Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bitofsteak
    • By Bitofsteak 7th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bitofsteak
    Providing Sanitary Items
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    Providing Sanitary Items 7th Aug 18 at 4:43 PM
    Hi,

I understand that by law UK business do not have to supply sanitary products but do have to provide bins. However in my place of work there are 2 floors and a ladies toilet on each floor, the ground floor toilet have a tampon/sanitary towel dispenser but the floor that I work on does not, only a sanitary bin. I suffer from very heavy menstrual bleeding and unfortunately nearly got caught short today work (I always have my own items in my handbag, but just got caught short today). I asked our senior office administrator to purchase some sanitary items for the bathroom who passed this onto our H.R lady, our H.R lady said no and that the dispenser in the ground floor toilet was sufficient.

We have many meetings in the building and the 1st floor bathroom is used regularly so the request is not only for me but for other women that work or arrive at our office. Our business supplies endless amounts of free beverages in various degrees of colour, smell and flavour (currently 14 different varieties of tea and 5 varieties of coffee), so why not a couple of sanitary towels or tampons? We also have a health and wellbeing group at our place of work which I am part of and the HR person is head of, but as of today I feel that this is a bit of an oxymoron!!

If any ladies,(or gents) have any thoughts on this I would be grateful.

Regards

Bitofsteak
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 14,460 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    Bit of tissue in the knickers and a quick nip to the downstairs loo - sorted.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Comms69
    Why not just buy and bring your own?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 9,405 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:01 PM
    You've answered your own question. They don't have to. Our thoughts on it are therefore irrelevant.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    As you seem to be the forgetful one could you not buy a supply and leave them in the toilet? I have never been provided with sanitary protection by an employer and to be honest, I visit lots of employers and sometimes use their facilities but only one has there been a wee basket with some supplies in it.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 7th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Dox
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    I visit lots of employers and sometimes use their facilities but only one has there been a wee basket
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    Wouldn't a basket leak if you wee in it?
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 7th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    • 8,059 Posts
    • 17,455 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    Hi,

I understand that by law UK business do not have to supply sanitary products but do have to provide bins. However in my place of work there are 2 floors and a ladies toilet on each floor, the ground floor toilet have a tampon/sanitary towel dispenser but the floor that I work on does not, only a sanitary bin. I suffer from very heavy menstrual bleeding and unfortunately nearly got caught short today work (I always have my own items in my handbag, but just got caught short today). I asked our senior office administrator to purchase some sanitary items for the bathroom who passed this onto our H.R lady, our H.R lady said no and that the dispenser in the ground floor toilet was sufficient.

We have many meetings in the building and the 1st floor bathroom is used regularly so the request is not only for me but for other women that work or arrive at our office. Our business supplies endless amounts of free beverages in various degrees of colour, smell and flavour (currently 14 different varieties of tea and 5 varieties of coffee), so why not a couple of sanitary towels or tampons? We also have a health and wellbeing group at our place of work which I am part of and the HR person is head of, but as of today I feel that this is a bit of an oxymoron!!

Regards

Bitofsteak
    Originally posted by Bitofsteak

I've never actually heard of an employer supplying sanitary items. As far as I am concerned, it is up to those who need them to provide them. I carry four individually wrapped towels in my bag at all times - that way, I'm never caught short.

Even on Brownie or Guide pack holidays, we ask parents to make sure that their daughters have supplies with them, in case they are needed. The leaders do have a supply for the girls, just in case, However, I would expect girls to have their own as requested.

As a grown woman, you are responsible for managing your bodily functions. If you know that there is a possibility of being caught short, then you should carry supplies. They don't take up much space in your bag, or possibly in your desk drawer. Why should your employer be responsible?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 39,058 Posts
    • 35,945 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    Well, you can raise it again at the wellbeing group, but honestly, I agree with the responses above. I don't know if there are costs associated with the dispenser, or if that's covered by purchases, but providing a basket (wee or otherwise) is definitely going to have a cost, and somebody's going to have to be responsible for keeping it supplied, and it's no help if you get there and find it has not been re-stocked!

Plus we all have our own preferences: I always preferred to carry my own!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 7th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 4,765 Posts
    • 6,505 Thanks
    74jax
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    I've never ever heard of this, or seen it.

Keep a packet in your drawer.

I have endometriosis and so definately understand yet I wouldn't ever expect my work to supply such items. I like a particular brand and version. Therefore I always have a box in my drawer.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 3,858 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Well, you can raise it again at the wellbeing group, but honestly, I agree with the responses above. I don't know if there are costs associated with the dispenser, or if that's covered by purchases, but providing a basket (wee or otherwise) is definitely going to have a cost, and somebody's going to have to be responsible for keeping it supplied, and it's no help if you get there and find it has not been re-stocked!

Plus we all have our own preferences: I always preferred to carry my own!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue

...... and there's bound to be at least one person who would see it as an easy / free way of providing them with all their sanitary supplies and pilfer them on a regular basis.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 7th Aug 18, 8:46 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    JCS1
    Supplies in handbag and in desk drawers.

Wonder if a company did provide such items, it would be classed as a benefit in kind?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 5,438 Posts
    • 32,290 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    At my two storey mill, all the heads, including the female toilet, are on the ground floor. Having had a cardiac arrest a few years back, I am often caught short when I need a p. Hence, I take plenty of water and use the spray wall on the hour. Unfortunately, my work place don!!!8217;t make any further adjustments,
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Coughing does not stop a Cardiac Arrest! Statins have not cured any electrical faults!
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 7th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 6,686 Thanks
    theoretica
    I go to one place that has emergency supplies - but not kept in the loo. As LilElvis says, they would be so convenient there that they would have high usage. Keeping them with the first aid box, however, seems to work.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • mangog
    • By mangog 7th Aug 18, 10:17 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    mangog
    Invest in a menstrual cup instead! You can wear it for 12 hours straight, so you don't to worry about running out of supplies at work, and if you keep it in your handbag you'll always have it when you need it. My other top tip is to get a period tracker app which will remind you when your period is due so you can remember to grab your cup or whatever you need.

Another idea would be to set up a communal supplies basket in the loo - ask anyone who wants to be involved to add to it every so often, and have it available in the ladies' bathroom for anyone who needs it. Like a tea and coffee fund, but for sanitary products!
    • Nothanks
    • By Nothanks 7th Aug 18, 10:42 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Nothanks
    They provide loo roll, I don't see what's unreasonable about the request but I've also never known of it in a workplace. Not that I spend lots of time in the ladies toilets.

This sort of minor facilities thing your union branch could sort in a jiffy - just saying.
    Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 7th Aug 18, 11:47 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Hi,

Regards

Bitofsteak
    Originally posted by Bitofsteak

Your heavy periods are not your employer's problem.

Surely you don't expect to be provided with towels / tampons everywhere else that you go in life??

Rather than waste time talking to your employer about this,why don't you see this as an opportunity to make sure that you are always prepared for the worst whereever you go???
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 7th Aug 18, 11:53 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    ...... and there's bound to be at least one person who would see it as an easy / free way of providing them with all their sanitary supplies and pilfer them on a regular basis.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Or somebody that would complain about the brand / type of sanpro that was provided and make a fuss.

Or somebody that expected sanpro to always be in the ladies and then complain when they needed it themselves and there was none left.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Aug 18, 5:50 AM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I'd love to see the email exchange about this between the office admin and the woman in HR...
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 8th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    I've never ever heard of this, or seen it.

Keep a packet in your drawer.

I have endometriosis and so definately understand yet I wouldn't ever expect my work to supply such items. I like a particular brand and version. Therefore I always have a box in my drawer.
    Originally posted by 74jax

Wife used to suffer before the boys came along and ive never seen her suffer like she did when she had the endometriosis,amazes me the amount of suffering a woman can endure.

She always had a certain brand and type and would keep them dotted about everywhere..her car,my car and even the shopping bags...was intent on never being caught short.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 8th Aug 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 9,935 Thanks
    warby68
    Supplies are already available on one of the two floors - that seems reasonable enough to me for a discretionary item.

In 30 years of work and numerous office buildings I can never recall EVERY bathroom having supplies, just certain ones. It makes perfect sense when there will be a cost to service every machine.

I really wouldn't go to war on this one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

7,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Eh? I think you are confusing a poll with an opinion I wrote my polls in an attempt not to lead the vote, otherwis? https://t.co/2IUtL7vBOr

• Today's Twitter poll: Should fracking be allowed in the UK? A test site reopened this week to much local protest.? https://t.co/orpNJN6Bf9

• Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Follow Martin