Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 8th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,185Posts
    • 484Thanks
    Exemplar
    Not a rant about cyclists - just a question
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:41 AM
    Not a rant about cyclists - just a question 8th Aug 18 at 9:41 AM
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/299f522k8/

So I drive to work because I have to. On the days I don't need the car I cycle and use the cycle lanes. I'm not precious about my bike and use it as I use the car, a tool to fulfil a function.

For the past few days I have noticed what I would class as sporting cyclists using a particularly dangerous part of my route. My post this morning is to just understand why these guys would rather cycle dangerously than use the cycle path provided (in the pictures you will see it, the cycle lane is the larger part, pedestrians get the narrower part closer to the road).

I'm sure that there are many arguments as to why from either side but I'm interested as to why someone would both put themselves in harms way from a vehicle over a pedestrian and also why It's considered acceptable to retard the traffic so badly (as was the case this morning).

I'm not after an argument (although it will turn in to one as usual) rather a genuine reason. Do roads offer more safety? Are there less hazards? is it OK to not use a (in this case) well maintained cycle lane?

Picture 1 = Aerial view
    Picture 2 = South to North Street View

Last edited by Exemplar; 08-08-2018 at 9:46 AM.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 21,712 Posts
    • 17,587 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    What a strange post.

My response (as a non-cyclist) to your first two questions is that it depends on the road and the cycle lane and individuals assessment of the risks of each. For your final question the answer is always yes unless cyclists are actually prohibited from using the road.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 8th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:55 AM
    What a strange post.

My response (as a non-cyclist) to your first two questions is that it depends on the road and the cycle lane and individuals assessment of the risks of each. For your final question the answer is always yes unless cyclists are actually prohibited from using the road.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    What an odd reply,

Thanks though...
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 19,950 Posts
    • 46,165 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    Who knows?

You always get a whole batch of numpty cyclist on the roads at Tour de France time of year.

Why do I come across gaggles of them on country lanes riding black bikes, wearing all black clothing and black helmets? They think they're too cool for 'be bright be seen', although I doubt they'll feel so cool when they're splattered over a car bonnet.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 8th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    Bit harsh...
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 8th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 12,600 Posts
    • 8,605 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    I have not looked at your pictures, but often use the road rather than the cycle path because that makes it possible to maintain higher speeds. Cycle paths are designed for low speeds and so often have sharp bends and poor surfaces that can only be negotiated by slowing down almost to the speed of a jogger.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 8th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    What a strange post.

Originally posted by agrinnall
    I have not looked at your pictures, but often use the road rather than the cycle path because that makes it possible to maintain higher speeds. Cycle paths are designed for low speeds and so often have sharp bends and poor surfaces that can only be negotiated by slowing down almost to the speed of a jogger.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Thanks for a sensible reply, good answer.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    Who knows?

You always get a whole batch of numpty cyclist on the roads at Tour de France time of year.

Why do I come across gaggles of them on country lanes riding black bikes, wearing all black clothing and black helmets? They think they're too cool for 'be bright be seen', although I doubt they'll feel so cool when they're splattered over a car bonnet.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    If you can't see them you need to urgently cut up your license and send it back to the DVLA
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:39 PM

So I drive to work because I have to. On the days I don't need the car I cycle and use the cycle lanes. I'm not precious about my bike and use it as I use the car, a tool to fulfil a function.

For the past few days I have noticed what I would class as sporting cyclists using a particularly dangerous part of my route. My post this morning is to just understand why these guys would rather cycle dangerously than use the cycle path provided (in the pictures you will see it, the cycle lane is the larger part, pedestrians get the narrower part closer to the road).

I'm sure that there are many arguments as to why from either side but I'm interested as to why someone would both put themselves in harms way from a vehicle over a pedestrian and also why It's considered acceptable to retard the traffic so badly (as was the case this morning).

I'm not after an argument (although it will turn in to one as usual) rather a genuine reason. Do roads offer more safety? Are there less hazards? is it OK to not use a (in this case) well maintained cycle lane?

Picture 1 = Aerial view
    Picture 2 = South to North Street View

Originally posted by Exemplar
    The general advice is that if you are doing more than 18mph then use the road not the cycle lanes that are shared (or where pedestrians might use them) both for safety and to maintain a steady speed.

A B road is a lot safer than riding on an A road, particularly as the limits are typically 30 or 40.

Cycle lanes are routinely not maintained, full of rubbish/glass/debris etc hence why I rarely use them
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 8th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Exemplar
    The general advice is that if you are doing more than 18mph then use the road not the cycle lanes that are shared (or where pedestrians might use them) both for safety and to maintain a steady speed.

A B road is a lot safer than riding on an A road, particularly as the limits are typically 30 or 40.

Cycle lanes are routinely not maintained, full of rubbish/glass/debris etc hence why I rarely use them
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Good reply again, thanks.

I think we may just be lucky here in Newark that the cycle lanes certainly seem to well kept.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 19,950 Posts
    • 46,165 Thanks
    peachyprice
    If you can't see them you need to urgently cut up your license and send it back to the DVLA
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    My eyesight is fine thanks. However, I am not the only person on the road.

What is not fine is a person all in back, so so much as a light on their bike or a reflective strip on their clothing against a dark hedgerow cycling under a tree canopy that makes them near invisible on windy lanes with a 60mph speed limit.

Why would anybody be so stupid to leave themselves wide open to the risk of getting hit by a vehicle like that? Complete lack of common sense for vanity.

Oh, and I cycle myself, so no need for motorist bashing.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 8th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 11,791 Thanks
    NBLondon
    d (in the pictures you will see it, the cycle lane is the larger part, pedestrians get the narrower part closer to the road)
    That's an odd design ... It means pedestrians are potentially being overtaken on both sides. It also looks quite narrow - so I wonder if some cyclists are avoiding it because of pedestrians tending to use both sides of the dotted line. Shared paths sound like a great idea - but some of them are really badly designed and/or not properly signed.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 27.97 $4.28 6.62 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 8th Aug 18, 3:42 PM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Is the cycle path the narrow one marked by the dotted line on the pavement? It's difficult to say as I haven't cycled there although I don't like these sort of cycle paths here locally as they're usually not maintained and can have quite a bit of debris kicked up by cars, they're narrow, they can be shared with pedestrians, there's no divider to the road and you have to stop to cross junctions and other roads rather than just go along the road.

If I'm on a mountain bike I'm more likely to use these paths as it's much slower and can handle rough terrain whereas if I'm on the road bike I try to avoid them as it's much faster and its slick, narrow tyres and rigid fork are not good on rougher surfaces.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 8th Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 8,195 Thanks
    spadoosh

What is not fine is a person all in back, so so much as a light on their bike or a reflective strip on their clothing against a dark hedgerow cycling under a tree canopy that makes them near invisible on windy lanes with a 60mph speed limit.

Why would anybody be so stupid to leave themselves wide open to the risk of getting hit by a vehicle like that? Complete lack of common sense for vanity.

You should visit your physician if youre seeing things that cant be seen.

If, as i suspect, youre realising the absurdity of your comments or have exaggerated them it would be welcome to point that out.
    Don't be angry!
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 8,481 Posts
    • 6,226 Thanks
    esuhl
    The vast majority of cycle paths in this country are unusable. Either they stop every 10 metres, leaving you trying to rejoin traffic or cross the road... Or they're inherently dangerous, with concealed entrances where pedestrians appear from, having no idea they're wandering into moving traffic... Or they're filled with debris.

I'd never take a cycle path unless I was familiar with the route and already knew that the path was a good one that wouldn't slow me down.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 8th Aug 18, 6:02 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    Kite2010

Couldn't agree more, some cyclists have death wishes dressed all in black, riding with no lights on, dodging on & off pavements when it suits them, jumping red lights like they are meaningless. Especially this time of year when the nights are slowly drawing in, to see such cyclists riding around without any cares when it is nearly dark.

Off course a small minority of cyclists actually care and will wear reflective gear, use lights and actually take notice of red lights/pavements, but only a small minority.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 19,950 Posts
    • 46,165 Thanks
    peachyprice
    You should visit your physician if youre seeing things that cant be seen.

If, as i suspect, youre realising the absurdity of your comments or have exaggerated them it would be welcome to point that out.
    Originally posted by spadoosh

I can't believe anyone would defend such stupid behaviour, but I guess I've hit a nerve?

As for exaggeration, no, I'll take a photo of the idiots next time I'm out on the lanes, there are plenty out there.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Couldn't agree more, some cyclists have death wishes dressed all in black, riding with no lights on, dodging on & off pavements when it suits them, jumping red lights like they are meaningless. Especially this time of year when the nights are slowly drawing in, to see such cyclists riding around without any cares when it is nearly dark.

Off course a small minority of cyclists actually care and will wear reflective gear, use lights and actually take notice of red lights/pavements, but only a small minority.
    Originally posted by Kite2010

Do you have any proof that only a small minority? No, thought not.

Watch any dash cam youtube video and you'll see hundreds of red light jumping motorists, motorists driving on pavements, wrong way down the one way street yada yada
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Nasqueron

As I said, if you can't see a cyclist then best give up the driving license. Bikes aren't all black, shoes frequently have reflectors on, skin is uncovered etc etc. Certainly there is an issue seeing well in advance if you are not looking, but if you pay attention to the road it's fine
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Aug 18, 6:54 PM
    • 6,201 Posts
    • 3,780 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Good reply again, thanks.

I think we may just be lucky here in Newark that the cycle lanes certainly seem to well kept.

They won't be - rarely gritted in winter, covered in slippery leaves in autumn and ended up filled with road debris is the normal situation (along with pedestrians wandering all over, uncontrolled dogs/kids etc)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,359Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter