Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 7th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 90Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    0 WOW
    Discuss the Driving in Europe guide
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    0 WOW
    Discuss the Driving in Europe guide 7th Aug 18 at 5:45 PM

Hello there,

We've written a new guide to Driving in Europe and would love your feedback on it.

Please let us know if you find it helpful, what improvements we could make and if there are any other tips you think we should add.

Thanks for your help!

MSE Kelvin
    Last edited by MSE Kelvin; 08-08-2018 at 4:12 PM. Reason: Amending link error.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
    • Felix49
    • By Felix49 9th Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Felix49
    The advice to remove headlight converters on return to the UK is at best unnecessary and at worst a con (i.e. by the retailers of converters, which aren't that cheap if you make several trips a year buying new ones each time). I've left converters on my car for at least the past 3 years, covering several trips a year to Europe. The effect of the converters is simply to cut out glare from the segment of headlight designed to illuminate road signs on the left in the UK. To be honest I've never really noticed the loss of that feature when driving with converters in the UK. Importantly the existence of converters on headlights in the UK doesn't affect passing the MoT. So my advice is to leave them on permanently and save money!
    • lovesgshp
    • By lovesgshp 12th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    lovesgshp
    Hope this amuses some of you. Most of it is very true as have seen it after 12 odd years here.

Written by a Italian ........ enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxqwXNfYmOQ
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 32,772 Posts
    • 20,641 Thanks
    DCFC79
    It used to be the case that petrol station forecourts that are next to the supermarket (like in the UK) aren't open as late like here, you may find some pumps are 24 hours but its a luck of the draw if your card is accepted. The fuel from the supermarkets used to be cheaper so Id always use them.
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 12th Sep 18, 12:08 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Morbier
    Another tip for driving through tolls in France, that we have found useful:

Buy a Sanef tag before you travel, to get you straight through the tolls. Available from saneftolling.co.uk
    You give them your bank details and they deduct an annual fee (under a tenner) and then automatically deduct the individual charge every time you go through a toll. Queues are shorter and you go straight through. They send you the tag to attach to your windscreen so it can be detected as you approach the toll and activate the barrier.

Saves having to faff about with that forrin money or plastic.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese (Nigel Slater)
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 12th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    Beenie
    the problem with a sanef tag is that the tolls are in euro, but your deductions from your UK bank account are in pounds sterling.....and you have no control over the currency conversion rate. Sanef UK use an unfavourable rate, so not only are you paying an annual fee but you are actually paying over-the-odds to use the French tolls.

Driving up to the tolls, getting out the trusty plastic Halifax Clarity card, it's all over in seconds and away you go. We've never been held up that long at tolls that we would prefer to use a toll tag, and we drive a lot in France.
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 12th Sep 18, 3:08 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Morbier
    Obviously a matter of preference. Yes, I agree, the exchange rates aren't the best, but it's the convenience we go for !
    I can't imagine a life without cheese (Nigel Slater)
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Sep 18, 7:22 PM
    • 13,461 Posts
    • 11,430 Thanks
    zagfles
    I suggest adding a section giving the main differences in road rules, or add them to the country specific section.

For instance:

• Town signs serving as speed limits in some countries
    • Turning traffic has to give way to pedestrians in most countries
    • Priority to the right/yellow diamond rules
    • High occupancy vehicle lanes, how they're marked and who can use them
    • Headlight rules - some countries require them on in the day
    • Alcohol limits - most of Europe is about half our limit, some countries a quarter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,383Users online

Martin's Twitter