Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Praeceps
    • By Praeceps 7th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Praeceps
    Selling mother's home
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    Selling mother's home 7th Aug 18 at 1:55 PM
    Hey there I think I need advice on what to expect.
    So my mother passed away earlier this year and I currently live at her home(I lived with her). When her home is sold it will be be split 3 ways between me and my siblings.

When the time comes I wish to buy my own place with the money when it's sold. What I wanted to know is is it possible to stay at the place until it's sold and buying a place of my own? Essentially putting myself in a chain? Or would it be too complicated? Would it be best for me to rent for 6 months and then look around to buy?

Thanks
    Andrew
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 5,899 Posts
    • 6,187 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    Has the rest of the estate been administered?

If the other beneficiaries are happy for you to do that it shouldn't be a problem.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 27,688 Posts
    • 16,645 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    You are not the executor of the estate?
    • Praeceps
    • By Praeceps 7th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Praeceps
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:21 PM
    Yes sorry I thought I included that in my post. Me and my mother's partner are executors. My siblings have no problem with the idea, it does save having the house empty too after all.

Thanks.
    • Stubod
    • By Stubod 7th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    Stubod
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    ..makes sense to continue to live in it until sold as it saves any "wasted" costs on renting. (Unless your siblings would expect some pro-rata "rental" income from the estate).

Only problem will be co-ordination of finding a new abode while selling the current home, but I guess that's just "normal" house buying and selling.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 22,857 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    The only issue will arise if your end of the chain holds things up or falls through. Part of the normal house buying process but wouldn't happen if you weren't living there.
    Could be an issue if your siblings become impatient which only you can know their attitude and need for the money.

It would seem unreasonable for them to hurry you if that's your home, but I think if it became a problem then there is the possibillity they might want to realise their assets.

I'd start getting my house in order quite literally as at some point your going to be moving anyway so makes sense to tidy up and sell/charity shop and tip anything you don't want.
    • Praeceps
    • By Praeceps 7th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Praeceps
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:40 PM
    One of them can be understanding while the other has been a bit impatient about it but we all still get along.

We all don't want a repeat of what happened with our Nan's estate. That was just another case of a bad egg in the family..

The reason we're not selling until the end of the year is because in the will it says me and my mother's partner can stay there for a year. We have had my two nieces move in for a bit who are renting which of course is split 3 ways too.

If by chance things do get very delayed by myself then I will have to rent for a little while.

Thanks for all of your answers.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 46,192 Posts
    • 55,923 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    If you move out, it will make selling quicker and easier. No chain.

On the other hand if you stay
    * you save yourself rental costs (you could make a contribution of 'rent' to your siblings....?)
    * insurance is cheaper/easier (unoccupied property insurance is expensive)
    * council tax may be cheaper (you claim single person discount) though check the council's policy on a) unoccupied properties and b) unoccupied following death of occupant
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Aug 18, 5:35 AM
    • 33,649 Posts
    • 20,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:35 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 5:35 AM
    Lived in houses often sell better than empty ones.

The process should have started, getting prepared for the sale and you started looking so you have a really good idea what you want.
    no rush yet but time soon goes by if not careful.

It should not be too difficult to get close(ish) to the deadline of the interest in possession which is the earliest the siblings can kick off.

Are you also trying to coordinate with the partners move?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

328Posts Today

1,847Users online

Martin's Twitter