Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 7th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 171Posts
    • 87Thanks
    Craig1981
    Data Protection Breach
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    Data Protection Breach 7th Aug 18 at 3:48 PM
    Good afternoon all

so, i have upgraded two contracts with my mobile phone provider. unable to do online to their error, and when done over the phone, was not at all pleased the way my card details were handled. I put in a complaint, and this has been investigated, and they advise there was breach of data protection. they offered we equivalent of £50 worth of vouchers, but i may need to cancel my credit card i used over the phone for my own peace of mind ?!?
    I asked then in response if they have informed the ICO of the breach, and they have said they have done so.

So, with me having to cancel my credit card and clear misuse of data which has been reported to the ICO, should i accept their offer of £50 in vouchers for this complaint to be over? or should i seek compensation from logging complaint with ICO as well?

any personal experiences similar would be a great help

many thanks
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 8,825 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    Why do people look for excessive compensation for something that could have happened? Assuming that no issues (i.e. fraudulent transactions) have occurred, then you should be happy with the £50 (equivalent?) of vouchers they have offered you.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• Craig1981
    • By Craig1981 7th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Craig1981
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:26 PM
    Why do people look for excessive compensation for something that could have happened? Assuming that no issues (i.e. fraudulent transactions) have occurred, then you should be happy with the £50 (equivalent?) of vouchers they have offered you.
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    2nd sentence was the help i asked for,so thank you. not so much the 1st sentence taking a little stab. I'm not looking for excessive compensation, just wanting to make sure i am doing the correct thing. i'm quite happy to accept it as it is more than i had before. i don't want everything for nothing, but also do not want to lose out on something because i foolishly grabbed the 1st offer that came to me
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 8,825 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    2nd sentence was the help i asked for,so thank you. not so much the 1st sentence taking a little stab. I'm not looking for excessive compensation, just wanting to make sure i am doing the correct thing. i'm quite happy to accept it as it is more than i had before. i don't want everything for nothing, but also do not want to lose out on something because i foolishly grabbed the 1st offer that came to me
    Originally posted by Craig1981

Those 2 statements contradict each other.

Take the £50 vouchers & be happy.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,202Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin