Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tommyb3000
    • By tommyb3000 7th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tommyb3000
    Vehicle Has Been Seized By Police Incorrectly
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    Vehicle Has Been Seized By Police Incorrectly 7th Aug 18 at 11:12 PM
    Hello, I was incorrectly arrested over the weekend on suspicion of theft with a friend. We where arrested and chucked to the floor with 8 officers and 6 cars. Held for 16 hours with no evidence against us what so ever. Just a description of 2 males.

The searched my house and my friends over night as well as seizing my vehicle keys, house keys and seizing one vehicle. As they seized all my keys I had no access to home or any of my 3 vehicles (and had to stay on a friends sofa).

Anyway we where proven not guilty 2 days later. When I went to collect my vehicle (which was miles away) I had to pay a £150 fee to get it back for the recovery costs. Me and my friend from the start made it very clear we had done nothing wrong and they had the wrong people. This was obviously confirmed once they closed the case and where proved not guilty.
    My argument with the police now is I am £150 short for the recovery fee. It was the polices choice to seize the vehicle so I should not be paying for this despite being innocent. As well as this I had no access to my other vehicles so I have also been left out of pocket for an additional £400 as I have been unable to work for two days. I am self employed.

Where do I stand on recovering the the £150 and also possibly getting money back for loss of earnings? The police officer has said there is nothing the police will do about this.

Thanks Tom
Page 2
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Think itís just pedantics at this stage...
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I don't know what your point about the keys was.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 8th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    treboeth
    Think itís just pedantics at this stage...
    Did you mean semantics

It works either way though
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Comms69
    I don't know what your point about the keys was.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Just that typically if the keys are not evidence in a crime, they would be returned upon release.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Just that typically if the keys are not evidence in a crime, they would be returned upon release.
    As I said they more than likely went with the car.

Another reason that may have been retained is he was handed over to the next shift to deal with and the arresting officer wasn't on when he was released.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 10:50 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    Comms69
    As I said they more than likely went with the car.

Another reason that may have been retained is he was handed over to the next shift to deal with and the arresting officer wasn't on when he was released.
    Agreed. Not suggesting anything nefarious.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Aug 18, 10:59 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Agreed. Not suggesting anything nefarious.
    Or maybe they did do it to !!!! him off.

The only thing that's certain is we haven't been give the fully story or truth.
    • stator
    • By stator 9th Aug 18, 12:38 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 4,410 Thanks
    stator
    This board is full of people who think theyr're bloody poirot
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 2,750 Thanks
    Stoke
    Originally posted by stator
    I don't think I'm poirot, I just don't fancy the OP's chances of suing the police.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 9th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    wgl2014
    "Unless you are good at guessing, it is not much use being a detective."
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 9th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    k3lvc
    And OP's who start a cryptic post and never return
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    And OP's who start a cryptic post and never return
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    Perhaps OP has been, er...unavoidably detained?
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 9th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Perhaps OP has been, er...unavoidably detained?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    But he's been found Not Guilty (allegedly)
    • stator
    • By stator 9th Aug 18, 5:48 PM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 4,410 Thanks
    stator
    Perhaps they are put off by all the people calling them a liar.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    westernpromise
    The OP may have a case for wrongful arrest.

Basically the Babylon can nick you if they've got a warrant, or they reasonably believe you're about to commit an arrestable crime, or if they reasonably believe you've been involved in one, or if the crime isn't arrestable but, if they don't nick you, they won't be able to later because they dunno who you are.

To make a claim of wrongful arrest stick, you'd need to show that Plod had no reasonable basis for believing any of that, and / or that arresting you was anyway unnecessary (eg because you'd have voluntarily accompanied them to the cop shop).

If the OP could show that, or that he wasn't correctly treated after being arrested, he might be entitled to compo not limited to refund of his £150.

However, if he's what the Sweeney would call "a face on the manor" and he's previously been done for crimes similar to those the rozzers were investigating, then the pigs are quite a long way towards showing that the belief was reasonable.

If the OP is still with us an ambulance-chasing no win no fee lawyer might the best first port of call.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    The OP may have a case for wrongful arrest.

Basically the Babylon can nick you if they've got a warrant, or they reasonably believe you're about to commit an arrestable crime, or if they reasonably believe you've been involved in one, or if the crime isn't arrestable but, if they don't nick you, they won't be able to later because they dunno who you are.

To make a claim of wrongful arrest stick, you'd need to show that Plod had no reasonable basis for believing any of that, and / or that arresting you was anyway unnecessary (eg because you'd have voluntarily accompanied them to the cop shop).

If the OP could show that, or that he wasn't correctly treated after being arrested, he might be entitled to compo not limited to refund of his £150.

However, if he's what the Sweeney would call "a face on the manor" and he's previously been done for crimes similar to those the rozzers were investigating, then the pigs are quite a long way towards showing that the belief was reasonable.

If the OP is still with us an ambulance-chasing no win no fee lawyer might the best first port of call.
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    This is the reason you shouldn't accept advice online.

Arrestable offences haven't existed for over a decade, they just need a statutory reason to arrest.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    westernpromise
    This is the reason you shouldn't accept advice online.

Arrestable offences haven't existed for over a decade, they just need a statutory reason to arrest.
    Advice still applies to this instance though.
    https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/news/civil-liberties/what-is-wrongful-arrest/
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 1,516 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    Just because it's online doesn't mean it's correct.

They're about as wrong as you are only they have better grammar.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

8,329Users online

Martin's Twitter