Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 8th Aug 18, 12:14 AM
    • 94Posts
    • 24Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    0 WOW
    First Passport
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:14 AM
    0 WOW
    First Passport 8th Aug 18 at 12:14 AM
    Just need some advice, this Friday (August 10) I am going to send of my passport form to get my first ever passport as I booked my first ever holiday to Benidorm in January, but I have been told that I will need to attend an interview to continue the process of getting a passport, is this true? or does the interview not apply to everyone?

Any advice would be great, thank you
Page 2
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 13th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    if you ordered then from GRO they usually arrive in about 5 days if you give the reference and 15 days if you don't have the reference.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 23,595 Posts
    • 63,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Update: I have rang the registration to check the status of my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate and the lady who I spoken to, she said that they will arrive at the beginning of September because she also said that they is a bank holiday coming up, do you think I got plenty of time before January? as soon as I get them, I can send my passport foam off ASAP.
    Originally posted by Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Yes.

How long it takes

It should take 3 weeks to get your passport. Use a different service if you need it urgently.
    It can take longer if more information is needed or your application has not been filled in correctly.
    https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

You have probably in excess of 4 months.
    Please stop stressing.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    waamo
    Should be fine. A friend of mine got one in 6 weeks recently. It may take longer where you are but even so it shouldn't take a silly amount of time.
    This space for hire.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 13th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Ok thanks for your replies. I forgot to ask, will a council tax debt stop me from getting a passport? I am just worried as I have a debt at the moment and I am paying Jacobs enforcement £40.00 per month. I am just curious that's all.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 23,595 Posts
    • 63,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OP
    I feel like coming over, giving you a big hug, sitting you down with a large G&T and telling you to bloody stop worrying!

OK.
    It's been a long, long time since I first applied for a passport.
    Does the application form ask about any debt? (I'd guess probably not).
    If it doesn't ask that question, how will anyone know?
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 13th Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    OP
    I feel like coming over, giving you a big hug, sitting you down with a large G&T and telling you to bloody stop worrying!

OK.
    It's been a long, long time since I first applied for a passport.
    Does the application form ask about any debt? (I'd guess probably not).
    If it doesn't ask that question, how will anyone know?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Hi Pollycat, haha, cheers, no, it doesn't mention on the form any debt at all lol
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    waamo
    Do you plan on skipping the country and living somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty?

If the answer is yes then don't let the authorities get wind or they might question you more before they give you a passport.
    This space for hire.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 13th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Do you plan on skipping the country and living somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty?

If the answer is yes then don't let the authorities get wind or they might question you more before they give you a passport.
    Originally posted by waamo
    What? No, I am just worried / paranoid that I won't get my passport in time before January arrives, but maybe I should just calm down as everyone keep saying I will get it before January lol.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Aug 18, 6:33 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    waamo
    Take the advice to apply online. It really is much easier.
    This space for hire.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 14th Aug 18, 7:22 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Take the advice to apply online. It really is much easier.
    I have been told that if you apply online, it will cost more because you would need to pay for the passport when online is filled in, but what if mistakes happen on the online filling and you print it out and if any mistakes and you send it off and it will get rejected and you got to apply again and obviously you need to pay another £75.00 for a passport again, that's why it cost more if you do it online, unless I am wrong? sorry, I am new to applying for a passport haha.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    waamo
    You only print the declaration form that you have to sign. The rest is done online.

It's really not difficult and you can't go wrong. It's also cheaper.
    This space for hire.
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 14th Aug 18, 7:53 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    Haha, that won't be happening as I am a gay male lol
    That doesnít stop you having kids!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 23,595 Posts
    • 63,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    You only print the declaration form that you have to sign. The rest is done online.

It's really not difficult and you can't go wrong. It's also cheaper.

^^^ Do think about doing this.

Do you have someone who can sit with you and check your application as you complete it? Just to set your mind at rest?
    If you weren't so far away, I'd come and do it with you.

We used to do that with our Indian visas - me inputting, OH checking every word and number as I did it and then we'd recheck together before moving on to the next page.

And believe me - THAT was stressful.

You already have the paper application form and the online form will not ask you any different questions.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 14th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    So do you all advice me to apply for it online instead of a foam? is it much easy and less stressful? I don't need help filling it in as I can read haha, just a bit curious if online is easy the foam? I will have to go to Library and do it as I got a new desktop PC but I don't have a printer to print it out at the end when I done it and where do I send it when I done it online?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    waamo
    The online form is easier. If you don't need to do a section it automatically skips it.

You can even part fill it and come back to it later. Instructions on what to do are easy to follow. It will tell you exactly where to send the declaration to.
    This space for hire.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 14th Aug 18, 1:10 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    The online form is easier. If you don't need to do a section it automatically skips it.

You can even part fill it and come back to it later. Instructions on what to do are easy to follow. It will tell you exactly where to send the declaration to.
    Oh, that sounds like it's much easy then foam, I will give it a go online then, I won't do it yet as I need to wait for at least a few more weeks as I am giving my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate a head start delivering as if I do it online now, my time would have run out by the time they got delivered as I believe once you printed it out, you only got to send it by a month and then if you haven't sent it by then, then you got to fill and pay £80.00 again.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 14th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    z1a
    What foam? Will be difficult to write on!
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 14th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    What foam? Will be difficult to write on!
    Originally posted by z1a
    I mean form haha
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 14th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    smudge56
    I have been told that if you apply online, it will cost more because you would need to pay for the passport when online is filled in, but what if mistakes happen on the online filling and you print it out and if any mistakes and you send it off and it will get rejected and you got to apply again and obviously you need to pay another £75.00 for a passport again, that's why it cost more if you do it online, unless I am wrong? sorry, I am new to applying for a passport haha.
    Whoever told you this is talking utter rubbish. Doing it online works out about £20 cheaper than going through the check and send route.
    Itís easier to complete as it prompts you every step. If thereís anything missing, HMPO will write or email you. You wonít get charged again once you have paid. The whole examining process, providing you have submitted the correct documents, will take around a week or two. You will then receive a letter asking you to make an appointment for you interview. Itís a very informal chat to ensure no one has stolen your ID and tried to get a passport in your Name. Nothing to worry about. The only thing that stops you getting a passport is not providing the correct documents to prove you are a British citizen
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 14th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    smudge56
    Oh, that sounds like it's much easy then foam, I will give it a go online then, I won't do it yet as I need to wait for at least a few more weeks as I am giving my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate a head start delivering as if I do it online now, my time would have run out by the time they got delivered as I believe once you printed it out, you only got to send it by a month and then if you haven't sent it by then, then you got to fill and pay £80.00 again.
    You have 90 days to send in your declaration and documents
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

624Posts Today

6,021Users online

Martin's Twitter