Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 7th Aug 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,606Posts
    • 304Thanks
    britishboy
    Why does my flash drive hang up on laptop?
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:23 PM
    Why does my flash drive hang up on laptop? 7th Aug 18 at 11:23 PM
    i have a USB flash drive on my keys with word docs and lots of photos on it. Works fine on my home PC (although i rarely use it there), but 9 out of 10 times i use it on my work laptop (in a dock, so i can use monitor and proper keyboard etc) if i click to open a photo, or click to load the next image, it hangs up with the small whirry circle and nothing happens. In the end, i have to restart my laptop

Any ideas please?
Page 1
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 8th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    If it's an a works machine, reading unauthorised flash drives may have been disabled - because it's a security risk. If you need a flash for works stuff, get one from your IT dept.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 8th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    rmg1
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:41 PM
    I had that problem with a works laptop (USB stick supplied by work).
    I periodically need to plug the USB stick into another computer (also at work) so that it was recognised and then used it in the laptop.

No-one in our IT department can explain why I need to do that, only that it works.
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 9th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    I had that problem with a works laptop (USB stick supplied by work).
    I periodically need to plug the USB stick into another computer (also at work) so that it was recognised and then used it in the laptop.

No-one in our IT department can explain why I need to do that, only that it works.
    Originally posted by rmg1
    Possibly to re-validate the security certificate..
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 9th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    rmg1
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    Possibly, or to assign it a drive letter perhaps (I thought that would have been machine specific though)?
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    i have a USB flash drive on my keys with word docs and lots of photos on it. Works fine on my home PC (although i rarely use it there), but 9 out of 10 times i use it on my work laptop
    <SNIP>
    Any ideas please?
    Originally posted by britishboy
    What you are doing is against the security practice in nearly every company/organisation. If your works IT people were worth their salt, they would have blocked the USB ports a long time ago.
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 09-08-2018 at 2:42 PM. Reason: speeling misstake
    • Chino
    • By Chino 9th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Chino
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    What you are doing is against the security practice in nearly every company/organisation.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    You evidently haven't worked for many companies and have little experience of the real world where people need to get work done.
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 9th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    You evidently haven't worked for many companies and have little experience of the real world where people need to get work done.
    Originally posted by Chino

And you evidently have no idea about securing a network...

and before you question it, I work for IT with just over 4,000 devices and 6,000 users with USB data transfer blocked by default...we "get work done"
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Aug 18, 4:51 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:51 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 4:51 PM
    Originally posted by Chino
    I worked in IT and the last thing you want is every Tom, !!!! and Harry "getting the work done", downloading confidential information to their personal memory stick and infecting the network with spyware. That is why USB memory sticks and external drives are blocked, usually with software that reports the attempt too.

The Information Commissioner will have a field day with companies who "need to get work done".
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 10,191 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Well, I work for a very large aviation company (many thousands of employees around the world) and just about every employee is required to use computers on a daily basis (both laptops and PCs) .
    Whilst it's true that only certain people have administrator rights to enable programs to be installed from USB flash drives, copying data to or from a memory stick or other USB device can be done by anyone.
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 10th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    pmartin86
    Well, I work for a very large aviation company (many thousands of employees around the world) and just about every employee is required to use computers on a daily basis (both laptops and PCs) .
    Whilst it's true that only certain people have administrator rights to enable programs to be installed from USB flash drives, copying data to or from a memory stick or other USB device can be done by anyone.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa

Out of curiosity, do you ahve any enforced encryption etc on the devices? Or is it literaly buy a USB from PC world, plug in and away you go?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 10,191 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Out of curiosity, do you ahve any enforced encryption etc on the devices? Or is it literaly buy a USB from PC world, plug in and away you go?
    Originally posted by pmartin86
    I can't speak for the computer users in what I would consider to be sensitive departments (payroll and HR) but for everyone I know of there is no encryption at all. The company supply some USB sticks but most people have one or two personal ones to copy & transfer files.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 10th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    18cc
    have you tried plugging it into other laptops at work to see if the problem re-occurs ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin