Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 7th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 72Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    What are the cheapest alternatives to disposable plastic straws?
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    What are the cheapest alternatives to disposable plastic straws? 7th Aug 18 at 4:59 PM
    Disposable plastic straws could soon be banned in England in an effort to try to cut down on the amount of plastic we throw away. Yet for all sorts of reasons, many of us like (and even need) to use some form of straw - whether due to disability or simply wanting to protect our teeth.

Read the full blog: Plastic straws could be banned so what are the cheapest alternatives?
    Last edited by MSE Sarah; 07-08-2018 at 5:40 PM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 7th Aug 18, 5:51 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 11,797 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:51 PM
    You can buy a set of 8, 2 small (215mm) straight, 2 large straight, 2 small bent and 2 long (265mm) bent with 2 cleaning brushes for 9.99 on Amazon (yes I know that is controversial in it's own right) but you can buy them for simular prices in other places.
    Bamboo is another option, 14 20cm straws with 2 cleaning brushes for 9.99 Amazon. Again can buy same kind of price in other places.

I know they are plastic but for home we have cups with inbuilt straw. Saves on straws at home and as they are plastic they weigh less for me than a glass as sometimes my disability means I drop things, especially when they are heavier.
    29 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 7th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    • 12,768 Posts
    • 11,470 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:45 PM
    Drinking straight from the cup is free...
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 7th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 4,118 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:47 PM
    Can you not still find waxed paper straws ?
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 8th Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 4,118 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:20 AM
    Can you not still find waxed paper straws ?
    Originally posted by EricMears
    To answer my own question, Amazon sell 150 paper straws for 2.50. Not the sort of thing I ever buy so no idea whether that's a good price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinking-Rainbow-Everyday-Wedding-Celebration/dp/B01JS212RK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533715997&sr=8-5&keywords=waxed+paper+straws
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 11,797 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    If I take the above so 4 packs is equivalent to the examples of cost for reusable I had. That gives 600 staws. Not even 2 years worth for everyday use for one person. Yet two people could easily share the reusable examples I gave; metal would have 1 of each of the straw types and a cleaning brush each, while for bamboo they would have a straw for each day each and a cleaning brush each. So in that scenario for two people it won't even be a year of straw use for one use paper.
    You will get many years out of each reusable straw. Paper staws still use resorces and from trees that take a long time to grow. Yes it's more sustainable and less damaging than plastic but one use is still bad.

So the metal and bamboo options are better cost wise. That and they only have to be produced less and are less damaging.
    Certainly bamboo is good as it is a when they grow they aid the environment in air quality, it is rather fast growing (1-5 years depending on it's use) so more sustainable, little waste when made into things, no chemicals are needed to grow it, it protects soil etc. That and if the item breaks beyond repair it is completely biodegradable to boot.
    29 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 8th Aug 18, 8:27 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:27 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:27 PM
    Reusable straws, even as a kid I had a plastic resuable one and I am sure my mom still has it!
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 21st Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 3,202 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 21st Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 21st Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    Silicone reusable straws. The outlay may seem expensive but they will last so long as silicone lasts - who knows, but I've used mine regularly and put them in the dishwasher to clean them. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Silicone-Straws-BPA-Free/dp/B07586KPKV/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1534874649&sr=1-5&keywords=reusable+silicone+straws
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

700Posts Today

6,769Users online

Martin's Twitter