Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Becks32
    • By Becks32 7th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Becks32
    I need to sell my house!
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    I need to sell my house! 7th Aug 18 at 4:34 PM
    Hi
    I am at a complete loss as to how to sell my house. It has been on the market for almost 3 years now and I am starting to worry it wont sell at all. I think the main problem is that it is in Orkney but I always thought that as long as this was priced accordingly then it would sell. Other houses are selling there (although not in my immediate vicinity - not sure why) so hence my confusion.
    The house is a large 4 bedroomed house with 3 acres, a newly roofed ruin with development potential and outbuildings. It has a 270 degree view of the sea with an island, lighthouse and ships passing regularly. There are secluded beaches, regular sightings of orcas, seals and the Aurora is visible when the conditions are right. The property has a borehole and although this could be seen as a negative it does reduce the council tax and has been fitted with an industrial filter and the water tested to prove it is of good quality.

The house is 10 minutes from the local village which has amenities such as village shops, school, Drs surgery, cafes and the ferry to the mainland. We have reduced the price by 35k since it was originally advertised as prices have fallen and it is now at a price in line with 2 similar properties within a 2 mile radius which also have land.

We have it listed with a local estate agent who seems to just wait for enquiries and wont attend viewings, we have already changed once so I am reluctant to do so again and there are only 3 there and all seem to be the same, so probably wouldn't achieve anything. I have listed the house with a smallholding website and posted on lots of local southern sites such as Facebay and other sales sites in London and across the south. I have produced leaflets and put up in prominent places and mentioned it to everyone I know. I really am at a complete loss so any advice, ideas or recommendations would be gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Gwendo40
    • By Gwendo40 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Gwendo40
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    It's the price.

It's always the price.

Any house in any location WILL sell for the right price regardless of it's faults or quirks (like a borehole)
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    You need to advertise it widely- I suspect many buyers aren!!!8217;t local - though could be wrong
    • cloo
    • By cloo 7th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    cloo
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    Are the other houses selling 'ruins with roofs'? Taking on a project is daunting enough without it being on a remote island.

Maybe you need to find some Doomsday-believing types online and flog it to them as the ideal escape from everything!
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 7th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    Have you tried

https://www.daltonsbusiness.com/buy/hotels-for-sale/holiday-cottages

or this

https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/holiday-homes-for-sale

Not sure if it is your home but if you could market it as a holiday home project you might get more interest.
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 7th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:22 PM
    Also can you put a link up so that we can look and advise as there are a lot of people on here who may be able to give objective advice
    • Becks32
    • By Becks32 7th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Becks32
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    Thank you, I am inclined to agree but just worried that i may drop and it still not sell. What I didnt mention before is that we have had quite a few people who have wanted it, even at a much higher price but they have not been in a position to buy. It hasn't been a shortage of interest, just a shortage of people who can proceed. We had 4 people at one point but not one could fllow through.
    • Becks32
    • By Becks32 7th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Becks32
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:51 PM
    Thanks, yes have considered this but unfortunately we have racked up bills with solicitors, family and so have to sell to repay costs. otherwise this would be the perfect solution.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 25,573 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    Thanks, yes have considered this but unfortunately we have racked up bills with solicitors, family and so have to sell to repay costs. otherwise this would be the perfect solution.
    Originally posted by Becks32
    They were suggesting that you *sold* it as a holiday home project, not that you let it out as a holiday home.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • financegeek
    • By financegeek 7th Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    financegeek
    I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say your house sounds lovely!

Is it advertised on the mainland / in England at all? i can see it being the type of property that a family wanting a different kind of life would be interested in!
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 7th Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    Another site

https://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 7th Aug 18, 7:26 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    They were suggesting that you *sold* it as a holiday home project, not that you let it out as a holiday home.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl

Yes that is exactly what I meant
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 4,470 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Thank you, I am inclined to agree but just worried that i may drop and it still not sell. What I didnt mention before is that we have had quite a few people who have wanted it, even at a much higher price but they have not been in a position to buy. It hasn't been a shortage of interest, just a shortage of people who can proceed. We had 4 people at one point but not one could fllow through.
    Originally posted by Becks32

That would suggest that the house, in its current state, is unmortgagable. Unless you are in a position to bring it up to standard, you may be limited to trying to sell it at auction.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Aug 18, 7:46 PM
    • 8,210 Posts
    • 8,568 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Are the other houses selling 'ruins with roofs'? Taking on a project is daunting enough without it being on a remote island.
    Originally posted by cloo
    That would suggest that the house, in its current state, is unmortgagable. Unless you are in a position to bring it up to standard, you may be limited to trying to sell it at auction.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Possibly some misunderstanding - I think when the OP said "the house is a large 4 bedroomed house with 3 acres, a newly roofed ruin with development potential and outbuildings" they meant that the house comes with 3 acres and an annex of some sort which is a ruin, not that the whole thing is uninhabitable as at stands.
    • Becks32
    • By Becks32 7th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Becks32
    tried the link but it wouldn't allow me to post. THe house is advertised on Lows property Orkney and is priced at 210k and called Lochside, if your happy to take a look for me?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 29,620 Posts
    • 75,728 Thanks
    Mojisola
    www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73067807.html
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 25,573 Posts
    • 69,397 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Wow, that's a lot for the money.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th Aug 18, 10:36 PM
    • 4,717 Posts
    • 6,911 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    It is advertised as a 4 bed but two of the bedrooms are on the ground floor and only two are on the 1st floor.

There is only one bathroom which is on the 1st floor so if you are sleeping in one of the downstairs bedrooms you have to go upstairs for a shower? Who wants that as a living arrangement? It is as bad has having the bathroom downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 07-08-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Aug 18, 11:15 PM
    • 8,210 Posts
    • 8,568 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Pics of empty rooms make them look a bit stark, and it's always difficult to imagine what they can accommodate without somebody's furniture in there - but unless you have a previous set of photos I expect there's not much you can do about that now.

From the brochure - "A mains water supply may be available to the property in Spring 2018" - an update would be good! Also indicates that you didn't really start marketing in May. Oh, and they should probably fix the reference to "pubic houses"!

Don't know what's with all the "0.0m x 0.0m" measurements for the external bits - either give the actual measurements or leave them out.

I've never seen agent boasting of a "clean" home report before - don't think I'd bother, especially if it's three years old and will need updated anyway.
    • Gwendo40
    • By Gwendo40 8th Aug 18, 5:59 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    Gwendo40
    Wow, that's a lot for the money.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Compared to some locations yes it is.

But the fact that this one has sat languishing for 3 years with no serious interest, suggests otherwise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,919Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin