Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TomTom19998
    • By TomTom19998 7th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TomTom19998
    Planning permission - Effective objection
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    Planning permission - Effective objection 7th Aug 18 at 10:28 PM
    Good evening,

I am having a bit of a time of it with my home at the moment and local planning applications. I live a few doors down from a retail unit (A1) which has for about 30 years been a carpet store. This week someone has taken the rent of it over and is applying to make it an office space (B1) the issue with that is they are looking to place around 50 desks in a unit which previously was the carpet store and storage so in total about 4 staff.

Our street is already very busy with cars during the day as it has a school on it, another office and around 60 houses of and one side of the street is double yellow lines to allow fire trucks through.

We have already objected as have another 15 houses on the street for quite a few reasons including the impact on privacy by the increase in people, over development of the space, noise, and the big one being highway safety concerns as they will be adding around a potential 45 cars each day to our street, then visitors and its around 20 meters from a primary school.

The applicant for planning permission has responded to the planner that they have 14 parking spaces on the site. This is where it gets a bit confusing and where I am looking for some advice. The land and buildings consist of a large forecourt area which is conservation land, i.e it is part of a local conservation area then the buildings are right at the back of the land. It currently has 6 spaces on it outlined for parking, white lines etc. In the planning documents it suggests there is already 14 parking spots. If those parking spots aren't outlined and genuinely aren't currently used for parking can the applicant suggest in their application that they are parking purely by the fact their is space to fit a car in it? If not would they require planning permission to change it to parking given that it is a conservation area?

Lastly the spaces on the planning permission which has 8 spots that don't currently exist actually line up against a neighboring properties wall around 5 ft up on that wall is a window, at ground height are two electricity meter boxes, and there is a further window higher up the wall.

Can we object to them being considered parking spots given that there is a need for access to those electricity boxes and also the fact that a running car below two windows would pollute the residences (They are flats) and lastly that the building those cars would be backing onto or facing (Depending upon how you park them) is a building under conservation so any smog coming out the back of a car would be staining the building (of course if reversed in)

As you can see we are looking for every possible way to object to this change of use so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help!
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 10:51 PM
    • 26,130 Posts
    • 70,563 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:51 PM
    This is a duplicate thread and doesn't belong on this board.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5879007
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • TomTom19998
    • By TomTom19998 7th Aug 18, 10:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TomTom19998
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:52 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:52 PM
    Hi Dozer is there a more appropriate board? It was suggested I should move it here.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 11:20 PM
    • 26,130 Posts
    • 70,563 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:20 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:20 PM
    Where you were in the first place.

There are some building related professionals over there - some are on this board too, but some aren't.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 8th Aug 18, 3:44 PM
    • 11,276 Posts
    • 9,645 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:44 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:44 PM
    Do a little bit of thinking outside the box!

There are plenty of offices where there are far, far fewer parking spaces than employees, I've worked in a few myself! Also some councils now restrict the number of parking spaces for new office developments, trying to persuade office workers to walk, cycle or use public transport or be forced to use expensive council run car parks.

If pp is refused and it is uneconomic or pointless to drastically reduce the number of desks, what will happen to the building? Many redundant commercial buildings are often either demolished and replaced by high density apartments or if suitable converted into equally high density apartments. You are not going to get a new user where there are only 4 people.

this post has been repeated on your other thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,341Posts Today

8,233Users online

Martin's Twitter