Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lajaw
    • By lajaw 7th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lajaw
    Charge for wheelchair repairs under 2yrs old.
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    Charge for wheelchair repairs under 2yrs old. 7th Aug 18 at 4:08 PM
    Any advice please...
    My daughter's electric wheelchair has been serviced which I'm happy to pay for but the wheels, that have motors on them, had to be sent away to be repared. The cost of this is extortionate and the chair isn't even 2yrs old yet. The company that sold us the chair are useless and rude. I'm not impressed with them. Where do I stand on this ? The company aren't forthcoming with their warranty information. Surely a chair under 2yrs must be covered. I am a single mum and 500 is a lot of money that I don't have.

Thank you, Louise.
Page 1
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 7th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,121 Posts
    • 69,883 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    Were you advised of the need for repair or did they just do it without your consent?

If you have the wheelchair, try asking an autoelectric place to look at it and see what they think - 500 for motor "repair" after less than 2 years seems a bit high.

Pity trading standards is no more, this is the sort of they may be interested in.

EDIT - from your wording they have done the "repair" without your consent - all you asked for was a service so I think you would have a good case to do a MCOL claim to get your money back as they did a repair without it being authorised by you first.
    Last edited by D_M_E; 07-08-2018 at 4:59 PM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 5,600 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 3:55 PM
    You'll be covered by whatever warranty the company gave when you bought it.

It may have been for 12 months only. It may only cover certain parts.

Do you have any paperwork from the sale showing any warranty given?

Have they said why the wheels have worn?

Has the chair been misused?

Did you buy it from a supplier or direct from the manufacturer?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 8th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    • 2,457 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 4:10 PM
    You can report to Trading Standards (they do still exist)

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    Any advice please...
    My daughter's electric wheelchair has been serviced which I'm happy to pay for but the wheels, that have motors on them, had to be sent away to be repared. The cost of this is extortionate and the chair isn't even 2yrs old yet. The company that sold us the chair are useless and rude. I'm not impressed with them. Where do I stand on this ? The company aren't forthcoming with their warranty information. Surely a chair under 2yrs must be covered. I am a single mum and 500 is a lot of money that I don't have.

Thank you, Louise.
    Originally posted by lajaw

Please reveal the brand and company that you purchased it from - for the good of others in the forum....
    • Finefoot
    • By Finefoot 21st Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    Finefoot
    • 21st Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    • 21st Aug 18, 9:33 PM
    Hi, we found ourselves in the same position. Very costly wheelchair that very quickly needed repair. It was also a non NHS wheelchair. The company refused to return it unless we paid for it. They charged 150 for transportation costs!

There is a company that insures wheelchairs Mark Bates I think they are called. They are very helpful.

Dont touch Recare ltd with a bargepole. Very unhelpful, rude and charge extortionate fees.
    Loving the sunny days!
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 31st Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    • 31st Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 31st Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    I am wondering the brand also as i have a wheelchair with motors in the wheels and my wheels are currently off for a service.

I trust the mobility shop but he has to post them off to invacare who post to alber. I only want a service and they wouldn't quote a price but promised me it will cost me nothing until I agree. Getting anxious now. Please if it's an efix would you let me know.

In the meantime will any of the grants on the turn2us grants finder help you cover the cost?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 2nd Sep 18, 10:05 AM
    • 5,600 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 2nd Sep 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2nd Sep 18, 10:05 AM
    The OP has not logged on again since she posted so I don't think you will get n answer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,874Posts Today

6,955Users online

Martin's Twitter