Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the gardener
    • By the gardener 7th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 5Thanks
    the gardener
    amazon will not refund
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    amazon will not refund 7th Aug 18 at 2:40 PM
    I bought an electronic item recently from an amazon market seller. Shortly after ordering I realised I had misread the description. So when the item arrived I left it in the packaging and put another box around it and processed the return process.

One slight issue , The item was bought with gift card (from BT) that was close to expiring so I contacted amazon who messaged the seller who agreed to refund the amount as an amazon credit.

The parcel arrived back and seller did the opposite and returned the refund back to gift card. I have evidence of the messages agreeing to return as an amazon credit.

After a lot messages and an awkward phone call the bottom line is that amazon have said we made the refund so that is it ?

I am waiting for a response back from the gift card company but I will not hold my breath.

Any thoughts
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    Has the gift card expired? I think that technically the seller has done nothing wrong. It's not their concern that you paid with a gift card that was close to expiry. If Amazon has said that as far as they're concerned the transaction has been completed (which it has) then you are left waiting to see if the gift card company will extend the expiry date on the now credited card so you can spend it.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 10,810 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    Deleted read the cards wrong .
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 07-08-2018 at 4:15 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    • 20,683 Posts
    • 16,495 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    You have had the money back but on an Amazon gift card valid 12 months +.
    As opposed to a nearly expired card .
    I know which i would prefer .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan

It doesn't say anywhere that the refund was to an Amazon gift card or that it is valid for 12 months +. In the absence of any other evidence it seems most likely that the refund has been made to the original gift card.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,063 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    You have had the money back but on an Amazon gift card valid 12 months +.
    As opposed to a nearly expired card .
    I know which i would prefer .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I don't think that's correct. I read it as the OP asked for Amazon credit, and it was agreed, but the seller refunded back onto the nearly expired/now expired BT gift card.

The item was bought with gift card (from BT) that was close to expiring so I contacted amazon who messaged the seller who agreed to refund the amount as an amazon credit.

The parcel arrived back and seller did the opposite and returned the refund back to gift card.
    Originally posted by the gardener

• the gardener
    • By the gardener 7th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    the gardener
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:36 PM
    I don't think that's correct. I read it as the OP asked for Amazon credit, and it was agreed, but the seller refunded back onto the nearly expired/now expired BT gift card.
    Originally posted by mije1983

correct as above and yes it has expired at the end of July

I see that as some form of contractual agreement but is amazon responsible in anyway. They did ask the seller to refund as an amazon credit and the seller agreed but in reality the opposite
    • sjbrun
    • By sjbrun 7th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    sjbrun
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    I sell on amazon, the seller has no choice where the refund goes, all they have is a button that says refund. You need to contact Amazon directly. The seller cannot help you as they have issued a refund, Amazon control where it goes. You need to contact Amazon directly.
    • the gardener
    • By the gardener 7th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    the gardener
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    I sell on amazon, the seller has no choice where the refund goes, all they have is a button that says refund. You need to contact Amazon directly. The seller cannot help you as they have issued a refund, Amazon control where it goes. You need to contact Amazon directly.
    Originally posted by sjbrun

Yes the seller told me to contact amazon and they told me the refund had been made so that is it. The thing that annoys me was that amazon messaged the seller and told them not to refund back to the card. I even offered the seller the option of sending out an alternative product before they made the refund.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

4,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin