperor. Now we're a country and we have Margaret Thatcher

the late great Kenny Everett
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 138,387 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:41 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:41 AM

And Easter Island statues, from the Lilliputian universe.
    Who would have thunk it!

Originally posted by fibonarchie
    He only pretends to be sane!
    He originally started pretending, so that they'd let him out.

A bit like that chap on Colditz, but in reverse.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 138,387 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:57 AM
    I did a google earth recce of Awkward Hill.

From that you can't really gauge how steep it it is, but it is mighty narrow, so I can imagine it's jolly awkward if you meet something coming the other way, and one of you has to reverse down or up a very steep slope!

Edit...... the word awkward came originally from an old Norse word, afugr, meaning 'turned the wrong way'!

I think that meaning would hold sway over the current meaning, if you did meet something else halfway up!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 09-08-2018 at 7:59 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 37,191 Posts
    • 83,902 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    "Gooses"!!!
    Originally posted by z1a
    The plural of goose, of course.

Originally posted by fibonarchie

How very dare you! You will ruin my reputation if you go around saying disparaging remarks like that.

I did a google earth recce of Awkward Hill.

From that you can't really gauge how steep it it is, but it is mighty narrow, so I can imagine it's jolly awkward if you meet something coming the other way, and one of you has to reverse down or up a very steep slope!

Edit...... the word awkward came originally from an old Norse word, afugr, meaning 'turned the wrong way'!

I think that meaning would hold sway over the current meaning, if you did meet something else halfway up!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    The Money Pit is not the smallest car in the county, but luckily there is not much traffic down these lanes. There is one I am want to throw the car down where there are no passing places for 2 1/4 miles, save for the odd farm gateway.

Awkward Lane is very steep, and twisty. It's brakes on all the way down. It leads down to the lovely village of Ubley, but we wanted to go along the top road where you get the odd spectackliar view.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 09-08-2018 at 2:09 PM.
    I don't have a sister.

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 138,387 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:52 PM

The Money Pit is not the smallest car in the county, but luckily there is not much traffic down these lanes. There is one I am want to throw the car down where there are no passing places for 2 1/4 miles, save for the odd farm gateway.

Awkward Lane is very steep, and twisty. It's brakes on all the way down. It leads down to the lovely village of Ubley, but we wanted to go along the top road where you get the odd spectackliar view.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    A bit like Porlock Hill, then.

I was there once, a few years ago, and had plotted my route from the map to go up it, but then saw signs saying Toll Road, but thought, why is there a Toll Road? and carried on towards Porlock Hill.
    So, in my little 1 litre Micra, up I went, oblivious to what was ahead, changing down into third, down into second, down into first, and then started panicking, as I had no more gears to go down into.
    Was worried about what I should do if I stalled!
    And what if the handbrake wouldn't hold?

However, by leaning forward a lot, and pushing on the steering wheel, the car choked and spluttered its way up to the top and got to the brow, much to my absolute relief.

It was a lot cooler up there! And a lovely view!

However, what goes up must come down and I didn't know which was worse....... burning the gears or burning the brakes.

It was just awful. So scary.

I survived. But needed therapy for weeks.

But anyway, I realised why there was a toll road.
    And I used it on the way back!

The car never forgave me, though.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 138,387 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:55 PM

It leads down to the lovely village of Ubley......
    If it's that lovely, you could say it is Ubley Jubbly!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 37,191 Posts
    • 83,902 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:28 PM

I was there once, a few years ago, and had plotted my route from the map to go up it, but then saw signs saying Toll Road, but thought, why is there a Toll Road? and carried on towards Porlock Hill.
    So, in my little 1 litre Micra, up I went, oblivious to what was ahead, changing down into third, down into second, down into first, and then started panicking, as I had no more gears to go down into.

However, by leaning forward a lot, and pushing on the steering wheel, the car choked and spluttered its way up to the top and got to the brow, much to my absolute relief.

However, what goes up must come down and I didn't know which was worse....... burning the gears or burning the brakes.

The hairpin bend is the worst, going up and down. Try doing it on an old British motorbike. They were not renowned for their bakes.

I know one guy who had an old banger. When it wouldn't go up in first gear, he turned it round and went up it in the lower ratio reverse gear. Now THAT was hairy.

If it's that lovely, you could say it is Ubley Jubbly!
    Somebody once painted Lovely J_____ on one of the nearby finger post signs.
    I don't have a sister.

• melanzana
    • By melanzana 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 7,376 Thanks
    melanzana
    What lovely pics, and very amusing and uplifting posts too OP. Made my day. Thanks!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    • 37,463 Posts
    • 138,387 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I know one guy who had an old banger. When it wouldn't go up in first gear, he turned it round and went up it in the lower ratio reverse gear. Now THAT was hairy.

I wouldn't have thought of that...... going up in reverse.
    Must file that in brain.
    Present car is a 1.8l though, so probably wouldn't need to.

Mind you, just turning round on that gradient would be pretty traumatic! I'm ok with hill starts, but even so!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 7,442 Thanks
    Murphybear

I do sympathise. We e been up and down Porlock Hill many times. It was scary at first but on the other hand OH was doing the driving
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 10th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I only have childhood memories of Porlock Hill. I just vaguely remember it being steep Guess my parents and auntie would have had the same problems you lot had when driving up and down it. This was back in about 1980.
    When England was a Kingdom we had a King, when we were an empire we had an emperor. Now we're a country and we have Margaret Thatcher

the late great Kenny Everett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,299Posts Today

8,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin