Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 7th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,777Posts
    • 1,646Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Canít afford to travel to hospital appointments
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    Canít afford to travel to hospital appointments 7th Aug 18 at 7:15 PM
    Iím unable to walk very far lately and at times, cannot walk at all. The doctors are still trying to work out what the problem is. I still have a lot more tests to go through. Problem is, I live in a very rural area. There is no public transport at all. Even if there was, I would be unable to use it. I have no family or friends who can drive me to all these appointments.

A taxi to the hospital would cost about £75 each way. I could never afford even one appointment at that price. There is a rural transport service but they donít go out of the local area so they canít help. Does anyone know what I can do? Iím getting desperate and I really need to get to these appointments.
Page 2
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    If you were really stuck, would you be willing to ask charities whether they were christian, buddhist or muslim?
    Or would you decide in advance that they are not going to help you, so you'd lose the use of your legs?

See a pretty clear choice to me. I'd be willing to go with the monster raving looning party if it was my health.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Well, some people think a bit more deeply than that. I wouldn't just go asking anybody for lifts, and in my case it'd be useless anyway, as I get car sick
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 8th Aug 18, 3:21 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    Well, some people think a bit more deeply than that. I wouldn't just go asking anybody for lifts, and in my case it'd be useless anyway, as I get car sick
    Originally posted by fibonarchie

Finding out why you're losing the ability to walk is the priority and is what should be thought deeply about.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Finding out why you're losing the ability to walk is the priority and is what should be thought deeply about.
    Originally posted by NCC-1701
    Well hopefully the NHS will do their duty and sort her/him out with some transport so that it's not necessary to go to random religious nutters organisations to beg for lifts to and from the appointments..
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Aug 18, 5:18 PM
    • 22,547 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Well, some people think a bit more deeply than that.
    What do you mean by deeply?

Thinking people won't help you because you are not the same religion is a presumption and also largely incorrect.

This is too important to make (incorrect) presumptions.

I think about things deeply and I'd have sickness insurance, savings (contingency), not live in the stix and have some quality friendships (the sort of people that don't abandon you when you are sick).

I wouldn't just go asking anybody
    I wouldn't ask just anybody either.
    I'd start with trusted family and friends and then go to people who are likely to be trustworthy like charities and the church.
    Other people are grown ups (my friends are anyway) and can say no without anyone being offended. I don't know anyone that would be offended by being asked if they could give a lift in this situation.

I would be a bit inventive and if one person couldn't give me a lift due to child care reasons I'd see if another friend or family member could offer child care, but the OP seems completely helpless to the extent that it appears to be a wind-up.

I'd suggest others take heed and do some sensible financial planning and get some savings especially if you live in the stix and have no family or friends that care about you.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 08-08-2018 at 5:28 PM.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 6:44 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I would be a bit inventive and if one person couldn't give me a lift due to child care reasons I'd see if another friend or family member could offer child care, but the OP seems completely helpless to the extent that it appears to be a wind-up.

I'd suggest others take heed and do some sensible financial planning and get some savings especially if you live in the stix and have no family or friends that care about you.

You see, anyone can sit there typing about what an exemplary saver they are and how well they themselves would manage in a situation like that, but that's not helping the OP, is it.

He/she has said they have ASD, mental health problems and now they're immobilised too.

So it's time for the NHS to step in, and get them some transport so that they can get the help they need.

Next step, OP, should be your GP. Do let us know how you get on
    • asajj
    • By asajj 8th Aug 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,372 Posts
    • 11,724 Thanks
    asajj
    What do you mean by deeply?

Thinking people won't help you because you are not the same religion is a presumption and also largely incorrect.

This is too important to make (incorrect) presumptions.

I think about things deeply and I'd have sickness insurance, savings (contingency), not live in the stix and have some quality friendships (the sort of people that don't abandon you when you are sick).

I wouldn't ask just anybody either.
    I'd start with trusted family and friends and then go to people who are likely to be trustworthy like charities and the church.
    Other people are grown ups (my friends are anyway) and can say no without anyone being offended. I don't know anyone that would be offended by being asked if they could give a lift in this situation.

Jeez, can you stop lecturing?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Aug 18, 9:34 PM
    • 39,058 Posts
    • 35,946 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    When you're unwell, it can be hard to think 'outside the box', and also with ASD it can be hard to think 'outside the box'. I don't think it's fair to suggest that the OP is somehow wrong to live 'out in the sticks', because obviously s/he wasn't so unwell when they moved there. That might be something to consider for the future, but what the OP has to deal with NOW is what they have to deal with NOW.

I do feel that the OP is perhaps boxing themselves in with their understanding of whether or not patient transport excludes those who COULD travel by taxi, if they could afford it. I wouldn't consider a taxi to be public transport.

And while I can understand the reluctance to approach the local church, I wouldn't rule it out just because you don't attend.

I'm sure there should be an equivalent of PALS, and I wonder if it is the Patient and Client Councils?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 8th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 12,538 Posts
    • 11,729 Thanks
    jenniewb
    OP, sorry if this has been suggested- I've had a quick scan through at all the previous replies and can't see anything.

Have you tried your local authority/local council? They should have a social service department and if they can't help you they may have a list of relative agencies that could offer this sort of service.

