Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NHorse
    • By NHorse 7th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NHorse
    Selling house
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    Selling house 7th Aug 18 at 7:46 PM
    Hi,
    Iím looking for some advice. I am currently selling my house and in the fittings and contents list I stated that I was going to take the living room door for my new house (I replaced the door when I moved in-I wanted a nicer looking door and it therefore was more costly than a basic door) Is it a legal requirement for me to replace this door for the new buyers? Please note the only other doors downstairs are the front door and a conservatory door. There is no door on the kitchen. Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 25,573 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:59 PM
    If the door was missing when people viewed, that's one thing, but I see can buyers being a bit annoyed with you taking a door just because you want it!

Unless they're planning to replace the doors anyway, I'd expect come back from that!

Why do you want the door? Does it actually fit in the new house?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 7th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    How much was the door? £80? Fitting costs? Surely your chippy had to trim and fit the door properly? The chances of it fitting your new house are slim. For the miniscule percentage of the price you are selling your house for, is it really worth taking an internal door with you?

Just buy a new one and have that fitted.

Edited to say, not sure if this is another troll. I have noticed on this forum lately (last 3 months) that there a dozens of new people signing up to ask the most trivial house related questions.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 10,148 Posts
    • 11,424 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    I see multiple issues with this ;

1. Your potential purchasers will think you are strange and may just walk, who knows what other off-the-wall things you'll come up with if you think this is normal?
    2. As said, will it fit the new house?
    3. If its solid oak, worth hundreds of pounds, or has sentimental value, or for whatever other strange reason you really must keep it, replace it now before viewings with a standard B&Q £25 door.

Oh, I see you already stated this. hmmm. OK Id be really worried if i was the purchaser and think you might be one of those types that replaces all the light fittings and pulls up the carpets. A bit too late to ask here really.
    Perhaps just state this was a mistake, and update the form to say you will leave it.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 44,973 Posts
    • 53,589 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    If you remove or replace the door, this must be made clear to the buyers, who must agree to it.

The obvious assumption of any buyer is that the structure of the house, and basic fittings that they see when viewing, will be part of their purchase.

If I was the buyer and you said you were going to remove the door, I'd insist you not only replace it with a door of a specified standard AND compensate me with a reduction in price.

I would also be highly suspicious of what else you might take and would go through the forms with a fine toothcomb, adding every last thing onto it to avoid doubt.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 8th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:58 AM
    If I were your buyer I would think you were either a bit odd, or did your grandfather hand make the door for you? If the buyers viewed with an oak door they will expect one, you can't replace with a cheap pine wickes version. If the door is a painted panel they probably wouldn't notice if it's replaced. When I left my last house I replaced the finials on the curtain rail in the bedroom with similar ones because they matched the hand made iron bed
    • loveka
    • By loveka 8th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    loveka
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    I told my buyer I was taking the sink. I replaced it with a very similar sink.

This is what you need to do with your door. Of course you replace it!
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 8th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 2,440 Posts
    • 1,353 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    Hi,
    Iím looking for some advice. I am currently selling my house and in the fittings and contents list I stated that I was going to take the living room door for my new house (I replaced the door when I moved in-I wanted a nicer looking door and it therefore was more costly than a basic door) Is it a legal requirement for me to replace this door for the new buyers? Please note the only other doors downstairs are the front door and a conservatory door. There is no door on the kitchen. Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks
    Originally posted by NHorse
    Go on - how much was just the door on its own?
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 8th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    Remind me when it is the schools go back?
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 44,973 Posts
    • 53,589 Thanks
    G_M
    Remind me when it is the schools go back?
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    I'm afraid the kids will be around a bit longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin