Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 7th Aug 18, 2:04 PM
    • 355Posts
    • 321Thanks
    Lisbon
    Problems with POA refund
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:04 PM
    Problems with POA refund 7th Aug 18 at 2:04 PM
    Is anyone else having problems in getting a refund? I originally tried to do this by telephone (which was initially the only option for someone claiming where the donor had died) and spent much fruitless time never even managing to get through before being cut off 'because the queue was too long'.

When applying online became an option, I did so, providing all the documents needed plus the date/reference number of the POA and the date/reference number of the online payment I made on behalf of my late father.

Several months later I was called by someone who asked me for all the same information again, because 'we do not have access to the information you submitted online'. The call took over 20 minutes to complete, so clearly a very efficient (not) way to do things.

I have now been told the application has been rejected because 'we have no record of a POA being applied for the in period 1.4.13 to 31.3.17'. This is in spite of the fact I have, as mentioned above, already provided the date of the payment I made (1 November 2016) and the date the POA was registered, with reference numbers in both cases.

If this is an indication of the level competence being displayed in processing these refunds, how on earth will they ever get through them - and what's the cost to the poor old taxpayer? Any thoughts on how to get a bit of sense into this whole overblown process, please?
Page 1
    • hb2
    • By hb2 7th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    hb2
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    Hi, I am not as far through the process as you. I made an on-line application and had a phone call asking for information (these two things were months apart) but haven't heard anything else since. Your experience doesn't fill me with confidence!
    • Dox
    • By Dox 7th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Dox
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:46 PM
    Hi, I am not as far through the process as you. I made an on-line application and had a phone call asking for information (these two things were months apart) but haven't heard anything else since. Your experience doesn't fill me with confidence!
    Originally posted by hb2
    Sounds all too familiar...do you think they are automatically rejecting applications in the hope people will give up and not try again?
    • hb2
    • By hb2 7th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    hb2
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    Sounds all too familiar...do you think they are automatically rejecting applications in the hope people will give up and not try again?
    Originally posted by Dox
    Maybe, I think they were pretty much forced into giving the refunds in the first place?

My Mum died in November, so I wouldn't bother pursuing this if my claim is rejected. We paid the reduced fee (as mum was on benefits) and I need the hassle less than I need the refund!
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 3,117 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    I applied on-line in April and payment was received in July ... No phone calls or enquires were made.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 07-08-2018 at 3:25 PM.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 7th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    Dox
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    I applied on-line in April and payment was received in July ... No phone calls or enquires were made.
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    Was this in respect of a donor who had died, or who is still alive?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 8th Aug 18, 2:23 AM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:23 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:23 AM
    I applied via email 3 mths ago, no reply to date.

The online application refund can only be made to the donor's account but there must be many, such as mine, where the donor is dead.

I am deaf so cannot claim by phone.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Aug 18, 5:18 AM
    • 4,766 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:18 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:18 AM
    Originally posted by Dox
    That is just an absurd suggestion.
    • Lisbon
    • By Lisbon 8th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Lisbon
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    My Mum died in November, so I wouldn't bother pursuing this if my claim is rejected. We paid the reduced fee (as mum was on benefits) and I need the hassle less than I need the refund!
    Originally posted by hb2
    I think your answer encapsulates exactly why Dox could be on to something!!
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 8th Aug 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,766 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Pure fantasy. Goverment departments don.t behave like that. Only conspiracy theorists and tabloid journalist believe they do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

2,715Users online

Martin's Twitter