Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 8th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Plantation7
    Cancelling Conservatory Contract?
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    Cancelling Conservatory Contract? 8th Aug 18 at 8:46 AM
    After allowing the Company to remove old conservatory the next stage was to build the new one, however the builder arrived with an attitude problem telling me the skip is to full and he doesn't want to do it, he also used bad language and threatened to have the bricks delivered and placed on my front lawn for months, i responded by refusing the order of bricks until he does his job.
    The owner of the company then came to my home when i was at work and started asking the neighbours what kind of person i was and if i could be trusted, this made me furious and i asked if they could get another builder, they said yes in 3 months time; so i asked if i could cancel my contract, the owner said if you allow us to keep your 500 deposit for removal of the old cons you can cancel however, when i asked for this in writing he refused.
    The cooling off period is long gone and the contract has no time limit, i defo don't want to continue with these people after this but i'm concerned i might be in breach of contract if i cancel, all it says under cancellation in the T&C's is send a letter to head office saying you wish to cancel the contract.
    I have the letter ready to send by recorded delivery but i wonder if i should get advice from a Solicitor first.
    Don't Trust Anybody!
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    Why does the skip being too full stop him building the new conservatory?
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 8th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Plantation7
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    Why does the skip being too full stop him building the new conservatory?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Exactly what i thought, we have a problem with fly tippers filling skips in the middle of the night in our area and i told the Company if they choose to leave the skip over the weekend it might be full on Monday, but they didn't believe me.
    The builder claims he needs to dig out more soil and so needed a skip to do it, but the owner had previously told me the soil will trickle down into the skip anyway and looking at it i think it would because it's not completely full.
    I told the builder to throw the soil on the back lawn if he needed just to get it started but he refused that also.
    The owner is now blaming me for refusing to have the bricks delivered he claims he trusts his life with this builder and believes him over me however, my neighbours heard the builder saying he didn't want to do the job on his mobile and said they would back me up on that.
    Don't Trust Anybody!
    • bris
    • By bris 8th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 7,791 Posts
    • 6,778 Thanks
    bris
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    The breach goes both ways. Send who you have the contract with a "time is of the essence" letter giving them X amount of time to complete the contract or you will hold them in breach of contract.

Also state in this letter that this breach will allow you to claim from them any consequential losses this breach costs you.

Contracts aren't one sided, any unfair terms in the contract will be ignored by the courts (for consumers) so anything that is one sided will be generally be ignored.
    • Plantation7
    • By Plantation7 8th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Plantation7
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    The breach goes both ways. Send who you have the contract with a "time is of the essence" letter giving them X amount of time to complete the contract or you will hold them in breach of contract.

Also state in this letter that this breach will allow you to claim from them any consequential losses this breach costs you.

Contracts aren't one sided, any unfair terms in the contract will be ignored by the courts (for consumers) so anything that is one sided will be generally be ignored.
    Originally posted by bris
    That's good to hear, to be honest i'm hoping not to continue with them with their attitude because i wouldn't trust them to do a good job after the words exchanged.
    Don't Trust Anybody!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,474Posts Today

7,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin