Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peapod21
    • By peapod21 7th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    peapod21
    British Gas/Taylor Wimpey - New House
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    British Gas/Taylor Wimpey - New House 7th Aug 18 at 3:41 PM
    I moved into a new build property at the end of March 2018 and one of the first things to try and sort out was energy tariff and supplier. When I asked the developer (Taylor Wimpey) I was told I would have to wait for British Gas to provide a close off bill before I could seek a better tariff and switch, other wise I would effectively be paying for 2 tariffs/contracts. That bill did not arrive until last week (August 2018) and only cover the period from when I moved in until the end of June 2018, and it wasn't cheap either (162.00).

My question(s) are:
    1. Is it correct that I had to wait for the 'close off' bill before switching?
    2. If not, what should be my next course of action in terms of seeking redress?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 11,384 Posts
    • 5,001 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    When you moved in you where in a Deemed Contract with BG .
    It was up to you to contact BG and register with them allowing you to transfer off the standard tariff or move provider.

See multiple identical posts .
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 27,588 Posts
    • 13,543 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:49 PM

My question(s) are:
    1. Is it correct that I had to wait for the 'close off' bill before switching?
    2. If not, what should be my next course of action in terms of seeking redress?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by peapod21
    No it is not correct that you had to wait for a bill.

As said above you were on a legally binding deemed contract with BG from the moment you moved into the property. However you should have have read your meters on the day you moved in and contacted BG with those readings and got an account number.

You would be then free to instigate switching to another company. All contact is with the gaining(new) company and BG will send you a final bill up to the day the switch takes place.

BG seem to have done nothing wrong, the fault is you have been wrongly advised by Taylor Wimpey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

567Posts Today

4,213Users online

Martin's Twitter