Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Paddy99
    • By Paddy99 7th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Claiming mileage
    • #1
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    Claiming mileage 7th Aug 18 at 6:22 PM
    I used to do this in the past but not done if for many years. I understand it's still possible to claim back mileage expenses up to the rate of 45p from HMRC. Is this done annually and I can't remember if it's refunded in the form of a cheque or your tax code is amended. Also is this possible if a car is available it you choose to use your own or if the company pays a small contribution.
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 7th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 3,290 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • #2
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    Probably better to post this on the Cutting Tax forum rather than the Benefits board.

    FWIW - My understanding is that it is still possible to claim tax relief on the difference between your employers mileage allowance rate (if less than 45p per mile) and the 45p HMRC rate from HMRC, providing you are using your personal car for business use.
    You apply to HMRC on Form P87. You will need to keep detailed records

    If you google a few key words I'm sure you will find definitive information to answer your question.
    I assume you are not self-employed?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 07-08-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 7th Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3,862 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • #3
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    You cannot claim mileage from HMRC.

    And you cannot claim the difference between 45p and whatever your employer (assuming employed) pays you from HMRC.

    You may be able to claim tax relief on the mileage (or difference) but that is significantly different in terms of the money involved.

    For example

    5,000 qualifying business miles
    Expenses claimed 5,000 x 45p = 2,250
    Less reimbursed by employer 1,500
    Allowable expense 750

    This 750 will save you most people around 150 (basic rate payer) or 300 (higher rate payer) but it could save nothing if on low income or as much as 345 if you have very high income and are Scottish resident for tax purposes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,614Posts Today

7,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v?

  • If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi?

  • Follow Martin