Also- though it may be very controversial to suggest, you speak to the service in question about offering to help with expenses. They may well have a limit on how much they can afford to help with but it's not beyond reason for them to offer to refund costs assuming you have receipt and so on. I've known of some who have regular appointments who would not otherwise be able to attend that have their travel fares refunded, it usually relies on having evidence of a low income (and again, you'd need to check their threshold on that) but it does happen. Speak to the consultant secretary who should have more information on this, if not your own GP or whomever referred you would know.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 8th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,183 Posts
    • 2,284 Thanks
    baza52
    OP, if you have a car you can no longer drive could you sell it to raise some funds? If its a mobility car can you return it so you get to keep the mobility payment?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Aug 18, 12:49 AM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    suki1964
    Ripply, where about in NI are you?

I know one of our local community centres have volunteer drivers for getting people in the same boat as you to their appointments down in Belfast, a friend of mine was one of the drivers. And if that community centre ( cross community ) does, there are others

Also the Salvation Army can help and I think the Red Cross

If you were near me and it was a day I didn't work Id take you
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 9th Aug 18, 7:46 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Ripply, where about in NI are you?
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Iím in South Down. Iím right on the boundary between two different council areas which is why the community transport scheme is a problem because they wonít go out of their own area.

Thank you for saying you would take me Suki, but I know you are far up north compared to me.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 9,154 Posts
    • 6,862 Thanks
    pmduk
    The RVS (was WRVS) often has voluntary driver schemes, have you tried them?
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 9th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 11,390 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I would phone around a few taxi firms...where I live some taxi firms have a set charge to a hospital, rather than a mileage fee.

Look for some sort of volunteer driver system (ask at the local library for example, they often have these details) ...we have a good network of local people who take people for a very reasonable fee.

Ask at your GP surgery what transport help is available.

(And by 'ask', in my case it means get someone else to ask for me!...I have ASD and do not communicate well with others....but as I have other conditions that necessitate regular hospital trips, I work around this to get the help I need to travel there and back!)
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 9th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 22,547 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    lisyloo
    but that's not helping the OP
    It may help others, so they don't get themselves into this situation by planning for what is forseeable. These boards are for everyone to learn from. If the OP wants private advice they should go somewhere private.

Jeez, can you stop lecturing?
    Frankly no..
    It's lack of planning for the perfectly foreeseable that's got the OP into this sitaution and others can learn from that. This is what we are here to do to help others. If you call that lecturing then so be it.

Their attitude is also stopping them getting help and they need to be told that and change it.

Very poor to ask people to stop helping others (lecturing if you like), that's exactly what the boards are here for.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 9th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Frankly no..
    It's lack of planning for the perfectly foreeseable that's got the OP into this sitaution and others can learn from that. This is what we are here to do to help others. If you call that lecturing then so be it.

Their attitude is also stopping them getting help and they need to be told that and change it.

Very poor to ask people to stop helping others (lecturing if you like), that's exactly what the boards are here for.

Just stop being so self-righteous. It's getting tedious and more to the point, you're not helping.

OP I suggest u do as I do, and just add them to 'ignore'..
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 9th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 6,368 Posts
    • 30,252 Thanks
    bugslet
    It may help others, so they don't get themselves into this situation by planning for what is forseeable. These boards are for everyone to learn from. If the OP wants private advice they should go somewhere private.

Frankly no..

lisy, we are a lot alike in some ways, I have to lots of illness insurance, I've overpaid my mortgage so I can take a break if I ever need to, I have access to money. I have no family, but I do have some quality friendships, though people have lives of their own. I live four miles from a small hospital and 15 miles from a major one.

However, I don't have MH issues like the OP, I'm not worrying about what is physically wrong with me. There are things s/he should have done, but s/he is where s/he is now and that is what needs to be dealt with. Sorry, you are coming over a bit lecturing.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 9th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    suejb2
    Hospital
    I don't know which hospital you attend, had a quick look and Belfast Health and social Care Trust have a Hospital Travel cost scheme. This trust covers Belfast Royal Victoria,Mater and Musgrave hospitals.

This may help www.nidirect.gov.uk and look for travel costs.
    Last edited by suejb2; 09-08-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Correct www.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 5,314 Posts
    • 3,976 Thanks
    sheramber
    contact the Patient Client Council.

http://www.patientclientcouncil.hscni.net/uploads/files/Complaints,_Suggestions_or_Compliments1.pdf

They may be able to offer advice.

There must be others who live rurally with the same problem
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    suki1964
    Iím in South Down. Iím right on the boundary between two different council areas which is why the community transport scheme is a problem because they wonít go out of their own area.

Thank you for saying you would take me Suki, but I know you are far up north compared to me.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Yes Im North Antrim, The Causeway area

I found this Number for community transport, give them a ring, they may be able to help or at least pass you on to someone who can
    0845 650 1190
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Aug 18, 5:25 PM
    • 11,345 Posts
    • 30,379 Thanks
    suki1964
    contact the Patient Client Council.

http://www.patientclientcouncil.hscni.net/uploads/files/Complaints,_Suggestions_or_Compliments1.pdf

They may be able to offer advice.

There must be others who live rurally with the same problem
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Theres hundreds of us in the same situation

60%of the population of NI live in rural areas

Most of those areas have lost their local bus services

My hospital is 17 miles away and I can not get to it by public transport, without a 4 mile walk first

Id have to walk to the nearest town, get a bus to the town past the hospital, and then sit and wait on the bus that serves the hospital. With buses from my nearest town only every four hours - its a day trip

We did have a local country bus service until 3 years ago. Having a bus service was the reason I chose to live where I do. It was a well used service , no reason to think it would be scrapped but it was

Trains do not cover the whole of NI, it can be that the OP has to travel 20 miles to a train station

Its not for nothing there are car share carparks at all major road junctions, if you don't have use of a car you really are !!!!!!ed for getting about
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

4,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin