First Passport

Comments

• Hi, Can I have some advice on filling in the form as I want to make sure I get it right for my passport application goes smoothly this time. I am only filling in the foam at the moment as I can't send it off just yet until my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate arrive.

It says on the form in Section 1 it says the following: If you want to pay for a 48-page passport, put a (X) in this box, what does this mean? Is this normal / standard passport? and should I put an X?

Also, in Section 5 it says this: Certificate of registration or naturalisation - Has the person named in section 2 been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation? Cross (X) in the No or Yes box. Anyone know what this means? I am confused.

Any advice would be great, thank you.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You don't need to pay extra for the 'jumbo' size 48-page passport, unless you think you will travel so much to countries requiring visas and entry stamps that you will fill a 32-pager before the ten years validity. UK passports are not currently stamped in and out of European countries, but that may change of course.

I can't see the form you are filling, but you only go to sections as directed according to answers you already filled. If you were born British you will not have the mentioned certificates so you answer 'no' and proceed as directed.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Hi, Can I have some advice on filling in the form as I want to make sure I get it right for my passport application goes smoothly this time. I am only filling in the foam at the moment as I can't send it off just yet until my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate arrive.

It says on the form in Section 1 it says the following: If you want to pay for a 48-page passport, put a (X) in this box, what does this mean? Is this normal / standard passport? and should I put an X?

Also, in Section 5 it says this: Certificate of registration or naturalisation - Has the person named in section 2 been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation? Cross (X) in the No or Yes box. Anyone know what this means? I am confused.

I've never had a 'jumbo' (48 page) passport and I've had lots of visas for various countries stuck into my passport and never quite run out of spare pages during the 10 year life span.

Currently - or at least in my experience of travelling to Greece - your passport is not stamped at immigration and I doubt yours will be stamped when you arrive at Alicante airport.

I'd say unless you plan to go travelling from country to country e.g. back-packing, a normal 32 page passport will be fine for you.

And stop stressing.
    It will all be fine. :)
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    presumably you were born in the UK? (otherwise would have had a passport before) - also parents were probably born in the UK? This is the simplest version of the process and you should follow the instructions and only fill in the questions you are directed to - eg suspect you don't need to fill in the one about naturalisation etc.

For the future- if you have kids then get them passports when they are under 16, much easier - they don't have to have interviews and renewal as an adult is straightforward.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    For the future- if you have kids then get them passports when they are under 16, much easier - they don't have to have interviews and renewal as an adult is straightforward.
    Lordy!
    Let the OP get his first holiday abroad over with before he thinks about having kids (joking ;)).
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Lordy!
    Let the OP get his first holiday abroad over with before he thinks about having kids (joking ;)).

Haha, that won't be happening as I am a gay male lol ;)
  • Flugelhorn wrote: »
    presumably you were born in the UK? (otherwise would have had a passport before) - also parents were probably born in the UK? This is the simplest version of the process and you should follow the instructions and only fill in the questions you are directed to - eg suspect you don't need to fill in the one about naturalisation etc.

Hi, Yes my parents were born in the UK and I was born as well in the UK (Burnley, Lancashire, North West England).
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi, Can I have some advice on filling in the form as I want to make sure I get it right for my passport application goes smoothly this time. I am only filling in the foam at the moment as I can't send it off just yet until my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate arrive.

Complete sections 1,2,3,4 and 9. Get section 10 countersigned.
    Section 5 is only For foreign nationals who have naturalised or registered as British citizens
    Doing it online will be easier. And cheaper
  • Update: I have rang the registration to check the status of my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate and the lady who I spoken to, she said that they will arrive at the beginning of September because she also said that they is a bank holiday coming up, do you think I got plenty of time before January? as soon as I get them, I can send my passport foam off ASAP.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    if you ordered then from GRO they usually arrive in about 5 days if you give the reference and 15 days if you don't have the reference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure