Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sophiefisher92
    • By Sophiefisher92 7th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sophiefisher92
    Mortgage held up by Default
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    Mortgage held up by Default 7th Aug 18 at 3:27 PM
    I am a first time buyer, and although the underwriter is happy with everything else on my mortgage application, he wont sign it off until I pay off an outstanding balance on a default I have on my credit report.

The default is from Vodafone for an old phone contract which I took out for my brother in 2011. The outstanding balance is 657 which I'm happy to pay to make sure I get this mortgage. Problem is, I can't remember the mobile number and have no paperwork with an account number. I've spent 3hours on the phone to Vodafone in the past couple of days but they cannot find the account at all. They've searched by my name, postcode, date of birth, everything! But still cannot find it so I can't pay it off!

I have contacted Equifax who have disputed the default, but Vodafone have 21 days to respond to this, by which time I would have lost the house!

I have received no paperwork about the account in over 5 years from Vodafone or any debt collection company.

I have no idea what else I can do to speed up this process.
Page 1
    • ruthcain1
    • By ruthcain1 7th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    ruthcain1
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    do you have a mortgage broker? I was in a similar situation and got all the paperwork together showing that I was doing everything I could to pay it off but couldn't do so fast enough. My mortgage broker managed to talk to someone higher up than the usual credit refuser (!) and it went through at the last minute.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 18,990 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    Make sure you have checked whether it appears on your other two credit files.

I would ask your broker to consider whether he needs to look at other lenders.
    • welly_59
    • By welly_59 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    welly_59
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    I am in the same situation. 3 mobile default with an outstanding balance. They wont let me pay it off as the debt has been written off and the accounts deleted from their system. Currently Im going through resolver to try and get it fixed
  • Vodafone
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 9:39 AM
    Hi Sophiefisher92,

If you still need help with this matter, please email us via the form here.

To access the form you'll just need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check it's been received.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 4th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 4th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    • 4th Sep 18, 10:08 AM
    Only a month late - well done Vodafone!
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 4th Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Sweetcake
    • 4th Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    Heya, may I ask what lender this was with? And what happened in the end with your mortgage? Manage to sort it out?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,405Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin