Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 8th Aug 18, 1:14 AM
    • 79Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    0 WOW
    First Passport
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:14 AM
    0 WOW
    First Passport 8th Aug 18 at 1:14 AM
    Just need some advice, this Friday (August 10) I am going to send of my passport form to get my first ever passport as I booked my first ever holiday to Benidorm in January, but I have been told that I will need to attend an interview to continue the process of getting a passport, is this true? or does the interview not apply to everyone?

Any advice would be great, thank you
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Aug 18, 2:26 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:26 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:26 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, these days all new passport applicants need to attend an interview. But it's just to determine that it's not a fraudulent application and you are actually who you say you are, not whether you are eligible or not, which will be already demonstrated by documentary means. As a UK citizen you are entitled to a passport.

So it is (presumably) nothing to worry about, just a short chat with perhaps a seemingly curious question or two about your daily life, as soon as you're obviously not bogus it's done.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 8th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, these days all new passport applicants need to attend an interview. But it's just to determine that it's not a fraudulent application and you are actually who you say you are, not whether you are eligible or not, which will be already demonstrated by documentary means. As a UK citizen you are entitled to a passport.

So it is (presumably) nothing to worry about, just a short chat with perhaps a seemingly curious question or two about your daily life, as soon as you're obviously not bogus it's done.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Hi, that's great, thank you.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    Hi, today has been a total nightmare, I done it wrong 3 times on the passport foam as post office did a check and send so I had to re do it again three times - but that's not it as 4th one is also a nightmare as I need to send my parents marriage and birth certificate with my foam but my parents have't got birth certificate, so they just ordered them on the phone, which this will delay my passport. Why do they need my parents birth certificate and marriage when I am applying for the passport? they don't make it so easy. I am so stress with this all that If this delays my holiday to Benidorm, I won't be very happy at all. I only want a passport, it's not rocket science
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 30,128 Posts
    • 77,428 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    Hi, today has been a total nightmare, I done it wrong 3 times on the passport foam as post office did a check and send so I had to re do it again three times - but that's not it as 4th one is also a nightmare as I need to send my parents marriage and birth certificate with my foam but my parents have't got birth certificate, so they just ordered them on the phone, which this will delay my passport. Why do they need my parents birth certificate and marriage when I am applying for the passport? they don't make it so easy. I am so stress with this all that If this delays my holiday to Benidorm, I won't be very happy at all. I only want a passport, it's not rocket science
    Originally posted by Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    To make sure that you have the right to a British passport.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 10th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 3,458 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    It is just procedure I am afraid. As your holiday is only in January you will have a passport in good time. Try not to worry.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 6,329 Thanks
    waamo
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    At least you are being sensible and getting things sorted out in plenty of time.

The good news is subsequent passports are much easier.
    This space for hire.
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 18,856 Posts
    • 112,577 Thanks
    maman
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:41 PM
    Don't worry. It'll all be sorted well before you need to travel in January.

Soon you'll have your passport and the world's your oyster. Benidorm first then who knows??
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 10th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    Don't worry. It'll all be sorted well before you need to travel in January.

Soon you'll have your passport and the world's your oyster. Benidorm first then who knows??
    Originally posted by maman
    Haha, it sure will be, I am going to travel the world and explore lots of holiday's. First on my list is Benidorm because obviously I booked it, and then I am going to choose my next holiday when I get back
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 10th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    It is just procedure I am afraid. As your holiday is only in January you will have a passport in good time. Try not to worry.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Thanks, I will try not to
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 10th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    smudge56
    If you were born after 31/12/82 you are only a British citizen if your your parents are British or settled in the UK
    You only need your mothers birth certificate and the marriage certificate to show her change of name if her birth name doesn!!!8217;t appear on your birth certificate
    If. You had completed the form online it would have been cheaper and a lot easier as the screen prompts you if you miss anything out.
    If you were born before 1/1/1983 you only have to submit your birth certificate as you will be a British citizen by birth.
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 12th Aug 18, 12:20 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Hi, Can I have some advice on filling in the form as I want to make sure I get it right for my passport application goes smoothly this time. I am only filling in the foam at the moment as I can't send it off just yet until my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate arrive.

It says on the form in Section 1 it says the following: If you want to pay for a 48-page passport, put a (X) in this box, what does this mean? Is this normal / standard passport? and should I put an X?

Also, in Section 5 it says this: Certificate of registration or naturalisation - Has the person named in section 2 been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation? Cross (X) in the No or Yes box. Anyone know what this means? I am confused.

Any advice would be great, thank you.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    eDicky
    You don't need to pay extra for the 'jumbo' size 48-page passport, unless you think you will travel so much to countries requiring visas and entry stamps that you will fill a 32-pager before the ten years validity. UK passports are not currently stamped in and out of European countries, but that may change of course.

I can't see the form you are filling, but you only go to sections as directed according to answers you already filled. If you were born British you will not have the mentioned certificates so you answer 'no' and proceed as directed.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,157 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi, Can I have some advice on filling in the form as I want to make sure I get it right for my passport application goes smoothly this time. I am only filling in the foam at the moment as I can't send it off just yet until my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate arrive.

It says on the form in Section 1 it says the following: If you want to pay for a 48-page passport, put a (X) in this box, what does this mean? Is this normal / standard passport? and should I put an X?

Also, in Section 5 it says this: Certificate of registration or naturalisation - Has the person named in section 2 been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation? Cross (X) in the No or Yes box. Anyone know what this means? I am confused.

I've never had a 'jumbo' (48 page) passport and I've had lots of visas for various countries stuck into my passport and never quite run out of spare pages during the 10 year life span.

Currently - or at least in my experience of travelling to Greece - your passport is not stamped at immigration and I doubt yours will be stamped when you arrive at Alicante airport.

I'd say unless you plan to go travelling from country to country e.g. back-packing, a normal 32 page passport will be fine for you.

And stop stressing.
    It will all be fine.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 12th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    presumably you were born in the UK? (otherwise would have had a passport before) - also parents were probably born in the UK? This is the simplest version of the process and you should follow the instructions and only fill in the questions you are directed to - eg suspect you don't need to fill in the one about naturalisation etc.

For the future- if you have kids then get them passports when they are under 16, much easier - they don't have to have interviews and renewal as an adult is straightforward.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Aug 18, 11:37 AM
    • 21,181 Posts
    • 57,157 Thanks
    Pollycat
    For the future- if you have kids then get them passports when they are under 16, much easier - they don't have to have interviews and renewal as an adult is straightforward.
    Originally posted by Flugelhorn
    Lordy!
    Let the OP get his first holiday abroad over with before he thinks about having kids (joking ).
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 12th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Lordy!
    Let the OP get his first holiday abroad over with before he thinks about having kids (joking ).
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Haha, that won't be happening as I am a gay male lol
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 12th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    presumably you were born in the UK? (otherwise would have had a passport before) - also parents were probably born in the UK? This is the simplest version of the process and you should follow the instructions and only fill in the questions you are directed to - eg suspect you don't need to fill in the one about naturalisation etc.

Originally posted by Flugelhorn
    Hi, Yes my parents were born in the UK and I was born as well in the UK (Burnley, Lancashire, North West England).
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 12th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    smudge56

Complete sections 1,2,3,4 and 9. Get section 10 countersigned.
    Section 5 is only For foreign nationals who have naturalised or registered as British citizens
    Doing it online will be easier. And cheaper
    • Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    • By Grey's_Anatomyfan643 13th Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Grey's_Anatomyfan643
    Update: I have rang the registration to check the status of my parents birth certificate and marriage certificate and the lady who I spoken to, she said that they will arrive at the beginning of September because she also said that they is a bank holiday coming up, do you think I got plenty of time before January? as soon as I get them, I can send my passport foam off ASAP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,065Posts Today

7,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin