Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jackjonesey
    • By Jackjonesey 7th Aug 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jackjonesey
    Speeding fine
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:03 PM
    Speeding fine 7th Aug 18 at 4:03 PM
    Hi

I received a speeding fine for a vehicle that I have never driven, nor was I in the stated location on the day or time given on the notice. Should I complete the NIP and send back or just write a letter to them stating the above?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 7th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    You should check out Pepipoo as this forum focuses on parking tickets in private car parks, whilst Pepipoo focusses on council parking and speeding tickets.
    Last edited by Le_Kirk; 07-08-2018 at 4:11 PM.
    • Jackjonesey
    • By Jackjonesey 7th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jackjonesey
    There's no option for this in the NIP
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 7th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:11 PM
    Go to this web site: -
    http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/
    register (not using a Hotmail e-mail address) and put your question to the forumites there.
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 7th Aug 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:33 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:33 PM
    It's probably a number plate misread. Best option is to make a "bemused" call to the camera unit, whereupon they will probably check the photos, and can then confirm if it's a misread.

You should post on Pepipoo anyway.
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 7th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    bargepole
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    Hi

I received a speeding fine for a vehicle that I have never driven, nor was I in the stated location on the day or time given on the notice. Should I complete the NIP and send back or just write a letter to them stating the above?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Jackjonesey
    It is not a 'fine' at this stage. It is a statutory demand to provide the name and address of the driver at the time of the alleged offence.

You cannot complete the form, as none of the options are applicable.

You should send it back with a covering letter:

Dear Sirs,

Further to your NIP reference no. XXXXX, I will state as follows.

I am not, and never have been, the registered keeper of vehicle with VRM no. XXXXXXX, and have never driven the vehicle at the stated location, or anywhere else.

I can also confirm that I was not at, or anywhere near, the stated location on the material date.

This is all of the information which it is in my power to give, and I am returning your form uncompleted, as none of the questions are applicable to me.

I have now complied with my statutory obligations under s172, and do not expect to receive any further correspondence on this matter, save for your confirmation that no further action will be taken by yourselves.

Yours etc.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 34, lost 10), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and am a Graduate member of CILEx, studying towards a Fellowship (equivalent to solicitor) in Civil Litigation. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 7th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,246 Thanks
    Johnersh
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    You may also want to see if you can find an independent witness able to say where your car was and/or investigate whether someone could have cloned (copied) your numberplate.

If you have a car GPS like a tracker that will settle this definitively.
    "The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading."
    DISCLAIMER: I post thoughts as & when they occur. I don't advise. You are your own person and decision-maker. I'm unlikely to respond to DMs seeking personal advice. It's ill-advised & you lose the benefit of a group "take" on events.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

414Posts Today

4,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GillsSarah: Interesting! I always used to buy big name products cos I thought they?d be stronger. @MartinSLewis has changed my mind on?

• RT @think_jessica: Think Jessica the Film 30 min doc/drama based on my mother?s true story. Narrated by @MartinSLewis is now live on https:?

• RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Follow Martin