Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bitofsteak
    • By Bitofsteak 7th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bitofsteak
    Providing Sanitary Items
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    Providing Sanitary Items 7th Aug 18 at 4:43 PM
    Hi,

I understand that by law UK business do not have to supply sanitary products but do have to provide bins. However in my place of work there are 2 floors and a ladies toilet on each floor, the ground floor toilet have a tampon/sanitary towel dispenser but the floor that I work on does not, only a sanitary bin. I suffer from very heavy menstrual bleeding and unfortunately nearly got caught short today work (I always have my own items in my handbag, but just got caught short today). I asked our senior office administrator to purchase some sanitary items for the bathroom who passed this onto our H.R lady, our H.R lady said no and that the dispenser in the ground floor toilet was sufficient.

We have many meetings in the building and the 1st floor bathroom is used regularly so the request is not only for me but for other women that work or arrive at our office. Our business supplies endless amounts of free beverages in various degrees of colour, smell and flavour (currently 14 different varieties of tea and 5 varieties of coffee), so why not a couple of sanitary towels or tampons? We also have a health and wellbeing group at our place of work which I am part of and the HR person is head of, but as of today I feel that this is a bit of an oxymoron!!

If any ladies,(or gents) have any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

Regards

Bitofsteak
Page 2
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 8th Aug 18, 8:54 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    engineer amy
    Would never dream of asking my company to provide these!
    In an office of 14 people, 12 of whom are female and under menopausal age, we would be spending more on sanitary products than on stationery!
    And I could imagine one or two people sticking a couple of freebies in their handbags as well.
    We have a separate ladies and gents bathroom, each with a undersink cupboard. Those who wish are welcome to store a packet of their preferred product in the cupboard for when they are caught short. Most will happily share if asked, and those who borrow usually do replace items at the next opportunity.
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 72330 Feb 18
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 8th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,920 Posts
    • 6,875 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    Hi,

I understand that by law UK business do not have to supply sanitary products but do have to provide bins. However in my place of work there are 2 floors and a ladies toilet on each floor, the ground floor toilet have a tampon/sanitary towel dispenser but the floor that I work on does not, only a sanitary bin. I suffer from very heavy menstrual bleeding and unfortunately nearly got caught short today work (I always have my own items in my handbag, but just got caught short today). I asked our senior office administrator to purchase some sanitary items for the bathroom who passed this onto our H.R lady, our H.R lady said no and that the dispenser in the ground floor toilet was sufficient.

We have many meetings in the building and the 1st floor bathroom is used regularly so the request is not only for me but for other women that work or arrive at our office. Our business supplies endless amounts of free beverages in various degrees of colour, smell and flavour (currently 14 different varieties of tea and 5 varieties of coffee), so why not a couple of sanitary towels or tampons? We also have a health and wellbeing group at our place of work which I am part of and the HR person is head of, but as of today I feel that this is a bit of an oxymoron!!

If any ladies,(or gents) have any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

Regards

Bitofsteak
    Originally posted by Bitofsteak
    So if you know you're caught short why not at the beginning of the day go buy one from the dispensor so you're ready?

Mountain....Molehill
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 11,456 Posts
    • 30,864 Thanks
    suki1964
    Good grief, ive been in the work place for 40 years and I have never worked anywhere where there have been dispensing machines in staff loos

Ive been responsible for supplying my own products since my first period as a school girl in the 70's. Back then if you were caught short ( as you were more likely be) you went to the school nurse and got a pad with two safety pins. You soon learned to carry your own at all times

You would hate where I work, don't even have a sanitary waste bin, its a mixed sex loo and it discharging into a septic tank, nothing other then loo paper can be flushed. We do as we do at home, bag up into a doggy poo bag and put in the general waste ( which in work is incinerated)
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • w06
    • By w06 8th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    I've never worked anywhere that had a dispenser much less provided items.

Personal responsibility

Every woman I know that needs them carries them and spares, and maybe spare underwear too, in their bag, and desk, and car

Personal responsibility
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 8th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    ceegee
    My thoughts.......I cannot believe you would even need to raise this as an issue. Carry a supply in your bag, keep a pack in your desk drawer/locker. If you have no drawer/locker, then get a bigger bag, or a second bag. It is your responsibility to look after your own bodily functions, not your employer's. Crikey, I haven't had a period for 15 years, but I still have a pack at home and still always(!) have some in my bag if I go out, just in case.....you never know!!
    "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........"
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 8th Aug 18, 3:24 PM
    • 4,816 Posts
    • 6,665 Thanks
    74jax
    Wife used to suffer before the boys came along and ive never seen her suffer like she did when she had the endometriosis,amazes me the amount of suffering a woman can endure.

Originally posted by Samsung_Note2

I seriously wouldn't wish it on anyone, and so I do understand the op's concerns, as they are mine too. But I wouldn't expect my company to provide these items for me.

Pleased your wife seems sorted now, although I don't' think I'll take the route of having another child to sort me out :-) I'm currently going through a voluntary menopause and that works 100%
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 9,540 Posts
    • 7,195 Thanks
    pmduk

Personal responsibility
    Originally posted by w06
    You'll need to explain that to some of the younger members, it's a foreign concept to many nowadays. NB, not necessarily the OP.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 9th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Can't believe this thread was ever started, never mind that it is still going strong!

So OP was caught short just once and wants a machine installed on the first floor as well as the ground floor. Two thoughts: many offices have ladies' and gents' loos on alternating floors, so having them on both floors would be seen as a luxury by many; and as you need to have cash with you to access a dispenser, how would that solve the 'problem' of being caught short - you are as likely to have no cash as to have no supplies, surely?
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 9th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    sitesafe
    Tranexamic acid tablets from your gp. I realise it's not about that but they are very good at reducing menstrual flow. Just a tip.
    • burnoutbabe
    • By burnoutbabe 19th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    burnoutbabe
    We actually did start providing a small basket for our 20 or so ladies, for emergencies use only. It would go down far quicker than one would expect for emergencies only (we shared loo's with another office) so now keep it in our office. Costs all of 2 or so per quarter to keep it stocked up with some Aldi essentials. And it helps someone in need.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 19th Aug 18, 8:11 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    I have about 6 handbags and all of them have at least one product in the inside pocket! Not only does this save me when caught short outside the house but also when I'm home and have run out and need one! I just raid my own secret stash and replace as soon as I can. I'd never expect an employer to provide this for me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,410Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter