Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RME83
    • By RME83 8th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    RME83
    Selling my flat - how much work to do before selling?
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    Selling my flat - how much work to do before selling? 8th Aug 18 at 9:34 AM
    I am in a position where i am looking to sell my flat with a view to purchasing a property jointly with my partner.

We have been doing work in the flat recently in terms of skimming artex and painting walls but im reluctant to tackle the kitchen as these are usually expensive jobs.

The units arent too bad but the kitchen in general looks a bit tired. I also have the added complication of the integrated dishwasher which broke several years ago and is non fuctioning. Should i go to the effort of replacing the dishwasher or should i just make potential buyers aware of it?
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 13,757 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    I'd say fix it because otherwise it gives a poor impression that you aren't maintaining the flat as a whole. What are they, 250?
    Don't redo the kitchen though. You won't get the money back and whose to say your taste will match your buyers? Can you refresh it so it looks nice? New doors or paint the doors, that sort of thing.. all depends how bad it is of course.
    • Stubod
    • By Stubod 8th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Stubod
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    I would get the dishwasher "fixed". It's something that would put me off as a buyer as it's hassle from day one. It may not add any more "value", just makes it more appealing for a buyer. Kitchen may not be an issue if it's condition is reflected in the asking price, (could even be a selling point, price reduced so you can get a brand new kitchen of your own choice?)
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 8th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    As above - skip the kitchen, if reflected in the price, plenty of people will count it as an advantage to re-do it as they see fit. Fix/replace the dishwasher or at least chug it, otherwise it smacks of poor maintenance.

If you have to redecorate use neutral colours. Only change the carpets if they are really tired, otherwise leave the choice to the new owner.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 8th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    I'd be inclined to sell as is, but it depends on your price and target market?

When we sold a 2-bedroom flat a few years ago, the Agent's advice (given that we had a similarly tired kitchen) was not to waste time but to clean the place up but do absolutely nothing by way of renovation.
    He was right, and his prediction; that the location and mid-upper range price-bracket and popular location meant that the buyer's first action would be to replace the kitchen.

He was right; it sold that weekend, before it even hit the websites. The buyer got the kitchen measured up before completion and by week two of her ownership it was all ripped out.

Whereas if properties are slow to sell in your area, or if the people you are selling to are likely to be 1st time buyers with less disposable cash, a superficial freshen -up might make it sell quicker .

I put new doors on my kitchen base and wall-units, plus new pelmets and plinths as a DIY job in a couple of days for a couple of hundred quid; and as someone says above, a dishwasher would take the total refit to 500-odd. Even if you had to get someone in to replace the worktops (by which time you might be looking at new sink, taps or even hob) you're probably into not much more than a grand or so...

... but that would waste time, and even assuming you get offers in a month or so, take you into an unpopular pre-Christmas completion. And while you might recoup a couple of hundred quid on the price, you won't get 1-2k back unless its a mid-high range price?

Ask the agent; they'll probably advise you to market it as is, but to just clean, de-clutter and temporarily lose all non-essential furniture to make it look bigger (in fact do that even if they don't advise you to).
    • RME83
    • By RME83 8th Aug 18, 1:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RME83
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:52 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:52 PM
    I'd be inclined to sell as is, but it depends on your price and target market?

When we sold a 2-bedroom flat a few years ago, the Agent's advice (given that we had a similarly tired kitchen) was not to waste time but to clean the place up but do absolutely nothing by way of renovation.
    He was right, and his prediction; that the location and mid-upper range price-bracket and popular location meant that the buyer's first action would be to replace the kitchen.

He was right; it sold that weekend, before it even hit the websites. The buyer got the kitchen measured up before completion and by week two of her ownership it was all ripped out.

Whereas if properties are slow to sell in your area, or if the people you are selling to are likely to be 1st time buyers with less disposable cash, a superficial freshen -up might make it sell quicker .

I put new doors on my kitchen base and wall-units, plus new pelmets and plinths as a DIY job in a couple of days for a couple of hundred quid; and as someone says above, a dishwasher would take the total refit to 500-odd. Even if you had to get someone in to replace the worktops (by which time you might be looking at new sink, taps or even hob) you're probably into not much more than a grand or so...

... but that would waste time, and even assuming you get offers in a month or so, take you into an unpopular pre-Christmas completion. And while you might recoup a couple of hundred quid on the price, you won't get 1-2k back unless its a mid-high range price?

Ask the agent; they'll probably advise you to market it as is, but to just clean, de-clutter and temporarily lose all non-essential furniture to make it look bigger (in fact do that even if they don't advise you to).
    Originally posted by AlexMac

Thanks for the advice - its a 3 bedroom maisonette in a decent area, I bought it for 97,500 about 8 years ago so id hope to get about 110k for it at the prices now - they dont go on the market very often (people like the building and its pretty unique to the area) so its tough to gauge what they would typically go for
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 26,107 Posts
    • 70,522 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    It isn't hard to remove the 'integrated' bit of the dishwasher. It's only actually a door attached to the machine so it isn't much more than sliding it out.

Cheaper than a repair would be to buy a second hand freestanding dishwasher from eBay for 50 or whatever and pop it in place. Our repair guy charges 37 just for the call out.

I'd say leave the space empty even, but the floor might look bad underneath. You get to show that there is space for a dishwasher but don't have to go to the effort of fitting an integrated one back up if the kitchen needs replacing anyway.

Most MSE part is that you can choose to leave it or sell it on eBay again
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

1,480Users online

Martin's Twitter