Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kellou
    • By Kellou 7th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Kellou
    Home made door
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    Home made door 7th Aug 18 at 9:53 PM
    Hi hoping someone can give me a little advice. Iíve made a door for my under the stairs cub board due not being able to find one in the size I need and not being able to have one made professionally lol. For the door front Iíve cheated and used 3.5 my plywood it was cheap but also light enough to carry home so the door is finished and hangs really well however I really want to paint it as the wood look doesnít look great in the front room and thatís where I need help Iím not sure where I should even start Iíve got a ton of white gloss can I just put that straight on I donít want to ruin it and I certainly donít want to se the wood come through any suggestions please would be very helpful. Wish I could show you a picture as Iím very proud Iíve made it lol
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:04 PM
    If the wood is rough, then it will need sanding first.

I would start with a coat of wood primer/undercoat first, then the gloss - one or two coats as required.

Don't try to put water-based gloss over oil-based primer. It won't stick. Keep to all water based or all oil based.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Kellou
    • By Kellou 7th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kellou
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    Ok great Thankyou hopefully I!!!8217;ll be able to let you know how it goes many thanks
    • that
    • By that 7th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    that
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    last time i used white gloss it yellowed. Yellowed badly in less than 6 months. this is still apparently is still a problem. Go for satin.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 8th Aug 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:32 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:32 AM
    Agree that oil based gloss will usually yellow over time, but having also made a similar door, I found it difficult to get a smooth finish on such a large flat surface with satin paint, or even water based gloss.
    It may take a bit of experimenting with your technique, but a gloss roller might work best for the final coat
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 25,324 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    We found somebody to make an understairs cupboard door out of mdf. I painted it with a couple of coats of the same light coloured vinyl emulsion as is on the walls in the hall. Worked absolutely fine. We don't have kids though so it doesn't get bashed about. I rollered it.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 8th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 2,438 Posts
    • 25,401 Thanks
    jk0
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    When I roll on Dulux gloss, I find the surface gets lots of bubbles, so I run over it with the brush afterwards.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 8th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    Prime it first then stick a water-based satin over it. Apply (thin coats) with a roller and you'll get a nicer finish
    • that
    • By that 8th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    that
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    If you are having trouble making the odd shaped door, tape a few flattened cardboard boxes together.
    Get one person to climb in the hole with a marker and a light. Get another person to hold your diy cardboad sheet flush against the hole. The person inside then can mark the outline of the door to be cut out as a template
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin