Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Becks32
    • By Becks32 7th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Becks32
    I need to sell my house!
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    I need to sell my house! 7th Aug 18 at 4:34 PM
    Hi
    I am at a complete loss as to how to sell my house. It has been on the market for almost 3 years now and I am starting to worry it wont sell at all. I think the main problem is that it is in Orkney but I always thought that as long as this was priced accordingly then it would sell. Other houses are selling there (although not in my immediate vicinity - not sure why) so hence my confusion.
    The house is a large 4 bedroomed house with 3 acres, a newly roofed ruin with development potential and outbuildings. It has a 270 degree view of the sea with an island, lighthouse and ships passing regularly. There are secluded beaches, regular sightings of orcas, seals and the Aurora is visible when the conditions are right. The property has a borehole and although this could be seen as a negative it does reduce the council tax and has been fitted with an industrial filter and the water tested to prove it is of good quality.

The house is 10 minutes from the local village which has amenities such as village shops, school, Drs surgery, cafes and the ferry to the mainland. We have reduced the price by 35k since it was originally advertised as prices have fallen and it is now at a price in line with 2 similar properties within a 2 mile radius which also have land.

We have it listed with a local estate agent who seems to just wait for enquiries and wont attend viewings, we have already changed once so I am reluctant to do so again and there are only 3 there and all seem to be the same, so probably wouldn't achieve anything. I have listed the house with a smallholding website and posted on lots of local southern sites such as Facebay and other sales sites in London and across the south. I have produced leaflets and put up in prominent places and mentioned it to everyone I know. I really am at a complete loss so any advice, ideas or recommendations would be gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance!
Page 3
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 9,962 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I do not see it listed on the HSPC website.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    That's because it's being sold by estate agents rather than solicitors. The solicitors property centres (as the name suggests) generally only market properties being sold by solicitors.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Aug 18, 11:44 AM
    • 13,371 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    From a previous post of the OP's
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    It doesn't say they were local to Orkney though. It could be people having issues shifting properties in Aberdeen or someone wanting to move from the Fair Isle to the more cosmopolitan Orkney.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 8th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    • 8,637 Posts
    • 28,769 Thanks
    fairy lights
    It has a 270 degree view of the sea with an island, lighthouse and ships passing regularly. There are secluded beaches, regular sightings of orcas, seals and the Aurora is visible when the conditions are right.
    Originally posted by Becks32
    Sounds Idyllic, but from scrolling through the photos you'd never know it.
    It looks like an ugly house in need of updating in the middle of some scrubby farmland in a barren landscape. Nothing about it say "perfect country retreat".

I wonder if it would be worth getting professional photos done of the landscape around the house, the sun setting over the sea etc to make it look more appealing?
    • Teasedale
    • By Teasedale 8th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Teasedale
    I wonder if it would be worth getting professional photos done of the landscape around the house, the sun setting over the sea etc to make it look more appealing?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Spot on, fairy. So many properties are condemned by crap photography to linger unviewed at the bottom of the market (I've bought some!). Yet with smartphones there are gazillions of good photographers out there and I'll bet the OP knows someone who would enjoy the job and maybe a bottle of Scapa when the property sells.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 11,864 Posts
    • 13,842 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

Theyve had 8 offers. Theyve all fallen through for reasons unconnected with the house.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 8th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 8,637 Posts
    • 28,769 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Theyve had 8 offers. Theyve all fallen through for reasons unconnected with the house.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    In three years! So the pool of local buyers seems to have dried up, and to someone looking for a holiday home it just doesn't look appealing. It's got a touch of the 'Craggy Island' about it.
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 8th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    I see the last sale of the property was in December 2006 for 35k.

11.5 years later the property is being marketed for 210k - I make that a compound annual increase of 17% every year for 11.5 years.

I dont know a great deal about property prices in the Islands but even with low borrowing rates, I am struggling to see the causes of such a huge increase - a casual perusal of the sold stats for the area shows that prices for detached properties have been relatively stable for the last 6+ years.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 9,962 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I see the last sale of the property was in December 2006 for 35k.

11.5 years later the property is being marketed for 210k - I make that a compound annual increase of 17% every year for 11.5 years.

I dont know a great deal about property prices in the Islands but even with low borrowing rates, I am struggling to see the causes of such a huge increase - a casual perusal of the sold stats for the area shows that prices for detached properties have been relatively stable for the last 6+ years.
    Originally posted by Brock_and_Roll
    In which case the 35k is probably a rogue figure rather than an open market sale. Things like transfers of equity on divorce etc often creep into the house price data.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 8th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    ProDave
    I have mentioned this before many times. the housing market in many parts of Scotland has not yet recovered from the 2008 crash. We have had 10 years of stagnation, little demand and no rise in prices. It is not unusual for large properties here so take 3 or 4 years to sell, but when they do eventually sell, they sell for close to the asking price. and of course surveyors valuations are based on local sales, so if one sold at that price, that is it's value, even if it took 4 years to find that buyer.

I must admit I thought Orkney was fairing a bit better

Also this illustrates what I have also said, that house here are "under valued" By that I mean you could not buy a plot of land and build that house for that money. Even if you got the plot for free, you would struggle to build the house for that money. So we are in a situation where a house value is less than the actual cost of building it.

I have also speculated before what the "problem" is and I believe it to be the SNP. As long as there is a continuing threat of another referendum and Scottish Independence, then most English buyers are simply not interested in moving to Scotland, and is is an unfortunate fact that large houses like this near the top of the market are outside the reach of locals on lower wages.

It is a telling fact than when we tried to sell, we only had one viewing from an Engishman. Had it been on the market pre 2008, it would have sold very quickly with loads of English bidders probably forcing a closing date and best and final offers.

Drop the price to give it away might make is sell if it drops enough for a local to buy it, but I assume you want to buy another property, you would also have to find one where the vendor will match that price drop. Unlikely.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 8th Aug 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    ProDave
    In which case the 35k is probably a rogue figure rather than an open market sale. Things like transfers of equity on divorce etc often creep into the house price data.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    That was probably when the land, and the dereleict cottage was sold as a building plot. The house that is there has been built since that date.
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 8th Aug 18, 1:19 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    That was probably when the land, and the dereleict cottage was sold as a building plot. The house that is there has been built since that date.
    Originally posted by ProDave

Yes you are probably right - I realised this after my post. Presumably the OP's mortgage is a lot more than 35k
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 8th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    BBH123
    When I was a teenager we lived in sussex but bought a farm on Rousay for holidays etc to totally escape and it was wonderful if you had a good summer and ferocious if you didn't.

Unlike this property though it had bags of character as it was an old croft house. This house looks like it could be anywhere in the country there is nothing ' special' about it. The description from OP was wonderful in terms of orca's etc and then you see the house and what a let down. Better photo's a must .

I cant see much of a market for it tbh as 3 acres is not enough to really do much with, especially if you are aiming at small holding / lifestyle buyers and yet for ordinary families 3 acres is a big garden to have to pay someone to cut.

I wish the OP luck.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3700/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - 1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 2:20 PM
    • 17,400 Posts
    • 48,313 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I have also speculated before what the "problem" is and I believe it to be the SNP. As long as there is a continuing threat of another referendum and Scottish Independence, then most English buyers are simply not interested in moving to Scotland, and is is an unfortunate fact that large houses like this near the top of the market are outside the reach of locals on lower wages.

It is a telling fact than when we tried to sell, we only had one viewing from an Engishman. Had it been on the market pre 2008, it would have sold very quickly with loads of English bidders probably forcing a closing date and best and final offers.

Drop the price to give it away might make is sell if it drops enough for a local to buy it, but I assume you want to buy another property, you would also have to find one where the vendor will match that price drop. Unlikely.

I'd forgotten them - yes....that does "give cause for pause" whilst all that stuff is still going on....for however long....
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 9,962 Thanks
    davidmcn
    As long as there is a continuing threat of another referendum and Scottish Independence, then most English buyers are simply not interested in moving to Scotland
    Not sure why not tbh - the more ardent indie supporters among my friends are originally from England, and I would have thought more might enjoy the prospect of escaping Brexit.

Besides, from an Orkney perspective both Holyrood and Westminster are pretty remote.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 13,371 Posts
    • 19,261 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I think Orkney and Shetland have been returning a Liberal/Liberal Democrat MP since 1950. They are certainly not a SNP stronghold and I think that the only thing the majority of people in the Northern Isles fear more than being ruled by Westminster is to be ruled by Holyrood. I think some inhabitants were even talking about becoming part of Norway should Scotland become independent.

Besides, as davidmcn says, a lot of ardent SNP supporters are actually English.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 17,400 Posts
    • 48,313 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    A lot of the more "ardent" Nationalist supporters here in West Wales are English too.

But then - there are a lot of English that are "British".....iyswim and it is disconcerting to find people from one's own part of the country saying things like "It's THEIR country (implication - not ours too then!)" and apparently not understanding why everyone needs to be able to understand what's going on....

I've not figured that one out yet - but guess, in their case, they've come here to escape England and maybe want to forget they are still in Britain iyswim??? I can relate to wanting to get away from overpopulation (and "build/build/build" that goes with it) and the risk of fracking - but don't wish to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" ...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-08-2018 at 2:52 PM.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 33,649 Posts
    • 20,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Part of the issue is the cost to build, the land is low value and that won't change whatever you build on it because there is plenty there.

Kitting out what may have been a roofless set of walls into a dormer bungalow won't make money.

Is that set of land and buildings worth 200k, probably in current condition.
    (if you wanted to live there you could not build what is there if the land was free)

The main issue no one is buying, the value drops as the place deteriorates till it becomes a plot of land again.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 8th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,451 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    usefulmale
    Sounds Idyllic, but from scrolling through the photos you'd never know it.
    It looks like an ugly house in need of updating in the middle of some scrubby farmland in a barren landscape. Nothing about it say "perfect country retreat".

Agreed. I thought that photo of the lighthouse were the chimneys of a waste incinerator.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... 3 years ...
    Originally posted by Becks32
    Price.
    ------
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 8th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    ProDave
    This one https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=52667723&sale=20272255&co untry=scotland sold for 205K in February, only 2 bedrooms and a very old no doubt cold and expensive to heat cottage. I would have chosen the OP's house in preference any day.

It was listed in July 2015, so took 3 almost 3 years to sell, just as I said.
    Last edited by ProDave; 08-08-2018 at 4:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,582Posts Today

6,360Users online

Martin's Twitter