Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pedro789
    • By pedro789 7th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pedro789
    S&S Isa advice
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    S&S Isa advice 7th Aug 18 at 1:33 PM
    Hi all
    Hoped I could get some advice on S&S Isa. I've been paying in 150 p/m to two funds via HL for last 5+ years (Jupiter Merlin Worldwide & Stewart EM).

I've kind of left them during that time and they've grown modestly, both in quartile 3/4, and now considering my options.

I don't spend much time analyzing performance and willing to invest for long term and wondered whether switching to something like Vanguard LS 80 might be a better option?

As you can see I'm not most sophisticated investor, so pls go easy on me :-). Appreciate any advice, thanks.
Page 1
    • fun4everyone
    • By fun4everyone 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 1,552 Thanks
    fun4everyone
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    Given what you have said your plan sounds good. I presume the money is being left untouched for 10 years+? It does need to be for an 80% equity investment. If you are leaving it for even longer than that then you might consider 100% equity.

For that amount of money and the fact you don't want the hassle of analyzing your portfolio I completely agree with a single global passive fund strategy. You might want to look into other similar funds to VLS before making the final choice of which fund to use but it will do the job perfectly imo.

I would also make sure and pick the platform which is the best deal for you going forward fee wise and then you can put your feet up and ignore it all once it's set up.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    If you are going to make a long term commitment to VLS then you might want to consider transferring the ISA to Vanguard Investor which would have a 0.3% cheaper platform fee (although HL have an exit charge). Alternatively if going mostly passive with HL then consider Blackrock Consensus 85 or 100 which are discounted to a lower OCF than VLS.

Alternatively if you want to go active then the Lindsell Train Global Equity fund is heavily discounted on HL, has been going gangbusters recently and shows no sign of slowing.

Alex
    • pedro789
    • By pedro789 7th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pedro789
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    Thanks both, really appreciate the advice. Leaning toward VLS 80, forgive my ignorance but do I just instruct new platform to do the switch with HL? Does this happen in one transaction or can I drip money in?
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,949 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:27 PM
    You can hold VLS on HL but it costs 0.3% more than Vanguard Investor so do the maths to determine the breakeven point against the HL exit fee to decide if you want to change platform. When on VI you will have substantially less choice of funds so only switch if you are confident of staying invested with Vanguard.

To switch as cash or moving your investments 'in specie' (to avoid time out the market) then open a new ISA with Vanguard and instruct them to move the old HL account. HL may charge a fee to move 'in specie' so sell down your holdings to cash first if you want to be sure of a cash transfer.

Alex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

2,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin