Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sophiefisher92
    • By Sophiefisher92 7th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sophiefisher92
    Mortgage held up by Default
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    Mortgage held up by Default 7th Aug 18 at 3:27 PM
    I am a first time buyer, and although the underwriter is happy with everything else on my mortgage application, he wont sign it off until I pay off an outstanding balance on a default I have on my credit report.

The default is from Vodafone for an old phone contract which I took out for my brother in 2011. The outstanding balance is £657 which I'm happy to pay to make sure I get this mortgage. Problem is, I can't remember the mobile number and have no paperwork with an account number. I've spent 3hours on the phone to Vodafone in the past couple of days but they cannot find the account at all. They've searched by my name, postcode, date of birth, everything! But still cannot find it so I can't pay it off!

I have contacted Equifax who have disputed the default, but Vodafone have 21 days to respond to this, by which time I would have lost the house!

I have received no paperwork about the account in over 5 years from Vodafone or any debt collection company.

I have no idea what else I can do to speed up this process.
Page 1
    • ruthcain1
    • By ruthcain1 7th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    ruthcain1
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    do you have a mortgage broker? I was in a similar situation and got all the paperwork together showing that I was doing everything I could to pay it off but couldn't do so fast enough. My mortgage broker managed to talk to someone higher up than the usual credit refuser (!) and it went through at the last minute.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 17,999 Posts
    • 19,198 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:32 PM
    Make sure you have checked whether it appears on your other two credit files.

I would ask your broker to consider whether he needs to look at other lenders.
    • welly_59
    • By welly_59 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    welly_59
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    I am in the same situation. 3 mobile default with an outstanding balance. They wonít let me pay it off as the debt has been written off and the accounts deleted from their system. Currently Iím going through resolver to try and get it fixed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin