Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pw1987
    • By pw1987 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pw1987
    Boiler service plan - company dissolved
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    Boiler service plan - company dissolved 7th Aug 18 at 1:42 PM
    Hi all, it's my first time posting in the forums so I hope this is the right place for this.

In August 2016 I had a new boiler fitted by Eco-Greendeals from Wakefield, West Yorkshire and paid for a 5 year service plan with them.
    Last year I called up and they came out and serviced it with no problems.
    This year the phone number wasn't active so I did a quick google and found that the company is dissolved.

My question is: is there any way to get some of the money I paid for the service plan back?

Thanks in anticipation,
    Pete
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 11,819 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    How much did the service plan cost and how did you pay for it?
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 42,803 Posts
    • 18,046 Thanks
    macman
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    Contact the liquidators. But don't expect more than a few pence in the pound.
    Are you sure the service plan was not underwritten by another company though?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • pw1987
    • By pw1987 8th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pw1987
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    It cost me 235 and I paid a deposit by card then the remainder with cash when the work was completed (my choice at the time as I had the cash for it) so I expect that means I'll have paid for the plan in cash.

As far as I can tell it isn't underwritten, I have a certificate (receipt) for it to say I have the plan but that's quite basic and doesn't say a lot. It looks like it's probably not worth chasing up too far would you say? It's a shame as the price for the boiler was good and the service last year was simple to arrange.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 8th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 5,321 Thanks
    cattie
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    What make is the boiler? Only some brands such as Valliant & Worcester Bosch boilers come with long guarantees from manufactuer as long as boiler is serviced by registered gas engineers once a year. My Vallaint boiler has cover for 5yrs & a friend who has a Worcester Bosch is covered for 7yrs.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 10,476 Posts
    • 11,819 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    It cost me 235 and I paid a deposit by card then the remainder with cash when the work was completed (my choice at the time as I had the cash for it) so I expect that means I'll have paid for the plan in cash.
    Originally posted by pw1987
    Provided that some of the money for the service plan was paid for on a credit card you will have "section 75" protection.
    Basically this means that the credit provided is jointly and equally liable for the contract along with the company that sold you the service plan.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/#what
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,988Posts Today

5,507Users online

Martin's Twitter