Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • London2018
    • By London2018 7th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 8Thanks
    London2018
    Damaged sewage pipes- Anglian Waters responsibility?!
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:44 PM
    Damaged sewage pipes- Anglian Waters responsibility?! 7th Aug 18 at 4:44 PM
    Hi all,

We are currently in the process of buying a house. The mortgage company, when conducting the survey/valuation, picked up on possible movement on the property. Therefore, they wouldn't release the offer, until a structural engineer looked into it further. Luckily, the seller has been very easy to deal with, and instructed a structural survey straight away. The report recommended a CCTV drain survey was conducted, as they felt it could be leaking sewage pipes that had caused the movement. The CCTV drain report came back today, stating that yes, the sewage pipes at the front of the house are damaged and leaking. They have said this is Anglian Water's responsibly. The seller will now contact them!
    My question is, has anyone had a similar issue, and how obliging/quick are Anglian Water in carrying out the work? Thanks!
Page 1
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 7th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:07 PM
    If the pipes are on the sellers property it's their problem, not Anglian Water's unfortunately. It's a common problem with old clay drainage pipes.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 61,349 Posts
    • 54,601 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    Your vendor is the one to answer your question. One of those how long is a piece of string scenarios. This job is unlikely to be highest priority.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 7th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    If the pipes are on the sellers property it's their problem, not Anglian Water's unfortunately. It's a common problem with old clay drainage pipes.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30

I believe that depends on whether the drain services only that house; if it also services neighbouring properties then it should be the water company's problem.

They changed the legislation a few years ago.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 26,130 Posts
    • 70,561 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30
    Incorrect in many, perhaps most, circumstances.

Legislation in 2011 involved the water companies having to adopt all shared sewers. Before 2011, only shared sewers older than 1936 were their responsibility.

A drain stops being the responsibility of the homeowner and becomes that of the water company when:
    a) it meets with another building's waste, usually at an inspection chamber near the house
    OR
    b) the point it leaves the boundary to become shared eventually

For my house, it becomes Severn Trent's responsibility about 80cm outside my back door.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 07-08-2018 at 6:54 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    • 26,130 Posts
    • 70,561 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    Yes Doozergirl is correct if it's on your property the water co won't be interested in especially if it's shared as that involves even more work and they have no legal obligation to do so any longer

Best advice is to get a good builder or structural engineer to look at it and explain what needs to be done and factor that cost into your offer. It's too big a job for a vendor to start doing that just to make a sale in most cases

Anglia water in my personal experience are actually very good to deal with. You need to phone their developer/builder services and they'll explain it to you over the phone. You can even give them the address of the house in question and they'll confirm what's been said here.
    Originally posted by joshuajac
    No. You've completely misunderstood what I said!

The obligation has been given to them, not taken away!

The situation isn't the easiest to understand and I've added a few words just to be clearer, but it wasn't an ambiguous post.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 07-08-2018 at 6:56 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • London2018
    • By London2018 9th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    London2018
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    Thanks all- the surveyor who conducted the drain CCTV survey, stated that it would be Anglia Water's responsibility. The seller has contacted Anglia Water to see if this is the case. They sent someone out yesterday, but they arrived with the incorrect tools, typical! So we now expect them to re- visit the house next week, so more waiting around I suppose!
    In the meantime, our mortgage company have come back and requested a copy of the cctv drain survey, before issuing us a mortgage offer. I have a feeling they may not issue this offer, until we can say the damage to the pipes is/or has been fixed?.....
    • London2018
    • By London2018 20th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    London2018
    • 20th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 20th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    Just an update for anyone in a similar situation - Anglian Water accepted fault and have carried out the necessary works. They are also sending out a second engineer to inspect the manhole chamber as a secondary confirmation. They will confirm all the completed works in writing, which has given us a huge piece of mind!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,487Posts Today

7,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Many asking "what does leaving EU actually mean for me?" both with or without a no-deal. The MSE guide to Brexit t? https://t.co/ULimpQPlHp

• I'm very glad my poll today has caused such unity and consensus. It feels like a real moment of rapprochement in th? https://t.co/QVCzqsiVOi

• RT @CourtBasedPSU: This week we hit a major milestone. PSU volunteers have now provided support to Litigants in Person on 300,000 occasion?

• Follow Martin