Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shed78
    • By Shed78 7th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shed78
    Leasehold Insurance on a Flat
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    Leasehold Insurance on a Flat 7th Aug 18 at 6:08 PM
    Hi,

we own one of 3 flats in a conversion, "managed" by the same property management firm. Every year we get an insurance renewal bill for around 400 + (with a 19 admin fee).

All 3 flats have looked into organising our own insurance at a much cheaper rate but the management company have refused. Previously they have said that because our quotes don't include insurance for acts of terrorism then they can't accept it! We're not exactly a prime ISIS target!

Question is, are they allowed to hold us to ransom over this or are we legally entitled to shop around for our own insurance?
    All 3 flats are in the process of forming a company in order to buy the freehold soon.

Any help appreciated.
Page 1
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 7th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:40 PM
    Check your lease, it may stipulate who has the right to insure the building. But most likely it's the freeholder.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    • 6,712 Posts
    • 6,589 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    Assuming your lease says the freeholder (or their managing agent) is responsible for insuring...

The law says that the freeholder's charge for insurance must be 'reasonable'. So if you can get 2 or 3 quotes for 'Freeholder's Insurance' which are considerably cheaper, that might be good evidence that the charge isn't 'reasonable'.

You could then challenge the charge at a tribunal.

Regarding terrorist insurance... I think there was a tribunal case where it was decided that having terrorist insurance was 'reasonable'.

An example that's often used to justify terrorist insurance:

If the leases allow subletting, a leaseholder might unknowingly let their flat to somebody who is a terrorist, who uses the flat to make bombs. And there is an unintentional explosion in the flat.
    Last edited by eddddy; 08-08-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

366Posts Today

4,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin