Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marty1997
    • By Marty1997 8th Aug 18, 7:21 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Marty1997
    NCP Glasgow
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:21 AM
    NCP Glasgow 8th Aug 18 at 7:21 AM
    Hi,
    Looking for some advice. Some of it seems to say respond to the PCN, and some says ignore.
    Scenario is my wife drove into the external open NCP. The car park operates on a number plate recognition, so you go in, park, do your shopping/business, and then pay on return, entering your registration into the machine and paying the charge.
    The car park was busy, so she parked at the end of the row, into what she assumed was the last available space.
    She did her shopping, and returned, putting the registration into the machine, and paying for the time she'd been in the park.
    When she got back to the car, the other cars adjacent had gone, and the NCP warden had taken a photo, and given her a ticket. Reason being for a breach of the contractual terms and conditions, namely, 'Not parked correctly within the markings of the bay.'
    She took the ticket, and put it in the car, where it lay for some time.
    I returned home, and found a letter from NCP addressed to me, giving 28 days to pay the 100 fine/penalty.
    Unfortunately I arrived, after the 28 days had expired.
    I have since received a follow up from DRP (Debt Recovery Plus Ltd), asking for 160, and threatening that they will recommend to their client (NCP Limited), that they take court action against me.
    They have put a statement at the bottom as follows:
    'Important Information - Supreme Court decision about parking charges. You've probably heard people say that parking charges aren't lawful and that motorists shouldn't pay them. However, in November 2015 a parking operator, like our client, took a motorist to court for a parking charge - and won. The Supreme Court ruled that the parking charge was lawful. The ruling is seen as an important 'test case' for parking operators, like our client. You can find details online at .supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html
    I tried to follow the link to see details, but it didn't work.

My wife paid for the time she was parked, so it seems s little unfair to drop another 100 onto the already inflated charge (now 160).
    I went to the car park for a look, and there are little, or no markings on the ground along the line of cars where she parked, with her parking in the last space.
    I think they are saying that where she parked is not a designated 'space', but there are no markings to say that it is not.

Any thoughts/advice? Should I respond, or ignore?
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 8th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 8,847 Posts
    • 11,720 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    Firstly read the NEWBIES thread on the front page of this forum

Scotland is fully explained for you.

You missed the appeal period, hence the idiot debt
    collectors

DRP are simply sewer life and they are POWERLESS
    to do anything. The amount DRP add on, is like a finders
    fee and they think you are a mug

Read about DRP and the rubbish they write ......
    Debt Collectors (DRP & ZZPS) What they don't want you to know

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74617829#post74617829

YOU TOTALLY IGNORE DRP or any other debt collector
    and NEVER EVER CONTACT THEM.

The clue about SCOTLAND is that you are the keeper and
    NEVER THE DRIVER

If NCP want to go further, they will contact you, then come back here
    for all help you need

In the meantime, go and take pictures of the area and signs
    Last edited by beamerguy; 08-08-2018 at 7:45 AM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 5,853 Thanks
    waamo
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    From the FAQ's
    [Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM.

IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS.
    This space for hire.
    • Marty1997
    • By Marty1997 8th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marty1997
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    Ah that's great chaps! Your prompt response is much appreciated!
    You've alleviated some concern from my wife, who thought she might be owing me copious amounts of Guinness for the near future! !!!55357;!!!56842;
    Thanks again!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

382Posts Today

4,893Users online

Martin's Twitter