Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ada.ralu
    • By ada.ralu 7th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ada.ralu
    Mortgage as self employmed
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    Mortgage as self employmed 7th Aug 18 at 7:53 PM
    Hi everyone. I wonder if you can help......
    -we are applying for a mortgage and my hubby is self employed. He works as a driving instructor for X company. He doesnít have a business account as he never needed one. He fills in his tax returns so no accountat. The car he uses for his driving lessons is on a finance in my name. The amount he pays monthly is beeing deducted from his gross income. However the lender doesnít want to accept that because hubby doesnt have an accountat and the direct debit for the car comes out from our joint account. Any advice how i could prove that heís actually paying for that car from his gross income? The lender wants to use that loan as a family expens. Thanks
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 7th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 17,655 Posts
    • 9,447 Thanks
    ACG
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    Have you asked the lender what they will accept?
    If they will not accept anything, then a new lender is needed.

You could maybe provide a copy of the self assessment or you could pay an accountant to verify your submission and write a letter to confirm as much - but that will take longer and cost.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ada.ralu
    • By ada.ralu 7th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ada.ralu
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    The mortgage advisor said it has to be used in the affordability calculation because it is on my name and not on the company name or hubby!!!8217;s name and it!!!8217;s not being paid for from a business account. Because he actually works for someone else in a self employed basis he never needed a business account. He!!!8217;ll have to get in touch with hmrc and maybe ask for a copy of the self assessment as the detailed calculation can!!!8217;t be seen on the sa302
    • ACG
    • By ACG 7th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 17,655 Posts
    • 9,447 Thanks
    ACG
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    Is it a Mortgage Advisor who works for the bank or a Whole of Market/Independent Mortgage Advisor?

You need to find out what the bank will accept. There is no point requesting paperwork that may not be acceptable. You are just wasting time.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ada.ralu
    • By ada.ralu 7th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ada.ralu
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    It!!!8217;s a mortgage advisor who works for the bank. From what she said nothing is acceptable.
    I!!!8217;ve suggested so many things and I!!!8217;ve explained and showed that the car is being used for his work but because the dd is not coming out from his business account(he doesn!!!8217;t have one) and I can!!!8217;t show on the sa302 that!!!8217;s being deducted from his gross income they won!!!8217;t accept it. That!!!8217;s why might be a good idea to get a copy of the actual self assessment where se detailed expenses are showed
    • Catsacor
    • By Catsacor 8th Aug 18, 6:26 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Catsacor
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:26 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:26 AM
    So you're using a mortgage adviser via your bank ?
    Go elsewhere.

Using your banks Mortgage Adviser limits you greatly, find another adviser who can look at all deals available from all areas - not just the ones your bank is selling.
    This is a big purchase so go to someone who has the most extensive knowledge.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 17,655 Posts
    • 9,447 Thanks
    ACG
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:01 AM
    If the advisor at the bank has said nothing is acceptable, then you are just wasting time trying to force the case through with them. It does seem odd, but if that is their stance then you need to cut your losses and find a new lender or use a proper Mortgage broker.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    • Mortgage_Adviser
    • By Mortgage_Adviser 8th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Mortgage_Adviser
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    Unfortunately what you are doing (The business outgoing is not in the business name) is going to byte you greatly.
    I am not an expert in accountancy by any means but I am not even sure what you are doing is legal. If the car was bought in your name it is your outgoing so technicall he is paying money for leasing it from you.

Are you declaring anywhere the money he pays you? Are you showing it on your tax return as an income?
    • butterflybook
    • By butterflybook 8th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    butterflybook
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:11 AM
    you need a broker for this one
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,194Posts Today

7,978Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Are you overdrawn, if so typically by how much just before you're paid? (sorry for a 2nd poll in a day, but it'll? https://t.co/RwDJ6ZkYQw

• With 8,000 votes, so far Remainers are 86%-14% for a 'people's vote' if there's no deal. Leavers are 63% to 37% a? https://t.co/MspLuPNAo7

• Two Benylin cold & flu packs, in the chemist just now. One for mucus coughs, one chesty. Yet look just above the ba? https://t.co/OtLJrNrJyW

• Follow Martin